Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 524 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 524 of 985 FirstFirst ... 514 523 524 525 534 ... LastLast
Results 10,461 to 10,480 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Edmonton is getting rekt at the moment. Two days ago Calgary and Edmonton had the same 7 day cases, now Edmonton is up 3519 to 2682 just two days later. Unfortunate since Edmonton has a lot more hospitalized and ICU too. It's gonna be really ugly there really soon.
    That damn conservative paradise. Easy to see why they are surging

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Agreed. I wonder if we’ll see the sacred cow that is school touched this time. They can’t really close restaurants and gyms using the justification that while they aren’t risky, we don’t know where the majority of cases are coming from while keeping schools open using the justification that they haven’t linked a lot of cases to them.
    Again if normal flu get spread thru kids every season, I can guarantee they will drag COVID home at much higher pace. But we cannot resume a normal economy with schools closed so here we are.

I had a feeling that someone knows a Dec lock down is inevitable with schools opened, they just can't say it or hope they are wrong.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-22-2020 at 11:29 PM.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7469571/c...at-home-tests/

Interesting article on the at home testing

My Ride
    ute

Agreed. I wonder if we’ll see the sacred cow that is school touched this time. They can’t really close restaurants and gyms using the justification that while they aren’t risky, we don’t know where the majority of cases are coming from while keeping schools open using the justification that they haven’t linked a lot of cases to them.
    They shouldn't use that as a justification, but it's the most palatable for the public. Schools need to stay open because they have a fundamental place in our society. At any rate, my guess is that they will extend christmas holidays by two weeks..probably in mid-december. But it will be relatively late announcement, they don't want people making holiday plans.

If we can flatten this wave at ~1,000 cases per day, then we can probably manage a low steady state for a few months until vaccines start to get rolled out. I think we will have this wave and one more in early 2021 before we can start to relax.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Again if normal flu get spread thru kids every season, I can guarantee they will drag COVID home at much higher pace. But we cannot resume a normal economy with schools closed so here we are.

I had a feeling that someone knows a Dec lock down is inevitable with schools opened, they just can't say it or hope they are wrong.
    And you get a normal economy by closing businesses using half baked data and keeping schools open with the same bad data?

Let’s say we leave schools open during a lockdown and there isn’t a marked decrease in cases, is the excuse then just going to be that people must be flouting the rules because it certainly can’t be schools? Maybe some blame to the low single digits that aren’t wearing a mask.
    Last edited by FraserB; 11-22-2020 at 11:40 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    ute

And you get a normal economy by closing businesses using half baked data and keeping schools open with the same bad data?

Let’s say we leave schools open during a lockdown and there isn’t a marked decrease in cases, is the excuse then just going to be that people must be flouting the rules because it certainly can’t be schools? Maybe some blame to the low single digits that aren’t wearing a mask.
    If you don't close schools then the data will tell you nothing about what happens when you close schools.

Honestly people.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

You know Calgary has a bylaw stating you can be fined up to $1k for littering. People litter all the fucking time, even in front of people who can enforce the rule.

So, just put the bylaw into effect that you can be fined $1k, give a couple idiots like the Costco bitch the fine to set an example and then people can finally shut the fuck up. All those people at the rally I guarantee you will be the biggest coward ever if they knew they could be fined and their mom won't be able to bail them out. I honestly don't understand why North American culture can't put their foot down once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    Between the ages of 0 and 19 there have been ~9200 cases of Covid and 0 deaths in Alberta.

For the age of 80 and up there have been ~1600 cases of Covid and 308 deaths in Alberta.

I have kids and I have zero concerns if they get Covid. They will get sick and that sucks, but they will recover.
    Or you kids are the unlucky ones who end up at the filled ICU with no beds and die from something that was preventable but hey at least you kept the economy rolling!

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Some of you guys are straight up cartoon villains in your lack of empathy and ethics.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I have kids and I have zero concerns if they get Covid. They will get sick and that sucks, but they will recover.
    I'm beginning to wonder about you, not that you care.

Gets panties in a bunch when people say Chrysler products are cheap inside, doesn't understand why someone finds Miata/lower HP car more fun than a Trackhawk, and now this mentality about your own kids and Covid. Lots of self-entitled attitude here and I certainly hope you act different in person. Just sayin'.

Although maybe I'm just grumpy on a Sunday night ... *shrugs*

My Ride
    Bicycle

Nobody get to have a normal economy when hospitals are full. Simple as that.

We tried but we failed. Mostly because people don't like changes especially when it's inconvenient and fall victims to alt-theories.

Like Buster said, the business closing last week was just a warning shot by stopping least impacting businesses 1st and buy the retail sector another week or 2 for the critical Christmas season. Most retail makes it or break in over the next 4 weeks and sounds like it's being cut down by at least 2 weeks from the looks of it.

For some reason, when there were uber cheap flights to Van around Christmas time like back in late Sep, it almost feels like someone already know Dec will be a total shit show and I swear I have read that someone has a model for Dec shut down and advised retail to push the shopping season up (probably why high end TVs didn't wait for BF for huge discounts to get people out). This is also why I have also finished Christmas shopping and already delivered all to friends and families this week.

