Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 191 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 191 of 985 FirstFirst ... 181 190 191 192 201 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,820 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

Quote Originally Posted by Antonito View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not paying back debt would annihilate the US's credit rating, which would do way more damage than adding more debt for emergency payments to US citizens
    Certainly not a well thought out idea by any means lol. Just internally angry after realizing how this really all could have been prevented.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

We still have a lot of idiots in smaller town regions up North who are going into larger city centers for groceries or whatever. Then they come back and risk the health and safety of these smaller communities. Just a matter of time...

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Absolutely. I just think that the way Bob is getting his point across isn't being absorbed how he intends.

Edit - and I tend to forget the unrealistic and unreasonable people on THAT side of the argument too I suppose....
    Bob is a great guy. I've known him for years, briefly employed his wife at one point, and been through his shop a ton. I love chatting with him and like that we are casual friends. I also love seeing his paintings pop up on my FB feed - one of the few people I haven't unfollowed.

My post was not targeting him, though he does fall into the description of someone suggesting we should let the virus run amok. I don't think he means harm; clearly he wants to see a resolution as quickly as possible. I do think that argument - let the strong survive and the weak die - is downplaying the severity and societal devastation such a decision would lead to and so I can't/won't support it.

Look, I get the frustration here. We're all feeling the pinch. My income is down $64k/yr so far and there's undoubtedly more to come. It sucks and it hurts.

But.

BUT.

I believe that the economic consequences of action are far less than the consequences of inaction. I find it odd that nobody in here is discussing what the new normal looks like, or how our society and businesses will evolve to meet the needs of it. Maybe it's because a complacent attitude destroyed two of my earlier businesses, but I see tremendous opportunity here. The sooner we're done bitching about how shitty this all is, the sooner we can collectively get to work to help ourselves, our friends, and our peers survive and thrive this thing.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    I find it odd that nobody in here is discussing what the new normal looks like, or how our society and businesses will evolve to meet the needs of it.
    96 pages in this thread and I followed closely since the beginning. There is for sure some talks about our new normal, particularly about how WFH is going to be a lot more common when this is all set and done.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Welp, looks like we might (finally) break the 100 death mark in Canada due to C19. At 89 deaths as of this AM. Took almost 9 weeks and for 6-7 of those weeks, almost nothing was being done.

One the other hand, last week some 1,000,000 people have applied for EI. Canada has a (fulltime) working population of some 15,000,000 people.

Thats 7% jump in unemployment IN ONE WEEK.

Its not even begun to unravel here economically.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-31-2020 at 10:36 AM.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...a6d_story.html

CDC considering masks for general population.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Bob is a great guy. I've known him for years, briefly employed his wife at one point, and been through his shop a ton. I love chatting with him and like that we are casual friends. I also love seeing his paintings pop up on my FB feed - one of the few people I haven't unfollowed.

My post was not targeting him, though he does fall into the description of someone suggesting we should let the virus run amok. I don't think he means harm; clearly he wants to see a resolution as quickly as possible. I do think that argument - let the strong survive and the weak die - is downplaying the severity and societal devastation such a decision would lead to and so I can't/won't support it.

Look, I get the frustration here. We're all feeling the pinch. My income is down $64k/yr so far and there's undoubtedly more to come. It sucks and it hurts.

But.

BUT.

I believe that the economic consequences of action are far less than the consequences of inaction. I find it odd that nobody in here is discussing what the new normal looks like, or how our society and businesses will evolve to meet the needs of it. Maybe it's because a complacent attitude destroyed two of my earlier businesses, but I see tremendous opportunity here. The sooner we're done bitching about how shitty this all is, the sooner we can collectively get to work to help ourselves, our friends, and our peers survive and thrive this thing.
    Regarding Bob, I knew you got it. I was more responding in general terms for the rest.

Regarding the rest of your post, I agree 100. There WILL be new normals, I hope they're good ones. I think a lot of the world might actually like this break from the proverbial "rat race" and see how nice industrial siestas (for lack of a better term) can be.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Welp, looks like we might (finally) break the 100 death mark in Canada due to C19. At 89 deaths as of this AM. Took almost 9 weeks and for 6-7 of those weeks, almost nothing was being done.

One the other hand, last week some 1,000,000 people have applied for EI. Canada has a (fulltime) working population of some 15,000,000 people.

Thats 7% jump in unemployment IN ONE WEEK.

Its not even begun to unravel here economically.
    US will have 30+% unemployment when everything is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...a6d_story.html

CDC considering masks for general population.
    Put mask on and get back to work. Now the question is, this will now render all face recognition pointless. Also do you make people take mask off before entering gas stations? Will robbery go up because of this?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    For the record, I have always thought Bob to be a great guy and have fully supported his business. I would have purchased exclusively from him if he carried Nokians for winter - which is no fault of his.
    We simply have a vast difference in opinion on the severity of this issue and the appropriateness of the societal response.
    Honestly man, the only problem I have with our discussion is you stating I care more about "my business" than I do peoples lives because it isn't that at all. You make me sound like I am personally a greedy fuck who only cares about my personal financial situation than anything. I don't think that way at all.

What I care about is discussing how this is affecting the entire worlds economy because magnified by billions it is an absolute truth that the way we are currently doing things will only get us so far and if it does not succeed in containing the virus, the ensuing economic results will be catastrophic, even far beyond anything we are experiencing right now. You are putting all your eggs in one basket and refuse to discuss anything because you are putting all your faith in the powers that be and it shocks me how many people seem to think they are infallible. Then the second anyone points these things out, you, and many others, are jumping down throats and shaming anyone who thinks this is a very important discussion to have and there could be, and I believe certainly is, a genuine middle ground that could try to address things that don't 100% destroy the worlds economic systems while reining in the virus, or at least dealing with the ramifications of it. Obviously I can't sit here and pretend to know what that answer specifically is, but if you outright refuse to have a civil conversation on it there is no hope at all.

