Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 341 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 341 of 985 FirstFirst ... 331 340 341 342 351 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,820 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tons of mouth breathers who must be insecure about having their faces covered for a few hours.
    "Muh freedom". You can see this shit attitude represented everywhere you go, including numerous posters in this thread.

I see it as a demonstration of the new normal: that being contrarian is now as much an identity for people as it is an excuse to be a dickhead.

Notice how it's always the same people that take the predictably contrarian view on these things. When you take the view that these people are actively looking to cause conflict, their actions make a lot more sense. Not just about COVID, or masks, but in life in general.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Masked Bandit View Post
    I thought everyone at the airport, passengers & staff were supposed to have masks?
    The law only mandated for the cabin for airplane. Has not extended to the airport.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...arks-1.5593115

Ottawa is the 1st one mandating mask for transit but then not enforcing it.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    "Muh freedom". You can see this shit attitude represented everywhere you go, including numerous posters in this thread.

I see it as a demonstration of the new normal: that being contrarian is now as much an identity for people as it is an excuse to be a dickhead.

Notice how it's always the same people that take the predictably contrarian view on these things. When you take the view that these people are actively looking to cause conflict, their actions make a lot more sense. Not just about COVID, or masks, but in life in general.
    I haven't been paying too much attention to the mask debate. But are people saying that they won't wear masks simply because they were told they should wear masks? That's really dumb.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I haven't been paying too much attention to the mask debate. But are people saying that they won't wear masks simply because they were told they should wear masks? That's really dumb.
    I think there are 3 camps:

- People who can't wear mask due to medical condition
    - People who hate masks because it's sweaty and you smell your own stinky breath
    - People who won't do whatever government say because government is not to be trusted.

Pick 1 or all 3.

For workers that need to wear masks, now there are mask breaks like smoke breaks where you can go outside and take your mask off to catch some fresh air. At least good employers allows them.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

I could be way off on this inquiry but from what I read, a mask is very useful for preventing transmission of covid when symptoms are present, and this makes sense. As per AHS: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...ansmission.pdf

"Transmission events and their dynamics are complex, but most evidence from other respiratory
    viruses suggest that transmission events predominantly occur with the peak of symptoms
    (highest fever, levels of coughing, sneezing and rhinorrhea)."

The linked document also states discrepancy in the number of cases that were presumed transferred via asyptomatic transmission.

"Concerns regarding asymptomatic transmission are driven by observations in various
    populations that suggested 18% – 50.5% of people with positive RT-PCR in various settings
    were asymptomatic at testing, and epidemiologic modelling suggesting that asymptomatic or
    presymptomatic cases may be responsible for potentially significant transmission, with a wide
    range of estimates from 0% to 44%. However, this is discrepant from epidemiologic
    descriptions from the initial epidemic in China and elsewhere which do not suggest that
    asymptomatic transmission is a major driver for the COVID19 epidemic."

Additionally we know that in Alberta we have only 736 cases out of 7781 cases that were from unknown exposure. Perhaps these were more likely asymptomatic transmission? Would unknown exposures be more likely related to catching coronavirus randomly in public?

What I'm wondering is, how effective is a mask at preventing the spread of coronavirus when no symptoms are present? Has anyone found data on this?

In other words, if you have no symptoms, how much risk are you taking not wearing a mask?

It seems like the greatest risk of not wearing a mask would be catching it from someone else, who has symptoms, but isn't wearing a mask and is out in public?
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    My read on on posters in this thread, is that some people choose not to wear masks when they are not required to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    If I exhale really hard sometimes I get a light fog but I try and tuck the mask under the bottom of my glasses like Flipstah.

It seemed like zero policing except for once on the plane. Tons of mouth breathers who must be insecure about having their faces covered for a few hours.
    Thanks (you too @flipstah )

I'll have to try it. Or, buy different masks.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    It seems like the greatest risk of not wearing a mask would be catching it from someone else, who has symptoms, but isn't wearing a mask and is out in public?
    No. The main benefit of wearing a mask means you are protecting others if you are infected without showing symptoms and shedding virus. Since there are signs that you will be spreading the virus for days before symptoms shows, wearing one after symptoms shows up is too late unless you live like a hermit anyway. There are also people that is spreading the virus and never had symptoms, ever.

There is a small degree of protection for you from getting infected but that isn't the point. The point is that people who don't wear masks will have droplets that spread to their hands and transfer to common touch objects, or directly sneeze on such object. Depends on the material, COVID can live on that surface for up to 24hrs which spreads it to more people.