As for what things would have looked like with school closed, who knows? But school closing will mean keeping at least 1 parent and 1 kid home per household. So it will kind of like a lock down but with bigger economic impact due to productivity lost in the workforce.

In the face of this, there isn't any "right" decisions here. Everything is a compromise. We already know what works against COVID. We are just throwing shit on wall and see what sticks instead of doing what we already know works.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-23-2020 at 01:04 AM.

My Ride
    ute

Also, people are too dumb to make smart decisions in the absence of very clear direction from the gov't. But we already knew people were dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    You know Calgary has a bylaw stating you can be fined up to $1k for littering. People litter all the fucking time, even in front of people who can enforce the rule.

So, just put the bylaw into effect that you can be fined $1k, give a couple idiots like the Costco bitch the fine to set an example and then people can finally shut the fuck up. All those people at the rally I guarantee you will be the biggest coward ever if they knew they could be fined and their mom won't be able to bail them out. I honestly don't understand why North American culture can't put their foot down once in a while.
    Listen hear boy, Freedom Isn't Free! These Colours Don't Run! You don't want to go to forever war? Fuck you queer. You don't want your constituional rights stripped to the bone? What will you tell the mother of the little boy in Iowa when Al Qaeda parachutes in and saws off her babies head? Huh? What will you say then? Sacrifices must be made! Respect our troops as they go off to protect your freedoms, that also need to be severely compromised, so we can be safe! The government needs the power to do whatever they want whenever they want if it's to keep us safe

Oh, wrong script. Ahem

Guess what everybody? Freedom is free this time. Wear a mask? Fuck you. Read the constitution, NO MASKS! Who gave the government the power to tell us what to do? No one has ever been as opressed as we are right now. Trust the plan, watch the skies!
    ----
    It's absolutely shocking to see that the venn diagram of people who called me a fag in the 2000s for opposing the PATRIOT ACT and people now calling for unlimited freedom from government control is a perfect circle. At least now instead of slurs, the few that haven't blocked me just call me a communist. So that's progress

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    To counter that

If people would fucking grow up and follow the rules a lock down wouldn’t need to be considered - that is if it even is
    Such a silly way to look at things. "If everyone would voluntarily lock themselves down, we wouldn't have to do a lockdown"

It's no wonder people don't want to follow the rules, there isn't any sensibility in the rules. And if the government doesn't want to protect the vulnerable, people are wondering why the hell they should have to.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    So the plan is do nothing sit on our hands and watch the ICU fill up? Then when people are dying in mass because there's no beds what's the plan exactly? How do people feel about the Children's hospital also currently having ~37 kids hospitalized due to covid?

Oh right this is only an old people disease and we should just let it spread like wildfire because no one is going to die right?
    Yeah I suppose you could just ignore what everyone actually says to make yourself feel better about yelling at clouds. I have heard very few people ever say to just let nature take it's course. The key is protecting the vulnerable in the mean time. And you can spew all the hyperbole you want, but this is largely a senior citizen problem, and without them being sick there wouldn't be an issue with hospital beds(not that there is likely to be a problem anyway). Even though we are talking about protecting all the vulnerable and not just seniors.

And AGAIN, the mortality is still so low on this, that it is up to you hoaxers to justify why this level of mortality is suddenly not ok, when it was perfectly acceptable 8 months ago and nobody cared about people dying. And why only this specific cause of death?

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Name:  4niqqc.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  67.2 KB
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    Some of you guys are straight up cartoon villains in your lack of empathy and ethics.
    I think that's a pretty small subset of the population. I'd say the vast majority are struggling to compare two bad options, one that is guaranteed to harm them economically, and the other that has some probability of harming them physically.

That's not the sort of choice that is easy for an individual to make, and it's not one that I'm in a position to judge in others.

I'm really lucky in that a lockdown, even with schools closed, wouldn't hurt my family particularly badly. That's rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Maybe?
    That is called an assumption.

Do I disagree? Not necessarily, but until we see evidence of this happening then we have to conclude this is an isolated incident.
    As I said there’s more of them out there

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ital-1.5811414
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Oxford vaccine likely to be cheaper and easier to store/transport, also effective :
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55040635
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Bow Tie TWIV doc says that we just gotta hold out for a few more months.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I think that's a pretty small subset of the population.
    The ones on Beyond have shown a history of these characteristics (or lack of) long before Covid hit. I've also noted most of them are from Edmonton.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    As I said there’s more of them out there

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ital-1.5811414
    This is why putting seniors away make as much sense as telling a 5 year old to cook dinner for the family on a open fire pit. If 10% of their care takers are hit, it will eventually hit the seniors.

Even if people over 60s deserves to die, there is no point putting our health care professionals in such position.

People are too selfish to think of others. I guess it's just basic human nature.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-23-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Page 524 of 985 FirstFirst ... 514 523 524 525 534 ... LastLast