Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 716 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 716 of 744 FirstFirst ... 706 715 716 717 726 ... LastLast
Results 14,301 to 14,320 of 14868

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

  1. #14301
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    F150, Tiguan R, Triumph Tiger XRT
    Posts
    929
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    @Misterman , @jutes , to say you two are drastically unclear on so many aspects of this virus, the healthcare system, the long term implications of infection, and comparative epidemics would be an understatement. Its fine to be upset about bad things happening to a widespread number of people. But this isn't as simple as a trade off of one for the other. The fact remains there needs to be measures to curtail this virus for the now and for the future, its a hard balance and its not as simple as "if you're worried just don't go out and let the rest of us do our thing", because then all you've done is swung the pendulum the other extreme to YOUR side which isn't right either. Measured approaches are appropriate, and we have not been locked down by any stretch, despite some aspects of society being limited. Just wait out the vaccine numbers to hit 30-40% and see where it goes. I don't think any government wants to literally tank any economy voluntarily any longer than it has to be.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  2. #14302
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Elbonia
    My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus
    Posts
    6,531
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have zero faith in our government and their willingness to completely drop restrictions - including masks - once enough of the population is vaccinated.
    But why? What would it benefit the government to enforce a mask mandate on a vaccinated population? Do you think they all own stocks in PPE manufacturers?

  3. #14303
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,294
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Case count doesn't matter.
    Really? When the provincial opening plan depends on low numbers? How do you figure?

  4. #14304
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North North Dakota
    My Ride
    MuricaMuscle
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But why? What would it benefit the government to enforce a mask mandate on a vaccinated population? Do you think they all own stocks in PPE manufacturers?
    If not enough of the population is willing to get vaccinated and supply outnumbers demand, what then? Do we just say fuck it, drop all restrictions and mandates and continue life as normal, I highly doubt that will happen. Fat fucks like Ford will come out on tv telling people to get vaccinated or else nothing will reopen. Folks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really? When the provincial opening plan depends on low numbers? How do you figure?
    As weve seen just recently, the required numbers are prone to change and not necessarily set in stone. There are always profits to be made from restrictions and lockdowns, you dont know who has what hand in the cookie jar. My FIL small town liquor store has seen record sales since March 2020 and hes been in business for 50 years. All levels of government have shown unprecedented levels of stupid over the past year and a half.

  5. #14305
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,784
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Once enough people in the province are vaccinated, it doesn't really matter what the government says anymore. More people will be doing what they feel makes sense.

    Right now too many people who want a vaccine cannot get one. Until that is the case, I still see many following government guidelines (although that number is reducing on a weekly basis).

    Now unless the government is purposely limiting vaccines coming in for some tin-foil reasoning...

  6. #14306
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Elbonia
    My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus
    Posts
    6,531
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If not enough of the population is willing to get vaccinated and supply outnumbers demand, what then? Do we just say fuck it, drop all restrictions and mandates and continue life as normal, I highly doubt that will happen. Fat fucks like Ford will come out on tv telling people to get vaccinated or else nothing will reopen. Folks!
    I note that you didn't answer my question, so come back with those goalposts before you get too far. You don't think that governments will drop mask mandates "once enough of the population is vaccinated", indicating that you believe that even when the population is vaccinated to an acceptable level, the mask mandates will remain. Why? Of what benefit to the government is a mask mandate? Why would they want to keep it in place when the health emergency is ended?

  7. #14307
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    its not as simple as "if you're worried just don't go out and let the rest of us do our thing", because then all you've done is swung the pendulum the other extreme to YOUR side which isn't right either.
    Yes it is. Literally, it is that simple. You do not have a right to impose on me based on your fears, I do not have a responsibility to look after you.

    I get that you'd like to impose your demands on us, but I don't have to follow them.

  8. #14308
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Victoria Park
    My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom
    Posts
    3,784
    Rep Power
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it is. Literally, it is that simple. You do not have a right to impose on me based on your fears, I do not have a responsibility to look after you.

