Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 284 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 284 of 985 FirstFirst ... 274 283 284 285 294 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,680 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Model S

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get to work or go home, isn’t that what they're preaching? The level to which the scare has become almost religious makes this exceedingly ironic.

They really have a high opinion of themselves.

Imagine WWII, the injuries, wounds, death and destruction, this comes no where close. If these people find these conditions tough, they should ask grandma how she did it.

Haha, so these braindead non-sequiturs aren’t even original thoughts apparently?

https://www.reddit.com/r/metacanada/..._poor/folx3nj/
    T0mThomas 40 points 2 days ago
    Get to work or go home, isn’t that what you’re preaching?
    The level to which the covid-19 scare has become almost religious makes this exceedingly ironic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metacanada/..._poor/folxtlj/
    Unable_South 29 points 2 days ago
    Wow, they really have a high opinion of themselves.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/metacanada/..._poor/fomua5g/
    Staff complain but imagine world war 2, the injuries and wounds, the death and destruction.
    This comes no where close. These people find these conditions tough, they should ask grandma how she did it.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    How many NATO countries cut direct flights to China in early January?

Of the NATO countries that cut direct flights in January, how'd it work out for them?
    How well has flattening the curve worked out for us here, by our actions now?

The exact same argument applies for early, limited action by the ditherals in Ottawa.

If they dont want to flatten the curve, then fuck - society should not suffer the economic calamity as a result of their dithering.

How many NATO countries cut direct flights to China in early January?

Of the NATO countries that cut direct flights in January, how'd it work out for them?
    You just don't understand, Canada is so completely different in every way from countries like Italy and (checks notes) the US?

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Who cares about the flights at this point in time. What about the fact these seniors care facilities share staff? Who thought that traveling care providers was a good idea when being around the highest risk groups?

The lack of targeted restrictions around the high risk groups is embarrassing. Same goes for seniors hours at grocery stores. Why was that left up to the business to figure out and not orchestrated by the government to "protect" us. Seems like more tail chasing then methodical decision making.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    Oh god. He's on r/metacanada? That explains a whole lot.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    So waterworks leaves letters on everyone’s door steps asking for access to our clean outs... due to a cross connection concern (on a street where infrastructure was put in in 1978!)... obviously ignored that, first off... quarantine... but second, they’re basically asking to cam our sewer lines... so they want to drag a poop covered camera through every fucking house on this street???

So clearly I ignore that request.

Today I look out the window... 5, fucking 5 city workers standing around a manhole... great social distancing guys!

Attachment 91027
    You didn’t post of photo of a social gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    How well has flattening the curve worked out for us here, by our actions now?
    We haven't overloaded the health system, so things are going pretty well.

Also, you didn't answer the question. which countries did it and how'd they do in the past three months?

The exact same argument applies for early, limited action by the ditherals in Ottawa.
    There are things that are done for optics, your hard on for travel bans is one of them. You do it to make people feel like something is being done and you're doing something about it. As a way to stop the spread, not all that effective (which you'll see when you figure out what countries had the travel bans you had a hard on for).

My Ride

We haven't overloaded the health system, so things are going pretty well.

Also, you didn't answer the question. which countries did it and how'd they do in the past three months?

There are things that are done for optics, your hard on for travel bans is one of them. You do it to make people feel like something is being done and you're doing something about it. As a way to stop the spread, not all that effective (which you'll see when you figure out what countries had the travel bans you had a hard on for).
    Oh really? So the governments inaction by NOT flattening the curve (ie. restricting travelers from the immediate wuhan area early on) had no consequences at all?

How the fuck do you think the bug got into Canada then - by boat? The early carriers are what got us going. Once the epidemic had reached a certain level (enough carriers in our country already), shutting down air travel would have had much less of an effect that doing it earlier to the specific area.

