Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 450 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 450 of 985 FirstFirst ... 440 449 450 451 460 ... LastLast
Results 8,981 to 9,000 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does CRA still have a bounty on fraud tips? Asking for a friend.
    I have to figure out how to capitalize on this... could be in a veeeery lucrative job and not even realize it

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Here we go.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ilot-1.5772637

This is what travelers need.

In theory, this should reduce 14 days to 7 days. I think 36hrs is too optimistic.

But also if it works for the prairies, it will role out country wide later.

That's all assuming the CRA isn't told to just ignore any pandemic specials that were given out. Yah they are saying its taxable now. But if there is an election...

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Any data on how many people in Canada died from Covid that were otherwise healthy?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Any data on how many people in Canada died from Covid that were otherwise healthy?
    The only way to kind of judge is by annual excess deaths. Canada had 7000 more than normal in the first 6 months (no data beyond that yet). The US on the other hand has seen over 300,000 excess deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    The only way to kind of judge is by annual excess deaths. Canada had 7000 more than normal in the first 6 months (no data beyond that yet). The US on the other hand has seen over 300,000 excess deaths.
    Do you have a link to those by chance? Only stats I've seen to date show us being right on track for a typical average death count.

We should be seeing an uptick in deaths from suicide if nothing else. I know lefties like to paint that as some type of conspiracy talking point, but it is a studied topic and suicide has a major correlation to unemployment rate.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7236718/
    Last edited by Misterman; 10-22-2020 at 01:57 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Do you have a link to those by chance? Only stats I've seen to date show us being right on track for a typical average death count.

We should be seeing an uptick in deaths from suicide if nothing else. I know lefties like to paint that as some type of conspiracy talking point, but it is a studied topic and suicide has a major correlation to unemployment rate.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Average of 12% more deaths in 2020 compared to 2019.

As for expected suicide rate due to economy devastation..... It's a possibility. But so far data doesn't suggest it's happening or at least AB is debunking that theory so far or CERB and EI are delaying it for a year or 2.

Last edited by Xtrema; 10-22-2020 at 02:10 PM.

I don't think i've ever seen the whole "uptick in suicides due to shitty COVID economy" thing be called a conspiracy theory by lefties or anyone else for that matter. Got a source?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1310078501

AB has about ~10% more deaths than 2019 thru July . Since we can't really quantify what's "healthy" this is as close as answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Average of 12% more deaths in 2020 compared to 2019.

As for expected suicide rate due to economy devastation..... It's a possibility. But so far data doesn't suggest it's happening or at least AB is debunking that theory so far or CERB and EI are delaying it for a year or 2.

Thanks for the suicide numbers. I took a quick look but didn't come across anything from this year yet.

The mortality numbers are all US numbers unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I don't think i've ever seen the whole "uptick in suicides due to shitty COVID economy" thing be called a conspiracy theory by lefties or anyone else for that matter. Got a source?
    A source of idiots spouting off? No. You can witness it anywhere there is a big left wing hive mind like Reddit and whatnot when a discussion about covid comes up.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The mortality numbers are all US numbers unfortunately.
    US has a worse social safety net (especially comes to health care). So I would think they would have higher numbers than us anyway.

If a moderate increase of 5% of suicide does materialize in AB, than we are looking at ~40 extra deaths per year. If you want to put that into context against COVID deaths.

According to this, we're seeing a surprising reduction in suicides from the 5 year average:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-s...sion-1.5100299

Which of course goes against what was observed from 2014 to 2015 with the predictable spike in suicides as a result of layoffs and the recession.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...offs-1.3353662

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

What do you guys think about that info? I feel like back in 2014-2015, it was more segregated to our economy here, so I can see why that number increased.

The notion that this is more of a worldwide thing and we're all dealing with this together, I can see why suicide rates wouldn't change. When people feel like they are the only ones dealing with it, the temptation is probably more apparent. Just my two-cents.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    What do you guys think about that info? I feel like back in 2014-2015, it was more segregated to our economy here, so I can see why that number increased.

The notion that this is more of a worldwide thing and we're all dealing with this together, I can see why suicide rates wouldn't change. When people feel like they are the only ones dealing with it, the temptation is probably more apparent. Just my two-cents.
    Also, it's been 5 years, people already accustomed to the oil downturn. So people who off themselves after their boats got repo'd are long gone.

On top, we have a way more generous CERB this time compared to EI, that should delay it a bit.

Too lazy to dig up AB stats before 2014 but seems like we have been hovering 10/100K even in good times as a country and 14/100k in bad times.

