Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 470 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 470 of 985 FirstFirst ... 460 469 470 471 480 ... LastLast
Results 9,381 to 9,400 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, again if restaurant follows the health guidelines, it's less risky. But if they don't it's a problem. TO had to shut down a few restaurants that is still offering buffets and caused outbreaks.

For example, Popeyes has a green/red card system and basically staff go to town to clean it after each patron and 50% of seating blocked off. So this give people a bit more confidence.
    Sounds like a great opportunity to throw the book at the actual offenders and not punish the entire industry.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    Can confirm.

Source: I own a gym.

We are definitely learning a lot though.
    Pre-Covid, I had dreams of opening a gym one day and raking in that recurring revenue money, honey. Even now, I think there is a ton of opportunity but things are going to get ugly for a while. Uglier, even.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    Is there any data showing gyms are spreading the virus in such a manner that they need to be shut down? I know a few boutique fitness studios caused quite a bit of spread, but have any full sized gyms been shut down around town? I don't know what i'd do if GYMVMT was to get shut again, especially with the cold coming making outdoor workouts less feasible.
    There was the one spin studio where a single class infected many of the patrons and since instructors from other gyms were attending it caused 4 or 5 studios to temporarily shut down. That was also a pre-launch class where they invited industry people only. Imagine had it been fully open and they did half a dozen classes that day.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Pre-Covid, I had dreams of opening a gym one day and raking in that recurring revenue money, honey. Even now, I think there is a ton of opportunity but things are going to get ugly for a while. Uglier, even.
    Opportunity yes.

But the problem is (especially with the advent of social media "influencers") is every tom dick and jane thinks owning a gym would be sweet! So sugar daddy gives them some cash to open a dream gym.
    However most of them have absolutely no business sense and do not try to differentiate from your gym whatsoever and open far too close to your location, therefore a chunk of your clientele want to try something new and move gyms, reducing your revenue. Some come back, some leave, its a constant game of cat and mouse trying to keep clients.

Then, due to low numbers in two gyms, both have a very short economic life.

And then covid happened - Kick in the fucking teeth.
    Good news is, 3 gyms in our area have gone under... We managed to survive our 6 month shut down - its working well for now as we are quite busy, but another shut down won't be survivable.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I dont know about you guys but whenever Ive been in a restaurant lately theres been no one else dining - although Ive been to a lot of non chinese asian restaurants.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I dont know about you guys but whenever Ive been in a restaurant lately theres been no one else dining - although Ive been to a lot of non chinese asian restaurants.
    Even Asian restaurants are pretty empty. A lot has reduce seating by 50% and the max group of 6 removed a lot typical Chinese gatherings.

But my neighborhood Korean Fried Chicken joint, Starbucks, Pho joint and diner seems to hit 50% utilization at dinner time without issue. And a new dim sum joint seems to be 3-4 months away from opening so people are bullish that we will get over this.

And living vicariously thru my niece and nephew's Insta, looks like restaurants targeting 20 somethings are still doing fine.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-02-2020 at 10:58 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So, to confirm. You do not live your life as if we are locked down.

But you want everyone else to.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    There was the one spin studio where a single class infected many of the patrons and since instructors from other gyms were attending it caused 4 or 5 studios to temporarily shut down. That was also a pre-launch class where they invited industry people only. Imagine had it been fully open and they did half a dozen classes that day.
    Yes, spin studio = boutique fitness. Generally they are small, confined rooms with less open air which leads to higher chance of spread. Have any full size gyms had to shut down? Much easier to distance when you're not confined to a room full patrons huffing and puffing on stationary bikes.

My Ride
    Edge

I strongly suspect that with gyms, restaurants, churches, offices, etc., spread is largely determined by air volume, air flow, and air turnover. Each organization or place of business should probably be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Having said that, I would expect hospitals to be the safest, as they have high ventilation rates (high turnover), based on the limited "research" I have done. This is one reason they seem to be always cold. Yet, two outbreaks at local hospitals. Of course, being that higher numbers of sick people go to them, it is inevitable that outbreaks will occur.

