Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 398 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 398 of 985 FirstFirst ... 388 397 398 399 408 ... LastLast
Results 7,941 to 7,960 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A test strip a day, every working day for the working US population would be around $40 billion a year.
    It would still be an insane ROI at that price.

I think the strips will also allow for a way to pool results - swabs into a container, container gets tested - voila one strip per day. If you get a positive in a house then you can test each individual to see who caused the positive - but that wouldn't even be necessary since the whole family would isolate.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    There is real concern that the acute phase of COVID is somewhat distinct from the long term impact of COVID on other organs. As you mention, the severe symptoms of the acute phase seem to be relatively rare and becoming more predictable. But we don't know what is happening in the long haul to everyone.
    So China harvests organs, long term impact on organs due to Covid, ppl need organs, China has, China sells, or all this avail on the dark web. Okay I better leave this to @ZenOps

- - - Updated - - -

That $1 test strip might be the highest ROI spend in the history of mankind. And I ain't exaggerating on that.
    Imagine that. Place in your mouth, changes colors, bam that's it ez pz
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

China has organ selling to an artform. No doubt the USA lacks expertise in this market segment.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post

Imagine that. Place in your mouth, changes colors, bam that's it ez pz
    Pretty much. It takes about 10 minutes to get a result.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This is a 180 for you, isn't it? Did your account get high-jacked? I thought I recalled a post from you indicating you were sleeping in a different room due to a healthcare worker in the house, or something?
    It is a total 180. I was paranoid and worried back in March/early April with my wife working in emergency and information was vague, NY/Italy was getting hammered, etc.. Now I’m confident that if she follows the PPE protocols and works safely, there is close to zero chance of contracting it. I also realize that as a healthy and active adult, it’s probably not going to have an impact on me at all if I did. I’ll still do my part to prevent any spread, but it just seems crazy if healthy people are still actively scared/worried about the virus.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Call me crazy. I'm going to do a full 360 and sit in @Buster 's camp on this topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    It is a total 180. I was paranoid and worried back in March/early April with my wife working in emergency and information was vague, NY/Italy was getting hammered, etc.. Now I’m confident that if she follows the PPE protocols and works safely, there is close to zero chance of contracting it. I also realize that as a healthy and active adult, it’s probably not going to have an impact on me at all if I did. I’ll still do my part to prevent any spread, but it just seems crazy if healthy people are still actively scared/worried about the virus.
    My SO also works in Emergency (directly with COVID patients, both screening and general care) and at least 2 of her coworkers (that she knows of - AHS is pretty strict on information sharing) have tested positive for COVID despite wearing the maximum PPE. Both were relatively young & healthy (late 20's early 30's) and one had kind of a "24 hours of hell" reaction to it, and the other had a much longer drawn out reaction to it. After hearing that, I was more nervous than I was in earlier months because even full PPE isn't perfect, especially with tired staff and 12hr shifts. Everyone's got to decide for themselves what their own comfort level is though.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    My SO also works in Emergency (directly with COVID patients, both screening and general care) and at least 2 of her coworkers (that she knows of - AHS is pretty strict on information sharing) have tested positive for COVID despite wearing the maximum PPE. Both were relatively young & healthy (late 20's early 30's) and one had kind of a "24 hours of hell" reaction to it, and the other had a much longer drawn out reaction to it. After hearing that, I was more nervous than I was in earlier months because even full PPE isn't perfect, especially with tired staff and 12hr shifts. Everyone's got to decide for themselves what their own comfort level is though.
    It's because it's airborne. Researchers were puzzled as to why a disproportionate amount of doctors and nurses were catching this despite full PPE adherence. I believe they found evidence suggesting aerosolized transmission via the vents. I have to find that article.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    BB, if you're comfortable with sharing, which hospital(s) does your wife work at? Most times Mitsu and my accounts of how our ER SOs are very similar, but lately it differs. Each hospital has it's own flavor, so to speak, it's interesting to hear how it differs from site to site.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

PLC and Foothills.

The incident with the two coworkers I believe your referring to was from one employee contracting it outside work and giving it to the other in the break room. They updated break room policies due to the exposure.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    It's because it's airborne. Researchers were puzzled as to why a disproportionate amount of doctors and nurses were catching this despite full PPE adherence. I believe they found evidence suggesting aerosolized transmission via the vents. I have to find that article.
    There were early sign of that with a restaurant example a few months back. But it's just a theory at that point and since it wasn't spreading as fast as 2003 SARS, it's been put on a back burner in terms of theories to confirm.

Given most of the spread in Japan/Korea/HK/Singapore are restaurants and night scene based, there may be some evidence to that.

For me I think I was @BavarianBeast current stage back in May/June. By July when there are more concrete evidence what this thing does to your body long term comes out from the Western countries, that's when I started to worry again. Been already told by many in HK/China that you are not the same person coming out of COVID, just glad that there are some evidence to support that from Western studies.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 08-06-2020 at 01:47 PM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    There were early sign of that with a restaurant example a few months back. But it's just a theory at that point and since it wasn't spreading as 2003 SARS, it's been put on a back burner in terms of theories to confirm.

Given most of the spread in Japan/Korea/HK/Singapore are restaurants and night scene based, there may be some evidence to that.

For me I think I was @BavarianBeast current stage back in May/June. By July when there are more concrete evidence what this thing does to your body long term comes out from the Western countries, that's when I started to worry again. Been already told by many in HK/China that you are not the same person coming out of COVID, just glad that there are some evidence to support that from Western studies.
    Nope. Different than the restaurants or the public transit. They collected samples from hospital locker rooms.

