Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 389 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 389 of 985 FirstFirst ... 379 388 389 390 399 ... LastLast
Results 7,761 to 7,780 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Axis powers

More likely due to the long weekend, even a bank would have more than 1 vehicle with the workers, normally they're closed on long weekends
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Melbourne in rough shape. Kids back to home-based learning, lockdown curfews because of uptick in infections

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53627038
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Axis powers

Alberta has equal or more cases than Victoria and we’re going back to normal, shows the difference in mind sets
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well A it’s one of the busiest long weekends all year and people have fucked off so maybe not a relevant sample.

B did people really think increasing restrictions on people patronizing local businesses wouldn’t have a negative effect?

For “non essential” browsing etc people are going to be less likely to do it if they are physically uncomfortable while doing so ( regardless of how you feel about the nessecity of mask laws, none of this should be surprising or controversial )
    Pretty much, a lot less browsing and non-essential shopping. I suspect a lot of businesses that barely survived quarantine won’t have a chance to survive long term between occupancy limits and masking requirements.
    Last edited by finboy; 08-02-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Well A it’s one of the busiest long weekends all year and people have fucked off so maybe not a relevant sample.

B did people really think increasing restrictions on people patronizing local businesses wouldn’t have a negative effect?

For “non essential” browsing etc people are going to be less likely to do it if they are physically uncomfortable while doing so ( regardless of how you feel about the nessecity of mask laws, none of this should be surprising or controversial )
    Absolutely right... I straight up do not like anything pressing against my mouth and nose. It really makes me incredibly uncomfortable and causes me to fixate on the sensation and get stressed out and anxious. Can I deal with it when I need to? Sure I can, but I fucking hate it to the degree I will only walk into a store with a mask on if I absolutely have no other option. I sure as heck am not wandering around aimlessly bored in a store or going to a restaurant like that. Pretty certain I am not alone. It is what it is.
    Last edited by tirebob; 08-02-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Saw this today and found it interesting ... goes against the lets infect everyone / herd mentality crowd. Then again logic isn't really their strong suite to begin with.

News Article:
    https://www.cardiovascularbusiness.c...amage-recovery

Original study:
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2768916
    Wow! Talk about lucky that all these randomly selected patients just happened to also have pre COVID scans on their files for comparison.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Starbucks this morning was 100% masks. I expected more Karen’s but I don’t frequent Starbucks often so what do I know.
    Really no reason for a Karen to show herself and mask shame, if mask compliance is 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Metric shit tone of cars/campers this afternoon going west on hwy 1 around revelstoke/golden/Canmore. Does everyone in Calgary just flood the Okanagan every long weekend?
    Yes. Yes they do. The valley was pretty well Covid free until Canada Day weekend partners brought in and kicked off a new wave.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by atgilchrist View Post
    Yes. Yes they do. The valley was pretty well Covid free until Canada Day weekend partners brought in and kicked off a new wave.
    Judging by the amount of traffic, there will be another spike in cases in 7-10 days.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    Absolutely right... I straight up do not like anything pressing against my mouth and nose. It really makes me incredibly uncomfortable and causes me to fixate on the sensation and get stressed out and anxious. Can I deal with it when I need to? Sure I can, but I fucking hate it to the degree I will only walk into a store with a mask on if I absolutely have no other option. I sure as heck am not wandering around aimlessly bored in a store or going to a restaurant like that. Pretty certain I am not alone. It is what it is.
    Interesting to hear your take on this as a business owner Bob, r/calgary and somewhat beyond is full of “a mask isn’t a big deal” opinions, which seem to discount any change in consumer or societal decision making. I have no doubt that masks make life safer for both the person wearing or near a person wearing that mask. I also have had no problems socially distancing in places like grocery stores, and have generally witnessed relatively good behaviour from other patrons. I still find the view that wearing masks will not cause any harm OUTSIDE of physical health a bit optimistic.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I believe these are the exceptions allowed:

ADHD
    Agoraphobia
    Anxiety
    Asthma
    Chronic Sinus Issues
    Claustrophobia
    Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS)
    Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
    Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
    Deaf and Hard of Hearing
    Depression /other mental health
    Deviated Septum
    Down Syndrome
    Dysautonomia
    Emphysema
    Epilepsy
    Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG)
    Hyperhydrosis
    Hypoxia
    Lung Cancer
    Lung Disease and other assorted issues
    Multiple Sclerosis
    Panic Attack / Panic Disorders
    Pleurisy
    Post-Partum Anxiety (PPA)
    Post-Partum Depression (PPD)
    Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
    Pulmonary Embolism
    Raynaud's Syndrome
    Reflex Neurovascular Disorder/disease
    Sensory Processing Disorder
    Vertigo

Quote Originally Posted by atgilchrist View Post
    Yeah, those people were from Vancouver. Not Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Interesting to hear your take on this as a business owner Bob, r/calgary and somewhat beyond is full of “a mask isn’t a big deal” opinions, which seem to discount any change in consumer or societal decision making. I have no doubt that masks make life safer for both the person wearing or near a person wearing that mask. I also have had no problems socially distancing in places like grocery stores, and have generally witnessed relatively good behaviour from other patrons. I still find the view that wearing masks will not cause any harm OUTSIDE of physical health a bit optimistic.
    It absolutely will have an effect. I too have been social distancing this entire time and nothing has changed there but unless I need to be in very close quarters with the public, it is no mask for me which means I can't shop in Calgary and I am staying home mostly. If ya'll notice notice me getting back to messages and e-mails quicker than normal, that would be why! lol! Working from home does offer some benefits...