    I get that you'd like to impose your demands on us, but I don't have to follow them.
    Don't you need to be at Gracelife early in the morning tmr? Why you still up?

  9. #14309
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    2,610
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't you need to be at Gracelife early in the morning tmr? Why you still up?
    bahahahah,

    "You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

  10. #14310
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2010 S4
    Posts
    163
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    , I do not have a responsibility to look after you.
    .
    Actually as a member of this society you do, whether you like it or not.

  11. #14311
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North North Dakota
    My Ride
    MuricaMuscle
    Posts
    216
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I note that you didn't answer my question, so come back with those goalposts before you get too far. You don't think that governments will drop mask mandates "once enough of the population is vaccinated", indicating that you believe that even when the population is vaccinated to an acceptable level, the mask mandates will remain. Why? Of what benefit to the government is a mask mandate? Why would they want to keep it in place when the health emergency is ended?
    There is no benefit, they don't need to profit from anything. Their definition of health emergency will change and all kinds of BS excuses will be backed by "science" and "experts". I can see the mummy Tam wanting a national mask mandate well into 2022 fOr yOuR sAfEty.

    Quote Originally Posted by dubhead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually as a member of this society you do, whether you like it or not.
    Actually no, that's not how it works. If it's not my responsibility to call you out on smoking and being fat, it's not my responsibility to ensure you are following any other heath guidelines. You control whether or not you get covid at this point through your actions and choices.

  12. #14312
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2010 S4
    Posts
    163
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually no, that's not how it works. If it's not my responsibility to call you out on smoking and being fat, it's not my responsibility to ensure you are following any other heath guidelines. You control whether or not you get covid at this point through your actions and choices.
    It is how it works though you reap the reward of this society you live in you have the responsibility to take on minor inconveniences to help that society.

    Your argument sucks too. It's your responsibility to follow health guidelines like not smoking indoors because it impacts other peoples health. The same as following some basic health guidelines to help slow this pandemic is your responsibility so the people around you don't die.
    Last edited by dubhead; 04-11-2021 at 09:58 AM.

  13. #14313
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubhead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually as a member of this society you do, whether you like it or not.
    No, I really do not. If you are dying in the street, I can quite literally walk past and do nothing and there is zero consequence.

    I understand a lot of Canadians are in favour of communist China style authoritarianism, but I'll pass.

    Our education system has really failed us, many people seem to want to repeat the mistakes of the past.

  14. #14314
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,166
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our education system has really failed us, many people seem to want to repeat the mistakes of the past.
    Thank god we’re getting a new curriculum to fix all this nonsense. Amirite?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  15. #14315
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2010 S4
    Posts
    163
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I really do not. If you are dying in the street, I can quite literally walk past and do nothing and there is zero consequence.

    I understand a lot of Canadians are in favour of communist China style authoritarianism, but I'll pass.

    Our education system has really failed us, many people seem to want to repeat the mistakes of the past.
    You can but you are a fucking horrible human being if you do and will face consequences from your peers for being a piece of shit. You don't live in a bubble as much as you wish you did.

    Taking basic responsibility and working together /= authoritarianism or Communism. This is Canada your rights as outlined in the Charter are not absolute and come with responsibilities.

    Well our education system seems to have left you behind anyways... Though can't blame the education system too much since sharing and empathy are a concept 2 year olds should be able to grasp before even getting there
    Last edited by dubhead; 04-11-2021 at 10:42 AM.

  16. #14316
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Natural gas, and natural gas accessories
    Posts
    7,558
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    *Sees zechs lying in street bleeding to death, and begging for me to call an ambulance...*

    "Meh, not my responsibility"

    *Steps over him and continues with my day*

  17. #14317
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    F150, Tiguan R, Triumph Tiger XRT
    Posts
    929
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it is. Literally, it is that simple. You do not have a right to impose on me based on your fears, I do not have a responsibility to look after you.