It's actually quite interesting how this is already changing home and office design, and I suspect ventilation is included.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Can we go back to windows that open in commercial buildings again?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Can we go back to windows that open in commercial buildings again?
    Not with 35 dollar WTI haha

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’ve only been to Chinook lately but I’ve definetly noticed a bunch of non compliance and I would have expected the security guards to be the enforcers but even they dgaf about it.
    4000 a day and we still won't be locked down again
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    So, to confirm. You do not live your life as if we are locked down.

But you want everyone else to.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Opposite experience. Most places in Signal Hill seem to always be busy (Earls, Kinjo, etc). This past wednesday we went for wings and there was a 45 minute wait at the first place, and the second place was the busiest i've seen it in years.
    Last edited by NoSup4U; 11-02-2020 at 11:22 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Well what I guess I mean is we follow the rules when we are out. Masks, sanitizer, washing hands, distancing etc. Lots of people aren't. If the cases were up to 4k a day I definetly wont be going out however what I meant is JK doesnt seem its a big issue and I guess if the hospitals arent at capacity then we arent.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Everyone is focusing on the airborne aspect of spread, but ignoring the more preventable aspect - contact with contaminated surfaces and then not washing hands properly.

I mean yea, in a packed Ctrain, masks are a great tool in general (even without C19 fears) - but if you are touching everything and not properly washing your hands, might as well throw that mask away as you will get sick.

My Ride
    ute

gyms, bars and restaurants are almost certainly top contributors. Probably churches, but the devout deserve it.

Anyway.

Gyms bars and restos have a number of problems that fit the data that we have on epidemiology in general. They bring together people doing risky things (de-masking, breathing heavy, close quarters, etc). They also bring together otherwise separated social networks. They connect multiple networks together. Spread is inherently limited to contact, so if we all keep to our normal activities, in theory spread is only rapid amongst those contacts. Bars/restuarants, gyms etc all short circuit those connections.

The other problem that they have is that they are completely optional. It really sucks for the service industry, but it's the pandemic's fault, not the policy-maker's fault that pandemics slam these industries.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well what I guess I mean is we follow the rules when we are out. Masks, sanitizer, washing hands, distancing etc. Lots of people aren't. If the cases were up to 4k a day I definetly wont be going out however what I meant is JK doesnt seem its a big issue and I guess if the hospitals arent at capacity then we arent.
    If it get bad enough, my guess is we are in stage 2 and revert back to stage 1 on Dec 1st.

As a refresher:
    https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/61f5...gy-2020-06.pdf

EDIT: in some way, we have already reverted to some stage 1 numbers with max gathering down to 15 again.

We have 2 months of numbers that doesn't remotely recommend moving to Stage 3 opening when we are debating school opening in early Sep.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-02-2020 at 11:32 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Some statistics and perspective - these are not apples to apples, but should lend perspective in terms of actual risk.

Chances of (in USA) of being struck (not killed) by lighting in your lifetime is about 0.03%.

Chances of you (today) being hospitalized in Ab. due to C19 is 0.004%

Also, we have 165 C19 patients right now in hospitals across AB (icu and non icu) - not 16,000.
    Last edited by revelations; 11-02-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Some statistics and perspective - these are not apples to apples, but should lend perspective in terms of actual risk.

Chances of (in USA) of being struck (not killed) by lighting in your lifetime is about 0.03%.

Chances of you (today) being hospitalized in Ab. due to C19 is 0.004%

Also, we have 165 C19 patients right now in hospitals across AB (icu and non icu) - not 16,000.
    Your numbers are way off on lightning..

Chance of being struck in lifetime is 1/15,300 or 0.000065%

https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-odds

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    There are 140 in hospital as of friday (the last update of numbers). The 25 in ICU are included in that number.

Page 470 of 985 FirstFirst ... 460 469 470 471 480 ... LastLast