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I believe these are the exceptions allowed:

ADHD
    Agoraphobia
    Anxiety
    [COLOR=#1D2129][FONT=Helvetica]Asthma.............
    The issue then becomes the people who feel the need to come within 6 feet of me to tell me I am a horrible human being that wants to wipe out the human race. When you answer with "only the old and weak" it tends to elevate the situation... Seriously though, I accept that our society is more comfortable with the mask situation so I am not trying to rebel against it. I am just avoiding putting myself anywhere near where I have to participate.
    Last edited by tirebob; 08-02-2020 at 10:21 AM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by finboy View Post
    Interesting to hear your take on this as a business owner Bob, r/calgary and somewhat beyond is full of “a mask isn’t a big deal” opinions, which seem to discount any change in consumer or societal decision making. I still find the view that wearing masks will not cause any harm OUTSIDE of physical health a bit optimistic.
    r/calgary and to a lesser extent Beyond are echo chambers of a very small minority of the general public.

It absolutely will have an effect. I too have been social distancing this entire time and nothing has changed there but unless I need to be in very close quarters with the public, it is no mask for me which means I can't shop in Calgary and I am staying home mostly. If ya'll notice notice me getting back to messages and e-mails quicker than normal, that would be why! lol! Working from home does offer some benefits...

The issue then becomes the people who feel the need to come within 6 feet of me to tell me I am a horrible human being that wants to wipe out the human race. When you answer with "only the old and weak" it tends to elevate the situation... Seriously though, I accept that our society is more comfortable with the mask situation so I am not trying to rebel against it. I am just avoiding putting myself anywhere near where I have to participate.

I think this position will be far more common than the politicians either realize or care to admit / consider. Day 1,especially on a long weekend can't be used as irrefutable evidence of a trend one way or the other but I guess we'll see a few weeks from now what society as a whole does with the mask rules. At this moment I'm pretty close to Bob's position and won't be doing anything other than essential public interaction. If nothing else it's an interesting social experiment.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Wow! Talk about lucky that all these randomly selected patients just happened to also have pre COVID scans on their files for comparison......................
    If you actually read the article, you would know they used age, sex and comorbity matched controls for the comparison.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    r/calgary and to a lesser extent Beyond are echo chambers of a very small minority of the general public.
    Reddit is a cesspool and is pretty much a perfect example of how this has brought out the absolute worst in people. Either people are just generally shitty and using this as an excuse to be assholes in a manner that's now socially acceptable or a huge amount of the users on there are massive proponents of having the government regulate more and more of their lives.
    Last edited by FraserB; 08-02-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm avoiding a lot of in-person shopping. And have been doing so since March. Watering a mask may reduce general risk a certain amount, but reducing exposure reduces your risk much more. I have vulnerable people in my family, and I am taking as many simple steps as I can to reduce risk.

I would like to support local small businesses, and I have been a little, but for trips I can avoid, I am.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I'm hoping some people the work in / own retail style businesses can chime in here. My observation yesterday is 100% anecdotal but when I was out it seemed like a lot of the non-essential businesses (so excluding grocery stores, gas stations, etc.) were much quieter than normal. One strip mall I was at that contains a bank, a pharmacy, a dry cleaner, a hair salon, a massage place and a dentist had exactly one car in the entire parking lot at 3:00 PM. On a normal Saturday that parking lot is full. Is it possible that there is a segment of the population that have just said "fuck it, I'm not wearing a mask, I'll just stay home"? I guess it'll take a few weeks to see any sales trends.
    Personally I think everyone is just gone for the long weekend so it's hard to get a good sense for something like that. This is a really common time to leave Calgary when the weather is pretty much at peak niceness. Check again after Tuesday.

I was at Costco yesterday (Saturday) and it was definitely quieter than normal, but they have been asking (and providing) people to wear masks for a month or two now, so I don't think it is deterring too many people but that's just one store. That being said, I did see a lot of people wearing the masks on their mouths only, or around their chins still - they are uncomfortable after more than a couple minutes so I think a lot of people are doing the bare minimum to still make it look like they're following the rules.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-02-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Seems a lot of businesses are leaving the enforcement to the city. I think it makes sense when, anecdotally, some people are getting violent when staff enforce the new rules (specific industry, but safety heavily affected).

End of the day, a store could be down 50% in sales and yet need to pay someone full-time to enforce the new rules at the door. I sympathize with the businesses that are dealing with this, regardless of whether they are enforcing or not. I'm not a fan of the businesses who don't require their staff to mask up, but I shop for convenience so boycotting isn't something that comes to mind for me.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Reddit is a cesspool and is pretty much a perfect example of how this has brought out the absolute worst in people. Either people are just generally shitty and using this as an excuse to be assholes in a manner that's now socially acceptable or a huge amount of the users on there are massive proponents of having the government regulate more and more of their lives.
    whynotboth.jpg

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Today I found out that my wife’s grandfather in a very high level of care nursing home in Calgary, is allowed to leave the home to go out for dinner. Same nursing home my MiL has to dress up like out of a scene from Alien to visit.

Her aunt apparently took him to earls last night. Fuck, that shit makes me mad.

What? 85% of our pandemic deaths are directly linked to nursing homes and these “locked down” people are allowed going to earls to go get sick and bring it home to the rest of the facility? This is the population we are trying to save by shutting our society down?

What the actual fuck.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 389 of 985 FirstFirst ... 379 388 389 390 399 ... LastLast