And yes, by us SHUTTING DOWN most of the economy, we had measurable 'flattening' effects, yes. So the idea obviously worked - but the people are now forced to suffer (economically) as a result of dithering.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-28-2020 at 03:13 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    You didn’t post of photo of a social gathering.
    Riiight, BECAUSE ESSENTIAL!!!! Forgot covid is selective! Silly me, it only attacks efficient private sector workers

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Riiight, BECAUSE ESSENTIAL!!!! Forgot covid is selective! Silly me, it only attacks efficient private sector workers
    "My dad says we don't have to social distance" - 10yo kid of a Airdrie RCMP officer as three RCMP families have a garage party

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    "My dad says we don't have to social distance" - 10yo kid of a Airdrie RCMP officer as three RCMP families have a garage party
    Nothing new here.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

154 new cases, lowest in like 12 days so looking up. Some easing of restrictions to start in May but will be a slow roll out

Oh really? So the governments inaction by NOT flattening the curve (ie. restricting travelers from the immediate wuhan area early on) had no consequences at all?

How the fuck do you think the bug got into Canada then - by boat? The early carriers are what got us going. Once the epidemic had reached a certain level (enough carriers in our country already), shutting down air travel would have had much less of an effect that doing it earlier to the specific area.

And yes, by us SHUTTING DOWN most of the economy, we had measurable 'flattening' effects, yes. So the idea obviously worked - but the people are now forced to suffer (economically) as a result of dithering.
    I get exactly what you're saying. Even if Kert wants to build an argument out of conjecture and hindsight, it doesn't change the fact that shutting down flights from affected areas immediately would have been the prudent choice that could have started flattening the curve before the curve started. Which means we could have potentially had less economic issues by this point in time. And now that we know there was no curve to flatten in the first place, as all countries suffered the same sort of spike regardless of reactive actions taken, we could be focused on restarting what would have been a much less intrusive shutdown to begin with.

But this will be a forever argument as I've mentioned before. The crazies living in Narnia will forever argue that our late aggressive lockdown measures are what prevented 50% of Canada from dying. It's the Obama argument all over again. Even though Obama seriously stifled economic recovery, the looney left still likes to pretend that all of Trumps successes are just a delayed result of Obama's actions.

My Ride
    Bicycle

End of the day, if we didn't get it from China, we got it from Iran and Italy. How it got in just a pointless talking point. We had a open world and we benefited from it until now. The same voices of oppositions will pipe up if we lock it down 2 weeks earlier or later or whatever.

I think we should learn from South Korea and Asian countries that isn't China on how to proceed going forward. Because in about 3-4 years, another one will come and it'll be nastier next time. Thinks of deaths of SARS 1 and spread of COVID19.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-28-2020 at 04:28 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    End of the day, if we didn't get it from China, we got it from Iran and Italy. How it got in just a pointless talking point. We had a open world and we benefited from it until now. The same voices of oppositions will pipe up if we lock it down 2 weeks earlier or later or whatever.

I think we should learn from South Korea and Asian countries that isn't China on how to proceed going forward. Because in about 3-4 years, another one will come and it'll be nastier next time. Thinks of deaths of SARS 1 and spread of COVID19.
    Thats not it - its about FLATTENING the curve. Yes, we would have gotten more C19 cases from other sources, but an early response would have FLATTENED the curve.

Is this not making sense? We are hammered all over for we the people to flatten the curve, when the dithering bobble heads in Ottawa, didnt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    I get exactly what you're saying. Even if Kert wants to build an argument out of conjecture and hindsight, it doesn't change the fact that shutting down flights from affected areas immediately would have been the prudent choice that could have started flattening the curve before the curve started. Which means we could have potentially had less economic issues by this point in time. And now that we know there was no curve to flatten in the first place, as all countries suffered the same sort of spike regardless of reactive actions taken, we could be focused on restarting what would have been a much less intrusive shutdown to begin with.

