Quantcast
Expanding NATO membership - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Expanding NATO membership

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Expanding NATO membership

Thought this had relevance far beyond the "Putin vs Ukraine" thread.

So Canada is a founding member and key playing in the formation of NATO. It's original purpose was deterrence and mutual aid against the Soviet Union and somewhat also Germany.

Since those early days, more members have been added pushing towards the Russian border.
    Name:  History_of_NATO_enlargement.svg.png
Views: 326
Size:  385.3 KB

One of the key features of the alliance is the fact that "an attack on one is an attack on all" which effectively means of one country is engaged in a defensive war, then ALL members are effectively at war. This is not a small responsibility, and in my mind it is the number 1 primary argument against any kind of expansion for NATO membership.

Now, Ukraine. This week the US secretary of state stated that "Ukraine will become a member of NATO."
    Name:  Screenshot_20240407-075659.png
Views: 317
Size:  100.8 KB

Since Ukraine is currently embroiled in an active war, if that were to become reality today, that would out Canada into an active war. And not just sending a few obsolete weapons or writing cheques. We'd be sending troops, and woukd become a legitimate military target for Ukraine adversary.

This is not in Canada's self interest. Avoiding active wars is objectively better than voluntarily entering into them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post

We'd be sending troops, and woukd become a legitimate military target for Ukraine adversary.

This is not in Canada's self interest. Avoiding active wars is objectively better than voluntarily entering into them.
    There is nothing left to send.

Can we send the lady boys who want tampons in the men's washroom?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Can we send the lady boys who want tampons in the men's washroom?
    The Liberal/NDP government are to cowardly to fight.

The only border conflict that is physically possible is the border conflict with the USA. Which if it does come to fruition, makes no sense for Canada to fund a potential land aggressor.

Now, you could argue long range drones and electric paramotors to invade countries with borders as tight as Europe is possible.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americ...ys-2024-04-05/

Mexico seems to be on verge of border issue with Ecuador. Close neighbors are only as friendly as long as one side does not run their lawnmover at 2am. Canada still has a king on the coins, and the USA's biggest fight was arguably not the extremely late and pretty much over - WWII, but the war for freedom against tyrannical oppression - the British.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-07-2024 at 09:48 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

NATO should just declare all out war on.Russia. We need a bigger military, and our young lazy generation could use a good old fashioned draft and mandatory military service to shape them up.

Enough meaningless gestures, let's get to it!
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    fart noises
    Translation.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

For some reason the war mongers in USA want to call Putin's bluff on WW3/nuclear war. But its a bit crazy IMO. mainly because if they are wrong then we all die and I'm not really about that life (death).
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

The Morbid reality of life after a Nuclear Bomb in today's Age

--> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ucky-ones.html

Mutual assured destruction prevents this but I guess those Billionaires who are building up Bunkers have nothing to worry about. They must be prepping for something big.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 04Terminator View Post
    NATO should just declare all out war on.Russia. We need a bigger military, and our young lazy generation could use a good old fashioned draft and mandatory military service to shape them up.

Enough meaningless gestures, let's get to it!
    I don't know what the rules are...but in Ukraine, up until last week it was like 27-60 y.o I believe, now it's 25 because they need more people as many have died. Pretty sure majority of people on here would fit that bill...and hence could be drafted. It's not just for young lads. All of this non-sense for Ukraine? No thanks. No-one gave a shit about Ukraine right up until it became beneficial to them to use Ukraine to counter Russia. If Ukraine went to war with Azerbaijan or anyone else but Russia, people would continue to give 0 fucks about Ukraine. NATO's sole existence is based on needing an adversary, and they have a good one in Russia. At any rate, I would never fight someone else's war, and as ExtraSlow stated, it's not in Canada's interest to be involved with NATO from that perspective, our only saving grace would be that no-one would need our help, as we have nothing to contribute

My Ride
    Trucks

All this conflict could be resolved if we just finally let Russia join the NATO Alliance. I’d be pissed too if all my friends were singling me out from a big party.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You are totally correct that NATO has been making this conflict much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Pipe

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ucky-ones.html

This is essentially just a self promotional article for her book which was just released. That said, the book is worth reading. As are her other books.

My Ride
    '13 GT1R

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    I don't know what the rules are...but in Ukraine, up until last week it was like 27-60 y.o I believe, now it's 25 because they need more people as many have died. Pretty sure majority of people on here would fit that bill...and hence could be drafted. It's not just for young lads. All of this non-sense for Ukraine? No thanks. No-one gave a shit about Ukraine right up until it became beneficial to them to use Ukraine to counter Russia. If Ukraine went to war with Azerbaijan or anyone else but Russia, people would continue to give 0 fucks about Ukraine. NATO's sole existence is based on needing an adversary, and they have a good one in Russia. At any rate, I would never fight someone else's war, and as ExtraSlow stated, it's not in Canada's interest to be involved with NATO from that perspective, our only saving grace would be that no-one would need our help, as we have nothing to contribute
    Mandatory service was 18-27. Because we played games with the Russians, they slaughtered those young men at the start of the war. Ukraine is so short of men, they passed a law that 18-60 year olds can't leave the country.

Canada isn't going to start any draft with 40 year olds with dad bods. Be serious.

The Russians need to be put in their place.
    GT1R. 8.82@169
    Mission

My Ride
    *The First*

Oh look - Toma is sharting in his sweatpants.