Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 433 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 433 of 985 FirstFirst ... 423 432 433 434 443 ... LastLast
Results 8,641 to 8,660 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

We can't at all compare ourselves with China.

For starters, we can't trust their numbers. With their control of media and the internet, I would not be surprised to hear it leaked that scores are dying. They are excellent at covering up the truth.

Besides that, we have an entirely different social structure here as Disoblige said. In China, you do what the government tells you. If you don't, you won't like the consequences. When China shuts down, they shut down.

In Canada: We ask you stay indoors. We urge you. Please. Prwtty please. People in North America are having covid parties for fucks sake. That's the extreme, but citizens in Canada and especially in the USA have varying degrees of concern which leads to varying degrees measures taken and therefore varying degrees of infection risk. A virus grows exponentially so it doesn't take a lot to keep it going.

My kid is back in school. Not nearly enough precautions are being taken. I fully expect it to rip through our schools in the winter.

Take a look at what's going on in Melbourne/Victoria for an extreme experiment. Eradication is just not feasible at this stage, maybe early on when it wasn't as widespread. People can also see that its not a particularity deadly virus, different story if it was ebola/mers etc. I've had a few acquaintances (all young/healthy) get covid, all of them asymptomatic, none of them have had any long term effects. I was alarmist in this thread back in January/February, but I think at this stage we should maintain a good health protocol, and protect the most vulnerable amongst us. Also, absolute BS on China having no cases...

I'm almost 100% back to my pre-covid lifestyle. I work downtown most days, go to the gym, shop local, go to restaurants, did a family vacation. Yea there's a lot of odd things happening and everything is not as smooth as it otherwise would be, but you make the best out of it. Most businesses I work with have adapted well and are making it work, albeit barely. Some that were under financial duress pre-covid, have not. I do feel bad for people whose livelihood has been impacted by this, but at least in my circle most have found a replacement position.

I think the real turmoil is coming. With cold/flu season and the election, I'm expecting nothing short of chaos down south.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-bc-1.5731432

BC Removes a bunch of symptoms off school checklists - I presume this means kids with runny noses and sore throats can go to school.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Stop calling it school, and start calling it daycare, and people will care less.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    So, at the beginning, there was no playbook, no one knew how to handle this the best, a few counties took different approaches with different levels of success....

Fast-forward 6 months since this became 'real' in North America, the epicenter of this outbreak is enjoying pool parties, packed nightclubs etc, with no new cases, no mask, and the China itself has been without cases for a month. Canada, and the rest of the world is stumbling around trying to find a way to contain this, 'the non-believers', the compliant, the fatigued (Xtrema, I think lots of people are feeling this), the desensitized...

I am sure I am oversimplifying, but why can't NA (for the areas that care), just copy paste this approach? Surely this going on for years on end is more damaging to humanity than a strict short-term lockdown and controls?

Or is it that NA can't manage a strict lockdown due to our 'liberties'?

I am just curious to hear what other people think on this...
    Simple. People don't listen and love alt and conspiracy theory where Asian culture is more obedient.

NA culture is more innovative and Asian culture is more productive.

When it comes to a virus when you need 80-90% of population believe in the same thing to fight it, we fail.

Take HK for example, have 2M+ more people than AB in the space barely bigger than Calgary. They are freaking out about 7 cases a day and we have 100-150 a day and say we shouldn't care and live life as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    We can't at all compare ourselves with China.

For starters, we can't trust their numbers. With their control of media and the internet, I would not be surprised to hear it leaked that scores are dying. They are excellent at covering up the truth.

Besides that, we have an entirely different social structure here as Disoblige said. In China, you do what the government tells you. If you don't, you won't like the consequences. When China shuts down, they shut down.

Chinese numbers are not reliable even when the outbreak started in Wuhan. HK, Singapore numbers are still reliable, followed by Korean/Japanese/Taiwanese.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-22-2020 at 08:48 AM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Thanks all of you for the comments... of course, there are some major cultural issues in play here (obedience... etc), and fair enough to have trust issues around numbers. I just want some short term pain and get this over with... I think Fabricland incident was a bit of a wake up call in that you have people who are well established professionals (which I generally associate with a *bit* more emotional intelligence), freaking out at cashiers just trying to do their job...

I went to two distanced, outdoor get togethers this weekend, with groups of people who take health/wellbeing pretty seriously and I generally consider as rule-abiding folks. Both instances, there was food sharing from the same plate/container... (which obviously I didn't partake in)... I mean, these are easy wins in my mind if we believe this is how transmission occurs.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 09-22-2020 at 09:01 AM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I went to two distanced, outdoor get togethers this weekend, with groups of people who take health/wellbeing pretty seriously and I generally consider as rule-abiding folks. Both instances, there was food sharing from the same plate/container... (which obviously I didn't partake in)... I mean, these are easy wins in my mind if we believe this is how transmission occurs.
    Well, there is going to be double standards everywhere you go. Some of it is due to people drawing the line differently than others, and some might not be educated on the matter.

