Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 93 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 93 of 985 FirstFirst ... 83 92 93 94 103 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I talked to the store manager and he said it would be fully stocked tonight.

People are weird
    I was there earlier; holy hell did the insanity pick up. I had to do a double take when the entire potato section was empty.
    People were shopping with 2 shopping carts.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Demand is going WAAAAY down in a few days. Nothing about Coronavirus is going to make people eat more or shit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Demand is going WAAAAY down in a few days. Nothing about Coronavirus is going to make people eat more or shit more.
    My issue is my main meal of the day is lunch out, working from home means pretty dramatic increase in food needed for me haha.

Got that news yesterday, so going to the store today to grab some extra stuff was irritating.

From what I understand despite all of Italy being in quarantine, stores are still open.
    Last edited by killramos; 03-13-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

You can afford to shit more when you are stocked with TP.

My Ride
    Silverado

Its good people are hoarding food and not cash. A run on the banks would be a lot worse than a shortage of 2 ply

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Smash and grab is about $/kg.

iPads and Cellphones wins on that front.
    Printer ink and women's razor blades are a lot more $/kg than gold.

Fresh produce in Canada is at the whims of the USA. If California stops shipping (local hoarding or closed border) then no more fresh fruit.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Its good people are hoarding food and not cash. A run on the banks would be a lot worse than a shortage of 2 ply
    Christ. Don’t give these idiots more ideas!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Christ. Don’t give these idiots more ideas!
    You’re assuming Albertans have cash in the bank.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nissan x2

All these idiots buying up way too much shit. There is no way they need months worth of supplies when most perishables will go bad within days. A hand of bananas will be lucky to last a few days. People are just wasting food and if they just went about their daily lives there wouldn’t be a shortage of anything. They are stocking up on food they will never use or need.Too bad we don’t have a virus that targets IQs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kg810 View Post
    Then post the article you read so we can all view it and discuss it? I'm not reading what your posted selectively. The verbiage you used already shows that your mind is made up. You asked for other sources out there that could corroborate the findings in your Italian autopsy article because you're under the impression that the deaths counted as "death by Covid-19" could be "polluted" and somehow that means that Covid-19 isn't to be taken as serious as it is.

What's your goal exactly? Find "unpolluted" data so you can show everyone in this thread "Look guys! This study shows that 0% people infected with Covid-10 actually die from it! I was right! We don't need to worry!"

It's already been stated in this thread and virtually anywhere that is covering Covid-19 that you'll likely die from the 2nd or 3rd stage that arise from being infected (pneumonia and multi-organ failure). I don't understand how anyone would want to disassociate deaths by the 2nd or 3rd stage of attacks as "not dying by Covid-19" that makes absolutely zero sense. If you're confused, you can simply watch countless videos that tell you how Covid-19 can kill you.

If you're not talking about deaths by pneumonia or multi-organ failure, then it would help if you could post that Italian article or tell us what the cause of deaths were.

I read both lol. Maybe I missed the point of you posting that as if it was supposed to disprove something about the virus? It's clear that there is high variability among those infected and we've known that since January. I don't think there's been a precise number around those who get infected and show mild to no symptoms at all and why. I can't think of any other reason why you post that and think I would get upset at it other than you wanting to prove to me and everyone else wrong somehow, hence my reaction.

I've been following this thread since the start, can you please show me how many posts there are spreading "doom and gloom" because we might be reading different threads. I think most people participating in this thread have been pretty reasonable in their reactions as the situation develops. I don't recall anyone genuinely telling people to panic and that the world is ending, which I believe is the impression that you've somehow garnered from this thread.
    Seems like you may have read way too far into his posts? If someone was already receiving terminal care and expected to pass sooner than later, then dies shortly after COVID-19 makes a visit, it certainly does place question into how you categorize the death. I don't think he made any attempt to talk about the sort of hyperbole you're referring to. I don't recall reading anything like prior healthy people dying from COVID and trying to classify it as them dying from breathing complications.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Is this effecting the shelters? Today’s commute home was a little extra... cracky. Most notably in the +15s and on the train
    Makes sense. These people get their fix by panhandling money. If a huge portion of people are hiding out in their homes, there is a lot less panhandling income flying around, so these crack heads are getting hungry.

Just ran some numbers on available beds for US and Cad.

- 34 icu beds per 100,000 population. 340M / 100k = 3400 * 34 = 115,600 icu beds total
    - US 1 million hospital beds total. At any given time, about 68% of them are occupied. That leaves about 300,000 beds available nationwide.
    - 34 icu beds per 100k @ 68% capacity leaves 37,000 icu beds free.
    - 15% covid patients required hospitalization and 5% ended up in critical care.
    - 15% and 5% of 100k = 15,000 needing reg beds, 5000 needing icu beds per 100k
    - which means there can only be a max of 750k infections before the ICU beds are full.

Cut out the surgery's that can be held off for a bit and traffic restrictions may cut down on car accidents and the like and maybe you can get to 1 million.