But this will be a forever argument as I've mentioned before. The crazies living in Narnia will forever argue that our late aggressive lockdown measures are what prevented 50% of Canada from dying. It's the Obama argument all over again. Even though Obama seriously stifled economic recovery, the looney left still likes to pretend that all of Trumps successes are just a delayed result of Obama's actions.
    100% correct - yes there was no real curve to flatten (as it turned out in the end), but the fact that Ottawa was capable of this level of hypocrisy (we wont do it, but you should all suffer economically instead) is not at all surprising.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Thats not it - its about FLATTENING the curve. Yes, we would have gotten more C19 cases from other sources, but an early response would have FLATTENED the curve.

Is this not making sense? We are hammered all over for we the people to flatten the curve, when the dithering bobble heads in Ottawa, didnt.

But all Western world is flattening the curve. Not as stellar as Australia or South Korea but all are flattening?

I think the result isn't bad given how many people DNGAF about isolation or doing what's asked of.

May be I am not understanding your argument, you think Ottawa should point guns at people's heads to keep them home to flatten it quicker?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 04-28-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Did it for the countries that did it? No. So why do you keep going on about it?

You shut down Wuhan, they go to Beijing or Shanghai. You shut down China they go Beijing or Shanghai to another city then to Canada. You can't close the border to Canadians coming home. Canadians coming home from Iran and Italy were the catalyst in infections, how would a flight ban from China have stopped that?

As opposed to the countries that did shut down flights early on like Italy and the U.S. and their burgeoning economies right now?

You basically want our response to be like Sweden's, who only installed travel bans because the EU/EC called for it in Mid-March (the same time Canada did). I guess that's not something to be angry about so it doesn't really fly.

Travel bans are primarily about optics, and we know how you feel about decisions driven by optics.

My Ride

You basically want our response to be like Sweden's, who only installed travel bans because the EU/EC called for it in Mid-March (the same time Canada did). I guess that's not something to be angry about so it doesn't really fly.

Travel bans are primarily about optics, and we know how you feel about decisions driven by optics.
    No, I dont want to be Sweden - a very stupid conclusion on your part.

Sorry, but optics likely only played into the liberals thinking when they did not want to ban Wuhan (or that province) flights for fear of bad optics.

Lets try this:

(in order of chronology)

- ban direct flights from Wuhan (if there were any)
    - ban flights originating from China (most of the early carriers were, surprise, from china)
    - immediate institution of measures for the vulnerable in Canada (eg. isolation)
    (and then INCREMENTALLY escalating as needed, close borders, etc.)

Had the dildos in Ottawa done something (even small) immediately, we could have likely avoided a lot of the needless debacle.

They did not flatten the curve, even when it was told to them that small measures should be taken in EARLY january.
    Last edited by revelations; 04-28-2020 at 04:59 PM.

So why didn’t the measures work for the NATO countries that implement it in January? Or early February?

Did it for the countries that did it? No. So why do you keep going on about it?

You shut down Wuhan, they go to Beijing or Shanghai. You shut down China they go Beijing or Shanghai to another city then to Canada. You can't close the border to Canadians coming home. Canadians coming home from Iran and Italy were the catalyst in infections, how would a flight ban from China have stopped that?

As opposed to the countries that did shut down flights early on like Italy and the U.S. and their burgeoning economies right now?

We can apply your logic to the current ongoing as well. Sure an early travel ban would have slowed the curve and delayed the spike, but in the end we get the same thing long term. So why support a national lockdown now? It might flatten the curve(turns out it actually doesnt), but long term the same result of deaths occur.

Either way, you're still making a red herring in regards to his argument. What you think you know now is irrelevant. At the time it was a prudent decision to shut down flights from affected countries, especially considering Canada had more heads up than any other country, and that would've been an opportunity to attempt flattening the curve before it started. But the government did absolutely nothing instead, and they're now expecting the people to do everything in their power to flatten the curve which was the government's job in the first place.

And believe it or not, Canada is capable of making decisions about its own country without permission from EU.

Page 284 of 985 FirstFirst ... 274 283 284 285 294 ... LastLast