AB has never drop below 13/100k since 2014 and peaked at 16 in 2015.
    https://www.suicideinfo.ca/resource/...ts-region-age/

EDIT:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Canada

Now this is interesting... 2000-2007 was probably the best economic period this province has ever seen in the last 30 years. Average suicide rate still hovers around 13/100K.

So for AB, 13 is the norm?

EDIT2:
    Yup, I recalled correctly.
    https://economicdashboard.alberta.ca/Unemployment

Unemployment rate during 2000-2007 was as high as 6% and as low as 3.5% One of the strongest period ever and suicide rate is still almost double of Ontario's. Albertans are more emo's than I thought.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-22-2020 at 03:21 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If the suicide rate is lower, I'm both surprised and relived. I know a lot of people struggling this year, and I have been basically waiting for one of my friends to die by their own hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Does suicide by opiates count?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If the suicide rate is lower, I'm both surprised and relived. I know a lot of people struggling this year, and I have been basically waiting for one of my friends to die by their own hands.
    Get them to the right resources. Christmas and New Years are rough if they are already on the edge.

Also, it's been 5 years, people already accustomed to the oil downturn. So people who off themselves after their boats got repo'd are long gone.

On top, we have a way more generous CERB this time compared to EI, that should delay it a bit.

Too lazy to dig up AB stats before 2014 but seems like we have been hovering 10/100K even in good times as a country and 14/100k in bad times.

AB has never drop below 13/100k since 2014 and peaked at 16 in 2015.
    https://www.suicideinfo.ca/resource/...ts-region-age/

EDIT:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Canada

Now this is interesting... 2000-2007 was probably the best economic period this province has ever seen in the last 30 years. Average suicide rate still hovers around 13/100K.

So for AB, 13 is the norm?

EDIT2:
    Yup, I recalled correctly.
    https://economicdashboard.alberta.ca/Unemployment

Unemployment rate during 2000-2007 was as high as 6% and as low as 3.5% One of the strongest period ever and suicide rate is still almost double of Ontario's. Albertans are more emo's than I thought.
    I wonder how much provincial immigration played a role during that period from 2000-2007? We had droves of people moving here back then with the assumption that they would just claim their 100k/yr job at the provincial border. Those people were inevitably let down when they got here and realized that with a grade 8 education they could get a job no problem in our booming economy, but it would be scrubbing toilets for people that make 100k/yr.

- - - Updated - - -

US has a worse social safety net (especially comes to health care). So I would think they would have higher numbers than us anyway.

If a moderate increase of 5% of suicide does materialize in AB, than we are looking at ~40 extra deaths per year. If you want to put that into context against COVID deaths.
    The problem is trying to compare it to covid deaths, because the death count is so unclear with covid. That is why there is interest to see where our annual total death numbers fall. We already know the stats from the US are a complete clusterfuck. And they are wildly different state to state depending what government is in charge. Essentially most stats from the US can't be trusted.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The problem is trying to compare it to covid deaths, because the death count is so unclear with covid. That is why there is interest to see where our annual total death numbers fall. We already know the stats from the US are a complete clusterfuck. And they are wildly different state to state depending what government is in charge. Essentially most stats from the US can't be trusted.
    Instead of going down the rabbit hole of ME calling something COVID death by mistake or not.... just use all death stats.

We if end up getting 4 more deaths/mth due to suicide (48 for the year), we are looking at ~0.2% increase in excess death in AB. Pales to the 10% excess death COVID has caused in comparison.

or if you prefer worst case at 30% increase instead of 5% in that study, it would be a 1.2% increase in excess death.

But it's all just a projection. Tam had a projection of 44k COVID deaths back in Apr with all the control in place and we have only hit 10k so far.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-22-2020 at 04:41 PM.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1310078501

AB has about ~10% more deaths than 2019 thru July . Since we can't really quantify what's "healthy" this is as close as answer to your question.
    My view of healthy is no pre-existing known health conditions, doesn't smoke, consumption of fun stuff at or below the health Canada guidelines and of course being able to dead/squat/bench your body weight for reps.

I doubt there are figures out there from any country where someone aged, say 18-60, died exclusively from COVID when there was nothing wrong with them to begin with. My guess the number is so low it's nearly insignificant. In the end, the better your overall health is, fat %, activity levels, diet etc play a huge role in deterrence to any viral disease. COVID is only deadly for a very small percentage of the Canadian population.
    Last edited by jutes; 10-22-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Page 450 of 985 FirstFirst ... 440 449 450 451 460 ... LastLast