Canada has 80,200 total hospital beds (other stats show it could be more like 73,000?)
    of which 5130 would be icu beds
    it would only take 102,600 cases @ 5% requiring icu care to reach = 5130 icu filled beds

With the current doubling time, that puts us around 30 days out to reach 100k (based off only 200 reported cases though)

That seems unlikely. People aren't hoarding because they expect to eat or shit more. They're hoarding due to fear of being confined to their home and needing to have supplies on hand, or fear that supply chain will shut down. Every time more news comes out that insinuates a worse problem, hoarding will increase. It's only a matter of time before Canada has to follow suit to other countries and ban flights from stage 3 countries, or enact isolation protocols.

I still don't get the toilet paper thing? I'd be hoarding canned food before anything else. There's a lot of other options to clean your ass, and starving to death with a clean ass makes little sense. Unless these are all people that are somehow outdoorsy enough to track, kill, dress, and prepare a wild animal for food. Yet so urbanized they can't figure out how to wipe their ass in the bush.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Supa Dexta View Post

- 34 icu beds per 100,000 population. 340M / 100k = 3400 * 34 = 115,600 icu beds total
    - US 1 million hospital beds total. At any given time, about 68% of them are occupied. That leaves about 300,000 beds available nationwide.
    - which means there can only be a max of 750k infections before the ICU beds are full.

Cut out the surgery's that can be held off for a bit and traffic restrictions may cut down on car accidents and the like and maybe you can get to 1 million.

Canada has 80,200 total hospital beds (other stats show it could be more like 73,000?)
    it would only take 102,600 cases @ 5% requiring icu care to reach = 5130 icu filled beds

With the current doubling time, that puts us around 30 days out to reach 100k (based off only 200 reported cases though)
    Except that for like 90% of cases, there is no need for hospitalization. It's pretty mild symptoms for most people based on anything I've read.

uh... numbers are hard. Thats where the 5% comes from. 5% need intensive care. 5% of 100k fills our 5000 beds.

**Should also be noted the canadian numbers don't take into account most of our beds would already be filled. US numbers based off empty beds.

edit: If we have similar usage rates as the US 68% of 5130 is 3489 beds filled already, leaving only 1641 available. Which means it would only take 33,000 cases @5% to fill up.

Numbers I see are somewhat out dated, but point to our occupancy being closer to 85-90%, not 68. That would paint an even grimmer picture, more like 800 beds empty - which gives us ~16,000 cases to work with (25 days)
    Last edited by Supa Dexta; 03-14-2020 at 05:40 AM.

uh... numbers are hard. Thats where the 5% comes from. 5% need intensive care. 5% of 100k fills our 5000 beds.

**Should also be noted the canadian numbers don't take into account most of our beds would already be filled. US numbers based off empty beds.

edit: If we have similar usage rates as the US 68% of 5130 is 3489 beds filled already, leaving only 1641 available. Which means it would only take 33,000 cases @5% to fill up.

Numbers I see are somewhat out dated, but point to our occupancy being closer to 85-90%, not 68. That would paint an even grimmer picture, more like 800 beds empty - which gives us ~16,000 cases to work with (25 days)
    Sorry, didn't notice that line where you mentioned the 5%.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I had read similar stats the other day... pretty sobering numbers.

Another good set of videos with some straight forward, easy to digest info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_yu...ature=youtu.be

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Sounds like most provinces are still only testing for those who have severe symptoms, have travelled to one of 6 area's, or were in contact with a positive case. This is what happens when you have a federal government that is operating on bad science, the bad policy trickles down across the individual provinces.

Canada is one of the few lucky countries to have bought time, with the ability to pro-actively test as many people as they can to isolate, reduce and delay/contain outbreaks, and they're blowing it. Only testing for severe cases is what you do when you admit the cats out of the bag, and there too many people to contact trace and contain.

It's incredible to see clear of examples from successful models across the world, and then for our government to ignore those and instead decide to follow the globalist nations of Europe who are collapsing their own healthcare systems and soon to be economies.
    Last edited by HuMz; 03-14-2020 at 08:38 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
    Sounds like most provinces are still only testing for those who have severe symptoms, have travelled to one of 6 area's, or were in contact with a positive case. This is what happens when you have a federal government that is operating on bad science, the bad policy trickles down across the individual provinces.

Canada is one of the few lucky countries to have bought time, with the ability to pro-actively test as many people as they can to isolate, reduce and delay/contain outbreaks, and they're blowing it. Only testing for severe cases is what you do when you admit the cats out of the bag, and there too many people to contact trace and contain.

It's incredible to see clear of examples from successful models across the world, and then for our government to ignore those and instead decide to follow the globalist nations of Europe who are collapsing their own healthcare systems and soon to be economies.
    That’s 100% the case in Alberta which I think it’s foolish to think we don’t have community spread here. We tried to get a test and even have symptoms and they said since we hadn’t travelled to those affected areas then we weren’t eligible for a test

These are numbers from 2009 of Canada’s critical care capacity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4426537/

“We identified 286 hospitals with 3170 ICU beds and 4982 mechanical ventilators for critically ill patients.”

Alberta had 292 ICU beds capable of invasive ventilation and 373 ventilators. 3 Hospitals capable of ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation). Old numbers, but sobering.

Page 93 of 985 FirstFirst ... 83 92 93 94 103 ... LastLast