Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 347 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 347 of 985 FirstFirst ... 337 346 347 348 357 ... LastLast
Results 6,921 to 6,940 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't believe we still have no green lit human challenge trials. ffs.
    Same goes for SARS and MERS that have been around a lot longer...

It's like corona viruses are extremely difficult to vaccinate for... The timeline at best was a year - so maybe in 2021 we might have something... I don't know why people think this is CSI and we will magically have something in hours

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Same goes for SARS and MERS that have been around a lot longer...

It's like corona viruses are extremely difficult to vaccinate for... The timeline at best was a year - so maybe in 2021 we might have something... I don't know why people think this is CSI and we will magically have something in hours
    Internet had built a generation high on instant gratification.

What do you mean Google can't find me an answer in 2ms?

SARS and MERS has confirmed antibody/immunity of 1 year, up to 2. That's why while they are way more infectious than COVID19, and way higher kill rate, dies out rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    It may not be what you wrote, but it's what everyone else will read.
    Yes we are well aware of your ineptitude in having any form of cordial discourse and disseminating information.

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post

So yeah, you’re basically a reckless asshole.
    Incorrect....................again. This boils right back to caSilva's point. If mask wearing is so imperative in protection, then the government needs to mandate it. If the government will not mandate it, and wants to rely on the honor system, then the government are reckless assholes.(which we already knew.)

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Idk how he can completely ignore the fact that we don't know what they long term effects from Corona are as well.
    Not ignored at all. But those long term effects become irrelevant when we know that society cannot continue to function based on the long term effects of isolations. If you're going to make a conscious choice to burn down the country as you know it, for the sake of some potential unknown effects of Corona. Then that shows what side of the moral compass you sit.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    Not ignored at all. But those long term effects become irrelevant when we know that society cannot continue to function based on the long term effects of isolations. If you're going to make a conscious choice to burn down the country as you know it, for the sake of some potential unknown effects of Corona. Then that shows what side of the moral compass you sit.
    It's not irrelevant if you don't know what it is. And there is no appetite for lock down like we had. But nobody is doing enough or their part to stop the spread which means another lock down is inevitable when ICU is full which I think is the current playbook, keep testing and address pocket of outbreaks and make sure ICU isn't overwhlemed.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-28-2020 at 07:42 PM.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    It's not irrelevant if you don't know what it is. And there is no appetite for lock down like we had. But nobody is doing enough or their part to stop the spread which means another lock down is inevitable when ICU is full which I think is the current playbook, keep testing and address pocket of outbreaks and make sure ICU isn't overwhlemed.
    Yes. If we get zero increase in Alberta it probably means we b aren't opening up enough.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Yes. If we get zero increase in Alberta it probably means we b aren't opening up enough.
    I think the current opening strategy is good. I think if it weren't for the BLMers, the numbers will probably be even better but 40ish/day is managable.

I know it's cherry picking but the month or 2 lock down definitely helped the flattening of the curve.
    https://www.alberta.ca/assets/docume...-vs-sweden.pdf

Again, it's not up to the average citizen to sift through all the bungled information out there in regards to covid. That is the governments job. Now whether you feel the government is doing enough to control the spread is a topic worthy of conversation. Chastising people for not doing enough when they are following mandated protocols is not worthy of conversation.

Again, it's not up to the average citizen to sift through all the bungled information out there in regards to covid. That is the governments job. Now whether you feel the government is doing enough to control the spread is a topic worthy of conversation. Chastising people for not doing enough when they are following mandated protocols is not worthy of conversation.
    Should people show such deference to the government in all aspects of their lives, or only during pandemics?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Should people show such deference to the government in all aspects of their lives, or only during pandemics?
    It's pretty obvious. Misterman doesn't have the mental capacity to look out for his own safety and needs the government to hold his hand and tell him to wear a mask.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Bungled? As for early one, yes, WHO has bungled it. But as soon as asymptomatic spread is found and Asian stats comes in, it's confirmed mask will help limit the spread.

And

https://www.albertahealthservices.ca...public-faq.pdf
    Wear a mask in public when it is difficult to maintain physical distancing of 2 metres at all times.
    And

https://www.alberta.ca/masks.aspx
    Albertans are encouraged to wear non-medical masks in public when it's difficult to maintain physical distancing of 2 metres at all times.

Wearing a homemade or non-medical mask in public is another tool to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. It hasn’t been proven that masks protect the person wearing it, but it can help protect people from being exposed to your germs.
    And if you want the American version
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

It's been clear what AB gov wants us to do. The same reason they won't MANDATE mask is the same reason they have not out right BAN smoking. Some people will lose their shit which will be counter productive (and there's enough signs of that in US).

Look we are not going to get 100% compliance, not even Asian countries which is why outbreaks still happens in Japan and Korea. And we are DEFINITELY not going to get anywhere near 100% in the age of antivaxxers. All I know is I can live with myself that I have done my part.

All I know is if everyone wears a mask, we don't have deal with BS like 3 people per elevator and wait an hour to go to 45th floor.

And yes, it's perfect legal not to follow recommendations.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-28-2020 at 11:02 PM.

My Ride
    *The First*

Isn't there already a mask thread?
    https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/412...highlight=Mask

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I'm all for wearing a mask when its necessary (eg. close proximity to many others, like CATSA line up at YYC or in a pressure vessel with others) but I dont understand why this for eg. does not allow you to bypass lineups at stores?