My Ride

Cruise ships were the first clue.

This one: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....26.20141085v1

http://www.digitaljournal.com/life/h...article/574049

An interesting article from the University of Oregon, titled "Identification of SARS-CoV-2 RNA in Healthcare Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Units", has been published. The study involved the swabbing of different locations across various air handlers in a hospital to examine for the novel coronavirus Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).
    Of concern was the fact that the virologists recovered the virus on around 25 percent of swabs. Of even greater concern was then recovery of the virus from both supply and return air. Hospital room ventilation systems - Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) - typically recirculate air and pass it through a filter. These filters are of variable design; some can filter out larger (macro-sized particles), others filter bacteria, but not all can capture viral particles (or viral particles in sufficient numbers).
    In the paper the authors state:
    "This study demonstrates SARS-CoV-2 RNA contamination throughout several AHUs path of flow, including return air, two filtration stages, and supply air, for multiple floors of the hospital and serves as the first evidence of the potential for SARS-CoV-2 RNA (and possibly virus), irrespective of viability, to enter into and travel throughout HVAC systems."

In essence, the virus entered MERV-15 filters and moved into supply air ducts.

The researchers sampled nine different air handling systems. They recovered viral RNA. The recovery of viral material is not necessarily an indicator of viral infectivity (the researchers did not determine this). However, it draws attention to a vulnerability in the healthcare setting. Modifications can be made to HVAC systems, such as the use of ultraviolet light which can inactivate viral particles. In addition, albeit an expensive solution, higher grade filters with smaller porosity can be fitted. The findings also point to the need to consider building air system design.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/life/h...#ixzz6UMzVoDHm
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 08-06-2020 at 01:54 PM.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    What would I need to change my mind and think that lockdowns don't work? Seems like a weird question. Either way it kind of shows the real issue with the masses in general. They form an opinion first, and then look for data to back it up. Personally I prefer to remain opinionless until I can decipher some data to see what is going on, and then adjust my opinion based on what the data says.

In this case, like I said it does seem likely that lockdowns work. But just making that assumption that correlation equals causation isn't the whole picture. Testing rates have drastically changed through all of this, the way we treat the virus has changed drastically through all of this, etc. There is other factors at play you need to consider before just forming a concrete hypothesis based on one single variable.
    Not really to change your mind, just more what would you do different if you were the chief scientist or some politician who could control something. What would you do? Would you open up and say good luck? Would you test differently? Limit differently?
    Cos...

You go from "this isn't going away" to "let's ignore it" with nothing in between. Your reasoning isn't sound.
    That's not my reasoning, you know it, and it's pretty disingenuous to even say something like this. That's straight Kert talking right there.

Just like I've maintained from the very start of this thing, we should be making attempts to protect the vulnerable while this virus makes its rounds, and as I said in my post here, people who want to take precautions when they're out and about by using masks and whatnot, should do that. But these people who are actually emotionally unstable over this are retarded. You have these Karens out in stores trying to make a big public debacle and emasculating anyone they see without a mask on. Like give it a rest. Masks are a miniscule net benefit at best, and as long as most people are wearing them that is all you can ask for. Then you have the crowd flipping their shit over schools potentially reopening, despite the fact that kids under 18 are virtually immune to this thing statistically speaking.

I'm all for taking reasonable precautions, but physically worrying in your brain is dumb. This virus is here and it's not going away until it makes it way around, and the people that get it or going to be at the mercy of their immune system. It is what it is. Maybe there are ways we can drop the RO so low that spread just stops, like this test strip idea? I'm all for that.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    ...physically worrying in your brain is dumb...
    Stupid adrenaline!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    Not really to change your mind, just more what would you do different if you were the chief scientist or some politician who could control something. What would you do? Would you open up and say good luck? Would you test differently? Limit differently?
    Based on what we knew at the times, If I was in control at the start of this thing, I would have immediately shut down flights from affected countries, set up some sort of triage/quarantine in those countries for Canadians that got stuck abroad. We could fly them back once we proved they were clear of virus. Border would have closed to unessential travel.

I would've never shut down the country internally. There was never any data suggesting such aggressive action was required. Plus with all the lag time Canada had for action, us limiting the potential for carriers to bring the virus into the country in the first place, would have drastically slowed its spread down, and there wouldn't be a worry of overwhelming the healthcare system. Recommend public mask use and social distancing, and only going out for essential things like work and groceries. But definitely not penalizing anyone for being out using recreational facilities. Restrictions could be eased as we gained access to more data and realized this was never anything to freak about in the first place.

It's interesting the lack of context people have around this covid issue we are dealing with. The response we have had to this is unprecedented when compared to a number of other past and current similar issues. If someone is supporting of a Nazi german rule in response to this particular "pandemic", that's fine and they're entitled to their opinion. But the onus is on them to quantify why this particular pandemic justifies such a drastic over reach by comparison.

Well - our family now has a Covid casualty. My wife's grandmother caught it in the Edmonton Good Samaritan Care Home and passed 5 days after testing positive. Kinda opens your eyes a bit. My kids are doing online learning for the 1st quarter of school as they're scared to go.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by kobe tai View Post
    Well - our family now has a Covid casualty. My wife's grandmother caught it in the Edmonton Good Samaritan Care Home and passed 5 days after testing positive. Kinda opens your eyes a bit. My kids are doing online learning for the 1st quarter of school as they're scared to go.
    That's awful! Very sorry to hear.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by kobe tai View Post
    I am sorry to hear that.

Page 398 of 985 FirstFirst ... 388 397 398 399 408 ... LastLast