How many folks out there at work are washing their reusable mask at appropriate levels? How many times have they contaminated their mask only to put it on again for the rest of the day?
    What about lunch? Follow all protocols in the morning and afternoon in the office, but then lunch time everyone has their masks off talking to one another, going to lunch together, etc. Same thing with downtown coffees.
    So where do you draw the line (rhetorical question)?

My Ride
    4x4

Name:  received_456854601898900.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  45.2 KB

All the BCites I know agreed this is perfect.

Thus it shall now be known as Kelowna virus

Kelowna is responsible for much worse things than a global pandemic costing hundreds of billions of dollars, hundreds of thousands of lives, and unmeasurable hardship.

For example:

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quebec and Ontario are spiking in cases, let’s hope future lockdowns, if there are any, are on a provincial case by case basis. Spikes in those eastern provincial cesspools should not dictate what happens in other smaller provinces. This is just another reason going forward why living in a large city is something I’ll pass on. Canada is just a massive country, why put yourself into a sardine can.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

There was never a federal lockdown, why would suggest there would be one?

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Could it be that Jutes has bad ideas brought forward by a faulty thought process and communicated aggressively to compensate for the first two issues?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    When Tam and the table of talking heads speak, they speak on a federal level, when in fact the spikes are largely contained to small, geographical, pocks in the country. I just hope that if something happens out east, which it eventually will, provinces elsewhere don't follow suit due to media and other hysteric pressures. Keep GTA and Quebec problems away from the prairies.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Could it be that Jutes has bad ideas brought forward by a faulty thought process and communicated aggressively to compensate for the first two issues?
    Ding ding ding!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    When Tam and the table of talking heads speak, they speak on a federal level, when in fact the spikes are largely contained to small, geographical, pocks in the country. I just hope that if something happens out east, which it eventually will, provinces elsewhere don't follow suit due to media and other hysteric pressures. Keep GTA and Quebec problems away from the prairies.
    Health is a provincial matter so lock down will also be under a provincial health order. That's why you have seen Ford on lock down and revert opening phases only on certain regions in Ontario that is doing a bad job containing it.

The only way GTA, Quebec problem become our problem is their population is spreading it here. Because you know, we never really taught Corona virus about geography, or borders.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-23-2020 at 09:52 AM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Kelowna is responsible for much worse things than a global pandemic costing hundreds of billions of dollars, hundreds of thousands of lives, and unmeasurable hardship.

For example:

Jesus Christ every time someone brings that up it makes me weep for humanity all over again.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-14-2020 at 12:36 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    Jesus Christ every time someone brings that up it makes me weep for humanity all over again.
    I made it 45 seconds in and tapped out.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Anyone get tested recently if they had some runny nose or congestion? I have a bit of the sniffles and minor sore throat so I'm legally required to self-isolate and I have a test scheduled for tomorrow. But I was curious on the turnaround time for a test result? If it's 7-10 days, that's crazy long so I'm hoping it's sooner, especially if you signed up via for text alert or MyHealth.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Anyone get tested recently if they had some runny nose or congestion? I have a bit of the sniffles and minor sore throat so I'm legally required to self-isolate and I have a test scheduled for tomorrow. But I was curious on the turnaround time for a test result? If it's 7-10 days, that's crazy long so I'm hoping it's sooner, especially if you signed up via for text alert or MyHealth.
    One of our kids had the shits on Monday. Tested Tuesday. No results for 5 days as we're told. So yea, he's at home. So he's missing a week of school.

The isolation directions for kids is all over the map. We have no idea if we're supposed to send him to school or not, it can be interpreted both ways in regards to needing to get the negative results first.

For adults, I think you legally have to isolate regardless of test results for 10 days, which is a bit crazy.

edit - here's the link:

https://www.alberta.ca/isolation.aspx

Symptoms, legally isolate for 10 days or symptoms end, whichever is longer. Go for a test.

Test positive - keep isolating till symptoms are gone. Surprised doesn't ask for follow up test.

Test negative has 2 paths.
    1. Had covid exposure, you have to isolate no matter what. Same deal, symptoms end, 10 days whichever is longer
    2. No exposure not legally required to isolate, but stay home until symptoms are gone so you don't spread it and give someone else this fucking hell.

The student one is confusing because there are 2 sets of symptoms.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/20d4...-2020-0903.pdf

First set is the isolate "serious" set.

Fever
    Cough (new cough or worsening chronic cough)
    Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing (new or worsening)
    Runny nose
    Sore throat

Then there's the 2nd broad set which doesn't require isolation, but should stay home anyways and vague in when to return.

Chills
    Painful swallowing
    Stuffy nose
    Headache
    Muscle or joint aches
    Feeling unwell, fatigue or severe exhaustion
    Gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or unexplained loss of appetite)
    Loss of sense of smell or taste
    Conjunctivitis, commonly known as pink eye

Our one kid is in the broad set, and yea, complete mixed messages from health professional, to school, to printed literature. So he's staying home. Don't want to be that guy in case he's positive haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 433 of 985 FirstFirst ... 423 432 433 434 443 ... LastLast