Like many report say, we have never studied a virus this close. There are still a lot of TBD. People will continue to be infected and all we can do is limit the spread when another outbreak happens so the economy can go on. We can't afford another shut down.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-24-2020 at 01:30 PM.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    I have an active dislike for people that can't take simple steps that may wind up being a benefit to those around them.
    First we were told masks were ineffective and the next day Tam changes her mind. If you want to wear one to fill some sort of moral obligation then fill your boots. 95% of the people I've seen, here in Sask anyway, don't wear masks in public. If a store, or the provincial gov mandates it, then i'll put one on. This virus thing won't stop with a vaccine or masks, everyone in the world will eventually get it in one strain or another. I have a greater chance of killing someone with my car than killing someone by asymptomatic spread, which, according to the WHO is unknown yet. https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/healt...-bn/index.html

Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO's technical lead for coronavirus response and head of its emerging diseases and zoonoses unit, said during a media briefing in Geneva on Monday that "it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual."
    But then on Tuesday, during the live Q&A, she clarified "this is a major unknown."
    In other news, people have lost their minds and should seek some serious mental help with comments like this:

Attachment 92518

Tough guys around here for sure.

My Ride
    Exploded.

While I am respectful when I can, that said, I don't know if I can wear one for a flight to Europe or Asia. That's at least 6 hours of mask on.

I think if you're going to get mad at someone for not wearing an optional mask, you would also have to be mad about a thousand other things that aren't illegal but are harmful to others and people do anyway. Like nearly everything smokers do, to use an earlier person's example. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it seems selective. Literally every single person I have seen wearing a mask so far is doing so in a way that is making things worse either for themselves or others, so you've got to wonder if it's even a good thing. None of the testing or articles on mask use I have read address this, so I assume they are comparing textbook use to non-use which is unrealistic.

It's kind of like not putting your phone on airplane mode during a flight - if it were an actual problem with a significant risk, they would make it law or mandatory. Masks seem to be mandatory in all the higher risk areas like hospitals, medical diagnostic facilities, and care homes.

If you want to get mad at something, get mad at the people wearing gloves. They think it's protecting them or others, they get a false sense of security so they become careless, and they definitely aren't washing their hands. Doesn't really matter though, nothing would be done about it anyway.

I don't really care either way to be honest, you have people either choosing not to wear masks (when not mandatory) or people wearing masks in such a way that makes it worse for themselves and/or those around them in most cases. Doesn't really matter. Places where masks are mandatory like hospitals are also forcing people to use them properly and kicking them out if they aren't, which is reasonable.

So few people have followed the 'rules' since the beginning that the only thing that probably made an actual difference was the closing down of most businesses to limit contact/transmission. I was at Safeway the other day and this lady in a mask and gloves was pushing her cart saying "outta my way, outta my way" as she rolled along At least it's bringing some entertainment.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    You wear the mask first; put on glasses on top.

It's how I do mine all the time and it doesn't fog.
    The big reason why it doesn't fog is because of the outlet valve.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    The big reason why it doesn't fog is because of the outlet valve.
    Even then, when I had the regular one, if I did it like this it wouldn't fog up.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    While I am respectful when I can, that said, I don't know if I can wear one for a flight to Europe or Asia. That's at least 6 hours of mask on.
    I am going to ask one of those doctor that dishes out CPAP prescription like candies and get my health insurance to pay for a portable CPAP and full face mask for long flights.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...l-cpap-machine
    +
    https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...-mask-headgear

Last edited by Xtrema; 06-24-2020 at 02:14 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    I am going to ask one of those doctor that dishes out CPAP prescription like candies and get my health insurance to pay for a portable CPAP and full face mask for long flights.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...l-cpap-machine
    +
    https://www.cpap.com/productpage/res...-mask-headgear

Oh fuck that's genius

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I think if you're going to get mad at someone for not wearing an optional mask, you would also have to be mad about a thousand other things that aren't illegal but are harmful to others and people do anyway. Like nearly everything smokers do, to use an earlier person's example. I'm not saying I agree with it, but it seems selective. Literally every single person I have seen wearing a mask so far is doing so in a way that is making things worse either for themselves or others, so you've got to wonder if it's even a good thing. None of the testing or articles on mask use I have read address this, so I assume they are comparing textbook use to non-use which is unrealistic.