If I am doing my due diligence to protect others, why do I have to stand in line with the rest of the non-maskers? Its been proven that masks essentially cause the transmission to go to 0.

Also, why is the government so focused on just one aspect of this issue when HANDWASHING is clearly not being done properly in North America on average.
    Last edited by revelations; 06-28-2020 at 11:18 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    I'm all for wearing a mask when its necessary (eg. close proximity to many others, like CATSA line up at YYC) but I dont understand why this for eg. does not allow you to bypass lineups at stores?

If I am doing my due diligence to protect others, why do I have to stand in line with the rest of the non-maskers? Its been proven that masks essentially cause the transmission to go to 0.

Also, why is the government so focused on just one aspect of this issue when HANDWASHING is clearly not being done properly in North America on average.
    Liabilities. Unless the government calls for mandatory mask, you can't discriminate.

My neighborhood Co-Op now have a sign say mask is strongly recommended in bold letter. A masked staff is giving you a mask at entrance for anyone that wants one. Still adoption rate is still around 60%

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    that thread is stale.

But if it makes you feel better, here's non-mask covid content:
    https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/covid-19-...alth-1.5003525

Calgary Centre is now downgraded from "Open" to "Watch" thanks to Verve outbreak. Once it reached "Enhanced", we may be going back to stage 1 and office opening may be disrupted.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-28-2020 at 11:39 PM.

My Ride

Liabilities. Unless the government calls for mandatory mask, you can't discriminate.

My neighborhood Co-Op now have a sign say mask is strongly recommended in bold letter. A masked staff is giving you a mask at entrance for anyone that wants one. Still adoption rate is still around 60%.
    Thats why I dont get the fucking governments - make it so that if you choose to wear a mask to protect others, you can bypass all the lineups and resume mostly normal behaviour in most common places (obviously, working out at a gym is not going to work) .

Why is this hard for them to comprehend? You will end up with more people wearing masks and lesser chance of transmission.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

We went to a couple of stores today. For one, the wife went in and my son and I waited in the truck. For the other, we all went but it was largely an outside environment with limited close-contact situations.

We still wore masks. We instructed our son to keep as far away from others as possible and not touch anything. We all used sanitizer before and after, and washed our hands when we got home. I would say I saw perhaps 30% at most wearing masks, and many were no longer following proper distancing protocol.

I don't know about other provinces, but both Alberta and Ontario had noticeably higher cases the last couple of days. The more people don't do their part, the more this will continue to circulate. (Obviously) One can hem and haw about whether masks make a huge difference (they do), or how effective other methods are, but why not do everything you can to help reduce the numbers? Firstly, you do help keep vulnerable people from dying in the short term. But even though current rates don't look all that bad, the more it circulates now means more people will have it when the colder months come and when school starts in September. I don't know about you guys, but I really don't want this to get a head start.

Please continue to be careful. We don't want a USA-like situation on our hands or another shutdown.

My Ride
    Lariat 2.7 & StreetTriple R

Isnt the statistical change between mask vs non-mask wearing about a 10% difference? Does it have its place? Absolutely. But its not like wearing a mask is the end-all-be-all of prevention. Washing hands, preventing close contacts, etc are much more bigger issues instead of this mask debate.

Ebola was the real killer. 50% mortality rate. It killed so fast that it didn't really have a chance to spread. Its probably better to say 90% and 25% as there were thought to be two strains of Ebola. Strange side effect of Ebola: Hiccups.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-29-2020 at 08:03 AM.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Yes we are well aware of your ineptitude in having any form of cordial discourse and disseminating information.
    Pot, meet kettle. Why don't you fuck off back to r/liamverysmart where you belong and leave the adulting to the adults?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by OTown View Post
    Isnt the statistical change between mask vs non-mask wearing about a 10% difference? Does it have its place? Absolutely. But its not like wearing a mask is the end-all-be-all of prevention. Washing hands, preventing close contacts, etc are much more bigger issues instead of this mask debate.
    It's an additional to the social distance. But our world is not designed with social distance in mind, especially indoors. In absence of guaranteed social distance, mask is a must.

Pence is now on board.

Again, look at the evidence and why hand washing and distancing is needed in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Thats why I dont get the fucking governments - make it so that if you choose to wear a mask to protect others, you can bypass all the lineups and resume mostly normal behaviour in most common places (obviously, working out at a gym is not going to work) .

Why is this hard for them to comprehend? You will end up with more people wearing masks and lesser chance of transmission.

We live in a democracy and everything is popularity contest. Politicians won't have the balls to order it if it's not popular even it's for common good.

Just look at the red tape, GTA is going thru right now,
    https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-m...clipId%3D89563
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-29-2020 at 08:52 AM.

My Ride

Folks, in the last 3-6 months or so, Alberta has experienced some 160 deaths as a result of this infection and the majority of these are in care homes with people with already serious health concerns.

Calling this a 'pandemic' is a complete farce and the joke is on us unfortunately.

For some context, AB has about 600 people commit suicide annually on average.

Note the average increase in suicide rates is 16 more dead with every 1% increase in unemployment. Its highly probable that we will see more people die of suicide (healthy, working adults) than of the actual disease here, as a result of this.

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...the%20spectrum.

Page 347 of 985 FirstFirst ... 337 346 347 348 357 ... LastLast