    I get that you'd like to impose your demands on us, but I don't have to follow them.
    Why is it a fear? Its fact, it has nothing to do with fear, it has to do with any reasonable educated person would say "no, I don't want to contact COVID because its bad for me now and in the future". The basis for argument on your side is to downplay the severity and effect of COVID, which is just an incorrect assertion, both due to observations and data collected to this point, coupled with the ongoing discoveries. Seems like a strange thing to take a gamble on, and I understand its your own heart, lungs and brain, but your actions are counter productive to getting past all of this cleanly.

    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33205450/

    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2771581

    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2771111

    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2020100821133

    https://hub.jhu.edu/2021/03/22/long-covid-long-haulers/

    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...701-5/fulltext
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  18. #14318
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    985
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Kinda funny watching some people basically describe them as psychopaths.



    As for people saying this will never end ... Israel, UK, and US have all seen their cases drop off significantly after they got a good chunk of their population vaccinated. I'm not talking this '70%' herd immunity that people parrot and don't understand what it means. I mean once they get to 25-30% then it starts having a clear impact on new cases. Canada will see the same now that we are vaccinating people in the younger age brackets. We've seen the death rate drop off with the elderly getting shots and now we'll start to see the impact in cases over the next ~month.

    Alberta's R0 value is 1.17 currently (1.14-1.20 is the est range) so as soon as ~20+% of the general public is vaccinated that drops to under 1 and we start to see cases decline slowly. As more get vaccinated it drops faster, it's not hard to understand. The ~40% immunity that our government is shooting for to reopen things is (my guess) basically that turning point because we prioritized many of the early doses to people that are avoiding the general public for safety.. Most at risk elderly people aren't hitting up 17th ave every weekend which is why it has helped our death rate but not our case rate until now.

    ~15% of AB has received a shot so far and so another ~25%+ of people across age ranged in 2b/2c and that'll be enough to turn things downward. (My thoughts, no source). Our 7 day average is 0.65% of our population per day puts us just over a month to get 40% of our population with at least one shot, less as things increase in pace.
    Nolan

  19. #14319
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubhead View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can but ma feefees
    You see, I do have the ability to empathize with your feelings on the subject. I also have the ability to not give a shit about them. I do not have a responsibility to care about your feelings, and trust me, I really do not.

    Being an adult who is responsible for and accepts their actions is an amazing thing. You should try it sometime.

    As for the new education system, don't worry Rage, they are going to focus on the long dead "culture" of the natives still, so rest assured little to no meaningful value will be obtained for a large majority of the revised "education".

    Canada (and the USA) being colonized s not some complicated socio-economic nightmare like WW1 and WW2 were. There is not much to be learned from what happened when it comes to colonizing, beyond recognizing it happened, and not going to a foreign land and murdering its people for said land. Something that was propogated by governments, because governments don't create or enforce morality or something.

  20. #14320
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    *Sees zechs lying in street bleeding to death, and begging for me to call an ambulance...*

    "Meh, not my responsibility"

    *Steps over him and continues with my day*
    This sort of thing happens a lot more often then you think. Usually liberals are like this, all talk until a dishevelled person who is a bit out of touch with reality ends up banging on their door for some help. Seen that quite a bit, how people who project how nice they are and willing to help turn away at the slightest disturbance.

    Turbomedic, I have taken snips of the Canada gov covid data every couple of months. End of March this year was laughable. Any reasonable person would be infinitely more concerned about their morning car drive to work than covid. Or of cancer. Or heart attacks. The numbers below age 50 are so miniscule as to count as nothing.

    So yes, it is fear on your part. There is a higher statistical likelihood of dying about 10-20 other ways on a given day versus covid. So I do not have a fear of it in the slightest. If I was over 50, I'd think otherwise, and as the famous beyond saying goes "govern myself accordingly"

Page 716 of 744 FirstFirst ... 706 715 716 717 726 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canadian Novel

    By krazykhoja in forum Campus Chat
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM
  2. Good novel suggestions

    By codo in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Latest Threads: 11-15-2005, 09:36 PM
  4. hotwiring--research for a novel

    By writer in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 06-12-2004, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •