Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 202 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 202 of 985 FirstFirst ... 192 201 202 203 212 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Hey BeautifulBikerBeardBob.

The tobacco industry spends a shitton of money lobbying in most countries compared to C19. The life expectancy of smokers is way longer than C19.
    Ironically, smoking upregulates (increase the amount of) the ACE2 receptors that the virus attaches to. Arguable vaping does that too, but that is unclear at the moment.

This is just in the US last updated in 2017.
    https://www.statista.com/chart/9613/...ng-in-the-usa/

According to WHO, in some low-income countries more than 10 percent of household income is spent on tobacco products, leaving less money for food, education and healthcare. Additionally, healthcare costs and lost productivity due to illness/death amount to global annual costs of $1.4 trillion.
    Name:  tobacc.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  54.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Smoking death is by choice. COVID death is akin to death by mandatory 2nd hand smoke. Also smoking death comes slowly and won't overwhelm health systems. I think we are lucky we didn't turn into NY or Milan so far. Doctors are wrecked in those cities.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/2/21...ostic-covid-19

Antibody test is approved. Early rumor is only 4-5% infected shows antibody. Hence reports of positive test soon after recovery. This will prove it once and for all.

If antibody is short lived, the herd immunity theory is out.

This will become seasonal/forever.
    You might have missed in my post when I pointed out that of the over 8 million smoking deaths, 1.2 million+ is directly related to second hand smoke in non-smokers, so aka... NOT by their own choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    The China Flu does two things that seems to trigger people/governments that smoking does not. It kills very quickly and it can overwhelm hospitals. I don't know why we can't set-up a massive China flu ICU zone in each major city where the people are taken out of our hospitals for mass-infected care. Or do the opposite, identify certain hospitals as Rona' care centers only.

We STILL have daily flights coming in from China and other parts of the world, limiting them to paper Canadians and telling them to 'pretty please with sugar on top' self-quarantine. This is all just a lazy bullshit approach and come mid-summer we will still be in this mess.
    Again, I realize what yu are saying is correct, but my question is mining deeper asking "why" is one an acceptable loss at the expense of economy but nothing is done at such a drastic measure as the other? I get the hospitals can get much more overwhelmed with the virus compared to smoking illnesses, but if you look simply at the value of life in people who die per million, it still equates to realistically a similar volume overall. Is the reason money? Is it control? It is undeniable that we as citizens of the world accept one but not the other. I guess I want to know why that is. Could it rationally be that that it is money and the fact our thoughts and ideals can be easily manipulated by the powers that be into thinking one way or the other or is it simpler than that in that one appears to be more in our own personal control than the other?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Hey BeautifulBikerBeardBob.

The tobacco industry spends a shitton of money lobbying in most countries compared to C19. The life expectancy of smokers is way longer than C19.
    Ironically, smoking upregulates (increase the amount of) the ACE2 receptors that the virus attaches to. Arguable vaping does that too, but that is unclear at the moment.

This is just in the US last updated in 2017.
    https://www.statista.com/chart/9613/...ng-in-the-usa/

Name:  tobacc.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  54.9 KB
    Again, all this being true, what is the rational that one is acceptable and palatable to us as a species over the other when the net deaths overall are similar? I am not arguing for or against here... Just another one of my inflammatory observations that creeps into my brain and thought it could be an interesting discussion.

My Ride

Both deaths are unacceptable, but smoking is largely by choice - recognizing that some people have addictive personalities that makes it difficult for them to control.

Both deaths are unacceptable, but smoking is largely by choice - recognizing that some people have addictive personalities that makes it difficult for them to control.
    For 1.2million people a year (as per WHO numbers) it isn't a choice... If that is acceptable, what is the magic number that makes it unacceptable to the masses? Like I said, it is just interesting that we can justify one but not the other when the massive numbers of deaths in this specific example we are looking at are not a whole lot different.
    Last edited by tirebob; 04-03-2020 at 10:25 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    For 1.2million people a year (as per WHO numbers) it isn't a choice... If that is acceptable, what is the magic number that makes it unacceptable to the masses? Like I said, it is just interesting that we can justify one but not the other when the massive numbers of deaths in this specific example we are looking at are not a whole lot different.
    Sorry I missed the second hand smoker part. I think it's easier to avoid second hand smoke than an invisible virus. That's why I stopped going to dingy bars on International Ave.

To me, both unacceptable. Much like pregnant moms who continue to smoke and drink.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Again, I realize what yu are saying is correct, but my question is mining deeper asking "why" is one an acceptable loss at the expense of economy but nothing is done at such a drastic measure as the other? I get the hospitals can get much more overwhelmed with the virus compared to smoking illnesses, but if you look simply at the value of life in people who die per million, it still equates to realistically a similar volume overall. Is the reason money? Is it control? It is undeniable that we as citizens of the world accept one but not the other. I guess I want to know why that is. Could it rationally be that that it is money and the fact our thoughts and ideals can be easily manipulated by the powers that be into thinking one way or the other or is it simpler than that in that one appears to be more in our own personal control than the other?
    It comes down to this, we are emotional beings and don't think rationally. That's it. Suppressing 100% of the population because we need to protect the venerable 0.X% is an emotional decision, seeing millions of dead bodies has a huge effect on the physic. Aliens are looking down on us right now and laughing. We cannot move on as a species because we can't accept sacrifice and that death is a part of life, you take the cards life gives you. Our 80-100 year life span is so fucking insignificant when you look at the time line of the species never-mind the earth or universe.

