Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 121 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 121 of 985 FirstFirst ... 111 120 121 122 131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can spot the GenZ folks who are good at math when they see those death statistics and aren't worried. It's pretty dystopian, but ten years from now, the average GenZ will be a lot better off if we have mas casualties of the 70+ demographic this year.
    Good at math but selfish? lol.
    I would think when they are in their 70s and this happened, they would change their tone quite fast.
    Gotta protect our speedogs out there.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by 95EagleAWD View Post
    WestJet sent out a union memo today; they’re laying off 690 pilots and up to 250 at Encore.

Transat cut its fleet movements by 90%.

Porter has suspended all operations as of Friday, until June 1. Maintenance just got sent home from our Hangar.

Sunwing has suspended all operations, and has laid off their entire staff as of April 3.

AC has cut a ton of operations, but I can’t find specifics.

Harbour Air has more than 70% of their fleet out of the water, and has laid off all their seasonal pilots and First Officers.

The entire airline industry has just come to a crashing stop this week.
    Oh man, are we going back to regulated airlines again?

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by NoSup4U View Post
    Porter is surprising, were US routes a big part of their business? Transat/Sunwing...did they have anything that wasn't international?
    Porter flies a lot to New York, Chicago, Washington.

I honestly think that their loads just dumped to almost 0 and they’re just wasting money flying, so might as well shut down and not pay anyone. They own most of their fleet so they’re not paying leases on planes that aren’t moving.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

From: http://ntv.ca/justin-trudeau-unveils...stimulus-plan/

Support for workers

Canadians should not have to worry about paying their rent or mortgage or buying groceries because of the COVID-19 crisis. To support workers and their families, the Government of Canada is taking action to:

Provide additional assistance to families with children by temporarily boosting Canada Child Benefit payments. This measure would deliver almost $2 billion in extra support.
    Introduce an Emergency Care Benefit of up to $900 bi-weekly for up to 15 weeks to provide income support to workers who must stay home and do not have access to paid sick leave. This measure could provide up to $10 billion to Canadians, and includes:
    o Workers, including the self-employed, who are sick, quarantined, or who have been directed to self-isolate but do not qualify for Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefits.

o Workers, including the self-employed, who are taking care of a family member who is sick with COVID-19, such as an elderly parent or other dependents who are sick, but do not qualify for EI sickness benefits.

o EI-eligible and non EI-eligible working parents who must stay home without pay because of children who are sick or who need additional care because of school closures.

Introduce an Emergency Support Benefit delivered through the Canada Revenue Agency to provide up to $5 billion in support to workers who are not eligible for EI and who are facing unemployment.
    Provide additional assistance to individuals and families with low and modest incomes with a special top-up payment under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) credit. This measure would inject $5.5 billion in the economy.
    Waive, for a minimum of six months, the mandatory one-week waiting period for EI sickness benefits for workers in imposed quarantine or who have been directed to self-isolate, as announced on March 11.
    Waive the requirement for a medical certificate to access EI sickness benefits.
    Extend the tax filing deadline for individuals to June 1, and allow all taxpayers to defer, until after August 31, 2020, the payment of any income tax amounts that become owing on or after today and before September 2020. This relief would apply to tax balances due, as well as instalments, under Part I of the Income Tax Act. No interest or penalties will accumulate on these amounts during this period. This measure will result in households having more money available during this period.
    Provide eligible small businesses a 10 per cent wage subsidy for the next 90 days, up to a maximum of $1,375 per employee and $25,000 per employer. Employers benefiting from this measure would include corporations eligible for the small business deduction, as well as not-for-profit organisations and charities. This will help employers keep people on their payroll and help Canadians keep their jobs.
    Provide increased flexibility to lenders to defer mortgage payments on homeowner government-insured mortgage loans to borrowers who may be experiencing financial difficulties related to the outbreak. Insurers will permit lenders to allow payment deferral beginning immediately.
    In addition, to provide targeted support for vulnerable groups, the Government is investing to:

Reduce minimum withdrawals from Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIFs) by 25 per cent for 2020 in recognition of volatile market conditions and their impact on many seniors’ retirement savings.
    Implement a six-month, interest-free, moratorium on Canada Student Loan payments for all individuals who are in the process of repaying these loans.
    Provide $305 million for a new distinctions-based Indigenous Community Support Fund, to address immediate needs in First Nations, Inuit, and Métis Nation communities.
    Support women and children fleeing violence by providing up to $50 million to women’s shelters and sexual assault centres to help with their capacity to manage or prevent an outbreak in their facilities. This includes funding for facilities in Indigenous communities.
    Provide an additional $157.5 million to address the needs of Canadians experiencing homelessness through the Reaching Home program.
    Support for businesses

In the face of an uncertain economic situation and tightening credit conditions, the Government is taking action to help affected businesses. To support Canadian businesses and help them retain their workers during this difficult time, the Government is announcing measures to:

Allow all businesses to defer, until after August 31, 2020, the payment of any income tax amounts that become owing on or after today and before September 2020. This relief would apply to tax balances due, as well as instalments, under Part I of the Income Tax Act. No interest or penalties will accumulate on these amounts during this period. This measure will result in businesses having more money available during this period.
    Increase the credit available to small, medium, and large Canadian businesses. As announced on March 13, a new Business Credit Availability Program will provide more than $10 billion of additional support to businesses experiencing cash flow challenges through the Business Development Bank of Canada and Export Development Canada. The Government is ready to provide more capital through these financial Crown corporations.
    Further expand Export Development Canada’s ability to provide support to domestic businesses.
    Provide flexibility on the Canada Account limit, to allow the Government to provide additional support to Canadian businesses, when deemed to be in the national interest, to deal with exceptional circumstances.
    Augment credit available to farmers and the agri-food sector through Farm Credit Canada.
    Launch an Insured Mortgage Purchase Program to purchase up to $50 billion of insured mortgage pools through the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC). As announced on March 16, this will provide stable funding to banks and mortgage lenders and support continued lending to Canadian businesses and consumers. CMHC stands ready to further support liquidity and the stability of the financial markets through its mortgage funding programs as necessary. The Government will enable these measures by raising CMHC’s legislative limits to guarantee securities and insure mortgages by $150 billion each.
    The six largest financial institutions in Canada have made a commitment to work with personal and small business banking customers on a case-by-case basis to provide flexible solutions to help them manage through challenges, such as pay disruption due to COVID-19, childcare disruption due to school or daycare closures, or those suffering from COVID-19. As a first step, this support will include up to a six-month payment deferral for mortgages, and the opportunity for relief on other credit products. The Government of Canada will continue to monitor evolving economic conditions and seek greater relief measures should it be necessary.

In order to move forward with implementing these new measures needed to provide timely support for Canadians and to ensure the Government has every tool at its disposal to address potential challenges that may arise, the Government intends to introduce special legislation and seek the approval of Parliament.

The Government of Canada will continue to take further action as required to prioritize the health and safety of Canadians, stabilize the economy, and mitigate the economic impact of this pandemic.

My Ride
    Exploded.

When you defer, will the interest still calculate similar to payment vacations?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Allow all businesses to defer, until after August 31, 2020, the payment of any income tax amounts that become owing on or after today and before September 2020. This relief would apply to tax balances due, as well as instalments, under Part I of the Income Tax Act. No interest or penalties will accumulate on these amounts during this period. This measure will result in businesses having more money available during this period.
    Don't think so

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Don't think so
    Oh sorry I meant for the mortgage/credit products part. But thanks for clarifying the income tax one!

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I wonder what is stopping alberta from just announcing a lockdown of all people for 2 - 4 weeks, It seems to me that basically everyone is staying home, or are people still at the mall and in the core etc? what is left to close?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    I wonder what is stopping alberta from just announcing a lockdown of all people for 2 - 4 weeks, It seems to me that basically everyone is staying home, or are people still at the mall and in the core etc? what is left to close?
    Government still putting faith in humans to do the right thing and make their own judgements. If they do full mandatory lock down, it's because they don't trust anyone to be a good Samaritan.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    For mortgage payment holidays, the current word from the banks is that interest would continue to accrue.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

There are lots of businesses still up and operational in their physical office spaces.

I mean, we are pretty much there. Most everything that would be required to close already has, or have reduced hours.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by BerserkerCatSplat View Post
    For mortgage payment holidays, the current word from the banks is that interest would continue to accrue.
    So if interest continues to accrue, it would then either need to be repaid on top of regular payments when they resume or get added to the repayment amount? Seems like a bad idea either way and only a measure of last resort.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    So if interest continues to accrue, it would then either need to be repaid on top of regular payments when they resume or get added to the repayment amount? Seems like a bad idea either way and only a measure of last resort.
    Basically it just extends the length of time you're paying off the mortgage.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    You can spot the GenZ folks who are good at math when they see those death statistics and aren't worried. It's pretty dystopian, but ten years from now, the average GenZ will be a lot better off if we have mas casualties of the 70+ demographic this year.
    That's just crazy talk. We need Buzz Aldrin alive so that he has adequate time to teach the next generation how to pilot spaceships.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Personally I'd kind of like to keep earning money thanks.

Fresh milk run success! (It was getting bare for sure) Limits in place though at local convenience store.

Little surprised there is plenty of alcohol based mouthwash on the shelves. I plan to do a daily Q-tip cleanse, it won't prevent infection, but it will stimulate new mucous.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Manual labour jobs. Lots of jobsites saying for everyone to stay far apart, use the non-existent sanitizer, but under no circumstances can anything slow down. Until the government mandates to stay home, most projects are still contractually obligated to meet schedules

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Good at math but selfish? lol.
    I would think when they are in their 70s and this happened, they would change their tone quite fast.
    Gotta protect our speedogs out there.
    https://thoughtcatalog.com/maria-liu...to-sociopaths/

TLDR

Facebook and the likes has bred a generation of sociopaths.

I am sure having kids in 30s and beyond contribute some as well.

Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

Page 121 of 985 FirstFirst ... 111 120 121 122 131 ... LastLast