Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 511 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 511 of 985 FirstFirst ... 501 510 511 512 521 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,220 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lower transmission rates do not indicate herd immunity, necessarily. It could mean changes in work policies, behaviours, infections exhausting certain cohorts, etc.

And yes, herd immunity is a thing - getting the population vaccinated is actually herd immunity.
    Ok.
    So it's now being recognized that those who have been infected show a resistance to reinfection? Or, is it immunity to reinfection? I certainly assumed this was true but there has been repeated hysterical media stories about folks getting it more than once.

I assumed there would be resistance but not like a chicken pox "immunity". But I also thought there was so much talk of constant mutation that even resistance was off the table.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I heard resistance was futile.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

They studies so far have shown that the antibodies reduce over time, unless the person is subjected to the virus on a regular basis (ie healthcare personal). They don't know how long the antibodies will last until the immunity is gone. They can only speculate until one of their regular test subjects who isn't regularly exposed, gets reinfected.

The few who have been reinfected, have had severely compromised immune systems before covid hit.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/vax-1.1524352

Earlier than expected?

"Christine Elliott said the country is set to get four million doses of the Pfizer vaccine between January and March as well as two million doses of Moderna's vaccine."
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/vax-1.1524352

Earlier than expected?

"Christine Elliott said the country is set to get four million doses of the Pfizer vaccine between January and March as well as two million doses of Moderna's vaccine."
    Nothing in there about approval, last thing I read was Tam saying March 2021 is the optimistic date for approval. And those doses are less than 10% of what's needed to vaccinate everyone, if/when we get the full orders it will supply enough for about 50% of the population. Does anyone actually believe Trudeau when he says "just a few more months" and "we'll see the other side of the pandemic by the spring"? Do you think restrictions will be cut when half the people still haven't been vaccinated, especially when the groups who will be last are the ones with the higher cases counts right now?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Nothing in there about approval, last thing I read was Tam saying March 2021 is the optimistic date for approval. And those doses are less than 10% of what's needed to vaccinate everyone, if/when we get the full orders it will supply enough for about 50% of the population. Does anyone actually believe Trudeau when he says "just a few more months" and "we'll see the other side of the pandemic by the spring"? Do you think restrictions will be cut when half the people still haven't been vaccinated, especially when the groups who will be last are the ones with the higher cases counts right now?
    Well, I don't want to speak for that Justin might do, but I think once 50% of the population is vaccinated, that's the right time to totally remove all restrictions. 50% immunity will mean much more than 50% reduction on health care load. Something about exponential growth etc. you'd have to ask the stonky guys how that all works, but I think the math is there.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

We don't even need 50% of population vaccinated to see big benefits. Even just vaccinated health care workers + age homes will have a massive impact. There's literally thousands and thousands of hospital staff in isolation right now because of possible close contacts. If we can at least alleviate that then it helps out medical system massively.

I can't imagine that Canada approval would be much later than US FDA approval, which i think i heard is expected in December.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yeah, good call, the benefits will be large at much less than 50%. Just responding to the poster above who seemed to imply that 50% vaccination would not be meaningful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    I can't imagine that Canada approval would be much later than US FDA approval, which i think i heard is expected in December.
    Really? you can't? I can and I'm not particularly imaginative.

My Ride
    Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    We don't even need 50% of population vaccinated to see big benefits. Even just vaccinated health care workers + age homes will have a massive impact. There's literally thousands and thousands of hospital staff in isolation right now because of possible close contacts. If we can at least alleviate that then it helps out medical system massively.
    And the NE.

My Ride
    ute

I imagine the change in transmission rate as a function of vaccination rate would follow a normal curve with a peak around 50%
    Last edited by Buster; 11-18-2020 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    They studies so far have shown that the antibodies reduce over time, unless the person is subjected to the virus on a regular basis (ie healthcare personal). They don't know how long the antibodies will last until the immunity is gone. They can only speculate until one of their regular test subjects who isn't regularly exposed, gets reinfected.

The few who have been reinfected, have had severely compromised immune systems before covid hit.
    Antibodies don't stay at high levels really. If they did, then your blood would look like an antibody ooze.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Yeah, good call, the benefits will be large at much less than 50%. Just responding to the poster above who seemed to imply that 50% vaccination would not be meaningful.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? you can't? I can and I'm not particularly imaginative.
    depends on how "much later" is defined. Let me rephrase that with real timeframe. I would think Canada approval would be at most 3 months later than US FDA. I'd even bet up to $50 on that.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    depends on how "much later" is defined. Let me rephrase that with real timeframe. I would think Canada approval would be at most 3 months later than US FDA. I'd even bet up to $50 on that.
    For EUA?

No way. weeks. maybe.

Canada already has the pfizer data and have been looking at it at the same time. They are reviewing vaccine data before the applications are submitted, just like the Americans. The application will be a formality unlike all other drugs. Also, vaccines are "licensed" not "approved" for some reason.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

3 months would be "a long time later" in my opinion. A very long delay.

For EUA?

No way. weeks. maybe.

Canada already has the pfizer data and have been looking at it at the same time. They are reviewing vaccine data before the applications are submitted, just like the Americans. The application will be a formality unlike all other drugs. Also, vaccines are "licensed" not "approved" for some reason.
    I agree. It would be absolutely retarded for Canadian regulators to delay this for any reason especially if the US approved it. I like your wishful thinking and hope its that quick or quicker (maybe even before US??)

My Ride
    ute

Any approval will likely be linked to the status of a logistics plan for rollout. The politicians would look like the incompetent morons they are if HC approves the thing and nobody can get access because the bureaucrats are standing around with their dicks in their hands.

I bet we see the announcements at the same time - "it's approved and here is how we are going to get it to the Stage1 recipients."

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

With all the masks, lockdowns and shutdowns having done sweet fuck all in terms of preventing a far worse recurrence the second time around, rumour has it BC will ban inter provincial travel starting next week.

You cant make this shit up.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    With all the masks, lockdowns and shutdowns having done sweet fuck all in terms of preventing a far worse recurrence the second time around, rumour has it BC will ban inter provincial travel starting next week.

You cant make this shit up.
    What caused the dip between the first wave and the second?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What caused the dip between the first wave and the second?
    A ban on travel to BC?

Page 511 of 985 FirstFirst ... 501 510 511 512 521 ... LastLast