My Ride
    4x4

Trump asks medical supply firm 3M to stop selling N95 respirators to Canada
    https://trib.al/9uYIjI7

and so the tradewar begins
    Name:  273bfq.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  55.0 KB

My Ride

It comes down to this, we are emotional beings and don't think rationally. That's it. Suppressing 100% of the population because we need to protect the venerable 0.X% is an emotional decision, seeing millions of dead bodies has a huge effect on the physic. Aliens are looking down on us right now and laughing. We cannot move on as a species because we can't accept sacrifice and that death is a part of life, you take the cards life gives you. Our 80-100 year life span is so fucking insignificant when you look at the time line of the species never-mind the earth or universe.
    Bryz was way ahead of the Woke Generation.

My Ride
    Exploded.

The China Flu does two things that seems to trigger people/governments that smoking does not. It kills very quickly and it can overwhelm hospitals. I don't know why we can't set-up a massive China flu ICU zone in each major city where the people are taken out of our hospitals for mass-infected care. Or do the opposite, identify certain hospitals as Rona' care centers only.

We STILL have daily flights coming in from China and other parts of the world, limiting them to paper Canadians and telling them to 'pretty please with sugar on top' self-quarantine. This is all just a lazy bullshit approach and come mid-summer we will still be in this mess.
    Please don't call it the China Flu. A lot of discrimination is happening already for Asian-Americans and we don't need this coming to Canada.

See, I do think much along the lines you you in that we tend to react emotionally rather than by strict logic. That isn't saying what is happening right now isn't real, but our reaction to it is somewhat telling when comparing other death in numbers situations. I don't discount the profit aspect as well though. I would not be shocked to see the narrative change a little bit from the powers that be once a way to monetarily capitalize on this situation rears it's ugly head but I won't go as far to say I believe in it being a giant conspiracy. I do think though that being the opportunistic species we are, the wheels are definitely turning behind the scenes with the global elite as we speak.

Again I must reiterate in case somebody is just stumbling to the end of this conversation without seeing where it started... Total theoretical discussion here. Not declaring everything I am saying as fact.

My Ride

That would require a mass global coordination amongst all of the affected countries. Even Dr Evil couldn't pull it off.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Bryz was way ahead of the Woke Generation.
    Bryz is a legend. "Don't worry be happy."

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah
    Please don't call it the China Flu. A lot of discrimination is happening already for Asian-Americans and we don't need this coming to Canada.
    It came from China, thus it's called the Chinaflu or WuhanFlu, has nothing to do with race, religion or discrimination. We called diseases by origins up until the SJW and Snowflake Libtards got offended. Here is a pic of all the pandemic names https://2oqz471sa19h3vbwa53m33yj-wpe...graphic-22.jpg Should we start to rename them all because people are being offended? You can't stop people from discriminating, people have been doing it since the dawn of time and changing the WuhanFlu to the Covid19 won't stop anything.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Bryz is a legend. "Don't worry be happy."

It came from China, thus it's called the Chinaflu or WuhanFlu, has nothing to do with race, religion or discrimination. We called diseases by origins up until the SJW and Snowflake Libtards got offended. Here is a pic of all the pandemic names https://2oqz471sa19h3vbwa53m33yj-wpe...graphic-22.jpg Should we start to rename them all because people are being offended? You can't stop people from discriminating, people have been doing it since the dawn of time and changing the WuhanFlu to the Covid19 won't stop anything.
    OK Donald.

That would require a mass global coordination amongst all of the affected countries. Even Dr Evil couldn't pull it off.
    Or maybe they have and they are all in on it? Hmmmmmmmmm..... LOL

My Ride

I get what you mean, jutes, but there are growing amounts of xenophobia and hate crimes. We don't need to add to it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/us/co...ans/index.html

Look what calling it beerflu did. https://fortune.com/2020/04/03/coron...ts-production/

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Is anyone else asking the question:

What else is going on here besides an over-hyped pandemic?

My Ride
    370Z duhh

You underestimate just how dumb racist people can be...name it Covid19 and most racists wouldn't have a clue it originated in China.

My Ride

Or maybe they have and they are all in on it? Hmmmmmmmmm..... LOL
    I think you are in on it and are just proposing the opposite viewpoint to get the scent off you.

Ken Jeong Voice: Who gets to benefit from Coronavirus lockdowns? Essential BUS-I-NESS-ES. What's an (air quote) Essential Business (/air quote), tire stores. What isn't? Sporting Goods. Now all of a sudden, people can't rollerblade or bike to work because there ain't no parts for sale yo. What do they have to do? D-R-I-V-E. Which causes...tires to wear out faster. Who benefits? T-I-R-E B-O-B. CON-CLU-SION: Tirebob is part of the conspiracy.

Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 224
Size:  1.25 MB
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 04-03-2020 at 11:40 AM.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

I get what you mean, jutes, but there are growing amounts of xenophobia and hate crimes. We don't need to add to it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/us/co...ans/index.html

Look what calling it beerflu did. https://fortune.com/2020/04/03/coron...ts-production/
    Xenophobia and hate crimes existed way before this and calling something different on a random internet car forum isn't going to affect anything. This virus could be renamed to the EurotrashWhiteBoy-19 for all I care. Racist people will discriminate regardless of virus names, because something is called where it came from doesn't trigger me to go start beating on anyone that looks Asian. Token: "I have many Asian friends"

Corona beer is just nasty, nasty crap. I'm not shedding a tear if that piss goes under for good.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

You can't stop people from discriminating, people have been doing it since the dawn of time and changing the WuhanFlu to the Covid19 won't stop anything.
    Your fundamental flaw in this thought is you don't think closet racists are using this as an excuse to be racist publicly, which is obviously happening.
    If you acknowledge there are idiots out there who are affiliating the virus with race, then why perpetuate the problem?

Page 202 of 985 FirstFirst ... 192 201 202 203 212 ... LastLast