I personally have picked up aspects from you I had not considered and my views on those things have shifted somewhat, but if you had attacked me aggressively earlier I would not have evened considered reading your posts through. The people who are able to have civil conversations with people they disagree with are the ones that have success in changing opinions. People who refuse to hear anything other than what they want to hear end up not being heard themselves and that isn't good. I am just asking that you be a little more respectful of the person rather than the opinion, because nobody learns anything from only talking to people they agree with, myself included.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Honestly man, the only problem I have with our discussion is you stating I care more about "my business" than I do peoples lives because it isn't that at all. You make me sound like I am personally a greedy fuck who only cares about my personal financial situation than anything. I don't think that way at all.
    You have every right to think this way, Capitalism in itself is based on greed and self-advancement. If I had a business that was forced to shut down because fat people are dying I would be pissed as well.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Anyone who doesn't self-isolate should be charged with bio-terrorism.
    I am not sure where you live or work in the city but the parking lots around my office are full, all businesses i can physical see from my building are open. Let alone all my suppliers and others in the supply chain. It's not worth threatening fines for people who don't self isolate, if the government isn't going to do a full lock down then they have accepted that 1/2 million people in Calgary alone are still working and going out as business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    You have every right to think this way, Capitalism in itself is based on greed and self-advancement. If I had a business that was forced to shut down because fat people are dying I would be pissed as well.
    I do have every right to think that way I agree, but I am being truthful when I say I don't personally put my business above others no matter what. I am not going to criticize other business owners that think differently, but personally I am willing to take a hit for others if it is the right thing to do at the time, right or wrong. I do it regularly and would be far more successful financially if I was able to remove all my personal feelings from all business decisions, but I find it leaves me unhappy when I try to 100% separate myself from those decisions. I always find I feel better when I can make those decisions on a case by case basis and not be robotic about it. Like I said, I try not to judge others so much as judge myself and act accordingly. I try to be big picture but don't always succeed.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Shaking hands will definitely become faux pas.

WFH will now be embraced as a viable option to save costs on office space and the office space might become a dying concept. Who knows?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Fat and old are going die no matter what until a vaccine is found. This process is to space out the deaths so it would not overwhelm the medical system so more non-covid related patients has a chance too.

Because if we lose all the medical professionals in a huge spike, consequences could be worse since you can't replace them in a year or 2.

Bob, is your businesses still under essential business as auto repair? Or just orders have die off due to lockdown?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-31-2020 at 12:01 PM.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Another thing to consider is that surgeries and chemotherapies are already been cancelled and we haven't even peaked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Bob, is your businesses still under essential business as auto repair? Or just orders have die off due to lockdown?
    Automotive is considered essential service so we are allowed to operate. We are absolutely working still but are doing so in full lockdown mode by doing things such as having the doors locked and access only by appointment with no overlap of customers in the building at any one time, customers are driving their own vehicles in and out rather than us doing it, giving clients the option of staying in their vehicle and if they do not want to they need to social distance and remain in one area, trying to encourage e-transfer for payments and e-mailing invoices as much as possible but if they can't or don't want to we have disposable plastic bags over the handheld payment machine that is pre-sanitized and changed out after use, disposable gloves for customers as well as staff, hand sanitizer for everyone, sanitizing all surfaces customers have been around after every client, etc etc. Working like this isn't maximizing what we are capable of doing by any stretch of the imagination and obviously people are not flooding in right now but at least we can still try and stay afloat and keep clients and staff comfortable and safe while doing so.

They already banned clapping, might as well ban handshakes too.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride

Automotive is considered essential service so we are allowed to operate. We are absolutely working still but are doing so in full lockdown mode by doing things such as having the doors locked and access only by appointment with no overlap of customers in the building at any one time, customers are driving their own vehicles in and out rather than us doing it, giving clients the option of staying in their vehicle and if they do not want to they need to social distance and remain in one area, trying to encourage e-transfer for payments and e-mailing invoices as much as possible but if they can't or don't want to we have disposable plastic bags over the handheld payment machine that is pre-sanitized and changed out after use, disposable gloves for customers as well as staff, hand sanitizer for everyone, sanitizing all surfaces customers have been around after every client, etc etc. Working like this isn't maximizing what we are capable of doing by any stretch of the imagination and obviously people are not flooding in right now but at least we can still try and stay afloat and keep clients and staff comfortable and safe while doing so.
    Good on ya Bob.
    Hopefully your recurring customer base will help keep you afloat, in addition to the small amount of government assistance.

If I was a tire shop, the hope would be at the very least, have these measures lightened by October so it won't affect the winter peak season! Obviously earlier the better (spring/summer swapover), but just being realist

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Good on ya Bob.
    Hopefully your recurring customer base will help keep you afloat, in addition to the small amount of government assistance.

If I was a tire shop, the hope would be at the very least, have these measures lightened by October so it won't affect the winter peak season! Obviously earlier the better (spring/summer swapover), but just being realist
    I don't disagree on your prediction. It is a scary thought but based in reality. All we can do is give it our best as long as we can and hope chance is on our side...

My Ride
    Exploded.

Stay safe out there, fam

Page 191 of 985 FirstFirst ... 181 190 191 192 201 ... LastLast