It's kind of like not putting your phone on airplane mode during a flight - if it were an actual problem with a significant risk, they would make it law or mandatory. Masks seem to be mandatory in all the higher risk areas like hospitals, medical diagnostic facilities, and care homes.

If you want to get mad at something, get mad at the people wearing gloves. They think it's protecting them or others, they get a false sense of security so they become careless, and they definitely aren't washing their hands. Doesn't really matter though, nothing would be done about it anyway.

I don't really care either way to be honest, you have people either choosing not to wear masks (when not mandatory) or people wearing masks in such a way that makes it worse for themselves and/or those around them in most cases. Doesn't really matter. Places where masks are mandatory like hospitals are also forcing people to use them properly and kicking them out if they aren't, which is reasonable.

So few people have followed the 'rules' since the beginning that the only thing that probably made an actual difference was the closing down of most businesses to limit contact/transmission. I was at Safeway the other day and this lady in a mask and gloves was pushing her cart saying "outta my way, outta my way" as she rolled along At least it's bringing some entertainment.
    You may have missed this a few pages back.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/7075024/m...avirus-deaths/

But the quote from Wired say it best:
    We often ask for extra-special proof when a practice doesn’t fit our preconceived ideas. That, unfortunately, is all too common; and scientists aren’t immune.
    The problem with mask wearing is that it won't be effective until you start to hit 50% of populace wearing it and ideal would be 70%. The idea is basically the same as herd immunity.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-24-2020 at 02:34 PM.

That didn't address any of my questions My ad blocker also thinks it's a clickbait article.

Like I said, it doesn't really matter anymore. We've already spent months seeing what it's like with virtually nobody following the 'rules', and new cases are extremely low. I believe most of Alberta's cases came from the Cargill plant as well.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The problem with mask wearing is that it won't be effective until you start to hit 50% of populace wearing it and ideal would be 70%. The idea is basically the same as herd immunity.

No. Masks are effective at a much lower %. If 100 people are in a building, and only 5 are wearing a mask but one of those five happens to have COVID then it significantly reduces the amount of exposure the other 99 people will face. You don't need 70% mask usage for it to make a difference. That one person can make a difference and they might not even know they have COVID.

Sure thats a made up hypothetical but even if 0.1% of our population are infected and 10% wear masks that's still a 10% reduction in the spread of the disease. That might not seem like much but if that means a difference between r0 of 2 and r0 of 1.8 (10% reduction) that makes a huge difference because of exponential spread. r0=2 after 10 hops means 1024 infected people. r0=1.8 after 10 hops means 357 infected people. Yes these are all theoretical numbers but it does make a difference.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 06-24-2020 at 02:43 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    No. Masks are effective at a much lower %. If 100 people are in a building, and only 5 are wearing a mask but one of those five happens to have COVID then it significantly reduces the amount of exposure the other 99 people will face. You don't need 70% mask usage for it to make a difference. That one person can make a difference and they might not even know they have COVID.

Sure thats a made up hypothetical but even if 0.1% of our population are infected and 10% wear masks that's still a 10% reduction in the spread of the disease. That might not seem like much but if that means a difference between r0 of 2 and r0 of 1.8 (10% reduction) that makes a huge difference because of exponential spread. r0=2 after 10 hops means 1024 infected people. r0=1.8 after 10 hops means 357 infected people. Yes these are all theoretical numbers but it does make a difference.
    The 50% number is based on the few (and consider flawed) researches into mask and flu. One basically said 20% is negligible and 50% is when it starts to have an effect.

Again, COVID is changing all the preconception and the only study so far is that masked mandatory countries has fewer death and infection as country that doesn't mandate masks. But there are so many variable that I'm sure we will then debate on causation and correlation between the 2 camps

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    That didn't address any of my questions My ad blocker also thinks it's a clickbait article.

Like I said, it doesn't really matter anymore. We've already spent months seeing what it's like with virtually nobody following the 'rules', and new cases are extremely low. I believe most of Alberta's cases came from the Cargill plant as well.
    We have not opened up the border yet. And most are still not travelling adhering to the recommendations.

I think we have starved it out here for now but US infection has not stop and trending upward.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...rus-in-the-u-s

Border opens up and 2nd wave for us will be nasty. We are not flatlining at around 1 to 0.9 cases per 100k per day. US is averaging 10 per 100k/day and up to 38 per 100k/day in Arizona.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-24-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Page 341 of 985 FirstFirst ... 331 340 341 342 351 ... LastLast