Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 224 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 224 of 985 FirstFirst ... 214 223 224 225 234 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,480 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well even by our current numbers - Alberta's sitting at that 2% projection WHO said in January to expect. Canada is at 2.25%

So where's this magical 0.38% going to come from? 1/5th fewer deaths than currently experiencing?
    Again... We can't calculate the denominator so these percentages have no meaning.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Again... We can't calculate the denominator so these percentages have no meaning.
    No but we have an idea what were currently achieving based on admissions/confirmations and deaths of the overall - Alberta's running 2%, nationally 2.25%... So a projection with a "worst case" death rate of less than 1/5th that number...

Just trying to avoid panic? But what happens when we blow that number out of the water? They come back and say we weren't following social distancing rules and hygiene? It's a ridiculous low rate for a projection...

My Ride
    Edge

No but we have an idea what were currently achieving based on admissions/confirmations and deaths of the overall - Alberta's running 2%, nationally 2.25%... So a projection with a "worst case" death rate of less than 1/5th that number...

Just trying to avoid panic? But what happens when we blow that number out of the water? They come back and say we weren't following social distancing rules and hygiene? It's a ridiculous low rate for a projection...
    It is very important to note the differences in where the numbers are coming from regarding cases. The WHO, and others, are basing mortality numbers on "confirmed" cases, which is completely wrong and makes the situation seem much worse than it is. (Purposeful fear-mongering?)

What the Alberta government has done, is consider that there are, and are going to be, far more people infected that don't need to get tested. This number is much more realistic, even if it is all "educated" guesswork. I read that the UK government is doing this as well.

COVID-19, although particularly nasty, especially for those with underlying conditions, may not even be as bad as the common flu in terms of mortality.
    Last edited by duaner; 04-08-2020 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Added last sentence

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    But like... more toxic water

At our lake the hatred between the townies and cottagers goes waaaaayyyyy back, doesn’t help though when Kevin start running people over with his boat though... or when the rich kids kill themselves driving drunk and the parents turn around and sue the poor wait staff that over served them (and would have been fired if they cut the off)
    What lake are you on? One of the big 3 or a little one?
    Last edited by arcticcat522; 04-08-2020 at 09:25 PM.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

If we remove the deaths from nursing homes and those who are 70+, then this looks like a massive over reaction as the mortality rate for those under 65 is under 1%. If we don’t want to overwhelm the hospitals, then set up provincial segregation facilities for treatment/care strictly for severe Rona cases. The longer this goes on the worse off everyone will be in the long run. 25% unemployment for any province to have is not acceptable under any circumstances, especially if it can be prevented.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    If we remove the deaths from nursing homes and those who are 70+, then this looks like a massive over reaction as the mortality rate for those under 65 is under 1%. If we don’t want to overwhelm the hospitals, then set up provincial segregation facilities for treatment/care strictly for severe Rona cases. The longer this goes on the worse off everyone will be in the long run. 25% unemployment for any province to have is not acceptable under any circumstances, especially if it can be prevented.
    Even considering nursing home deaths and those over 70, it actually is less than 1%, probably by quite a bit. The main issue is that, as per my previous post, many organizations, such as WHO, are not taking into consideration those who are infected but don't get tested because their symptoms are mild. The number of people who actually have the virus could easily be 5-10X more (or higher) than the confirmed numbers. That means the actual morality rate is significantly lower than what is often being reported. That puts down into flu territory, or lower.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat522 View Post
    What lake are you on? One of the big ones or a little one?
    Little one, had a friend working at the lake joe club when that all went down though. Luckily she didn’t have a shift that day though

My Ride
    *The First*

Another fatality at Mackenzie Towne bringing the body count to 13 as of April 8. Awful!

High River - hang on to your hats. They are about to be in a very serious situation.
    If you're into praying, please start to send some prayers to High River.
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 04-08-2020 at 09:46 PM.

My Ride
    ute

People are too concerned about mortality rate. One, as I mentioned, right now it is an unknowable number, so not worth discussing until we can collect better data. Two, mortality rate is not as relevant as total deaths (or total deaths per capita). Three, total deaths go up dramatically with an increase in infection rate - we don't know what the denominator is, but we do know that deaths don't scale linearly with that denominator, they go vertical once you run out of healthcare system capacity.

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    People are too concerned about mortality rate. One, as I mentioned, right now it is an unknowable number, so not worth discussing until we can collect better data. Two, mortality rate is not as relevant as total deaths (or total deaths per capita). Three, total deaths go up dramatically with an increase in infection rate - we don't know what the denominator is, but we do know that deaths don't scale linearly with that denominator, they go vertical once you run out of healthcare system capacity.
    How is total deaths per capita even a useful number, never mind more relevant than mortality rate?

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Another fatality at Mackenzie Towne bringing the body count to 13 as of April 8. Awful!

High River - hang on to your hats. They are about to be in a very serious situation.
    If you're into praying, please start to send some prayers to High River.
    There's not much happening down here...

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    How is total deaths per capita even a useful number, never mind more relevant than mortality rate?
    Same reason we scale every cause of death as a per-capita number. You want to determine the impact a disease is having on the population. I didn't say mortality rate wasn't relevant, I said it is unknowable - and things that are unknowable, like things that are not falsifiable, are of limited usefulness. That will change in the next while as we ramp up capacity to do population-level testing. But arguing about mortality rates right now is a fruitless exercise.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    25% unemployment means serious societal problems. Money from Ottawa or Edmonton wont matter anymore as people are losing their minds (as many are) and domestic violence begins to skyrocket (as it already has).

Far far more serious than the result now.

My Ride
    *The First*

There's not much happening down here...
    Unfortunately, I strongly believe that's about to change.

I agree. Not even concerned about getting sick and I'm staying away from people but fuck me, this place will be a ghost town with everyone in poverty.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Detroit Alberta

Unfortunately, I strongly believe that's about to change.
    You can’t make a prediction like that and leave us hanging....

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    You can’t make a prediction like that and leave us hanging....
    I'm sorry I can't really say more. "Prediction" might not be the right word. We will be hearing a lot more about High River in the next 24-72 hours.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Detroit Alberta
    I lose sleep over this thought. Have been for a couple years lol.

I'm sorry I can't really say more. "Prediction" might not be the right word. We will be hearing a lot more about High River in the next 24-72 hours.
    You’re like a middle aged lady posting vague shit on Facebook haha

My Ride
    4x4

Seriously doubt it. Beside the cab company closing up for covid (say no symptoms but isolating) there's a handfull of people around here with something (including me). Daughter had to visit emergency - ear infection, they were in and out in 25 minutes... So our hospital is near empty.

That said we've got a whole bunch of nursing homes.

Page 224 of 985 FirstFirst ... 214 223 224 225 234 ... LastLast