Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 51 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 51 of 985 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Bicycle

1/2 truths.

Anti-bacterial soap are useless but washing get rid of it on your hands.

Hand Sanitizer with 70% alocohol content will kill Corona but just be dead on your hands. You should still wash them ASAP. Any hand santizer with less than 70% alcohol are not proven to kill Corona.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-02-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If your hands are dirty you should lick them first and then apply hand sanitizer.
    This guy gets it.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    That death rate statistic is missing all kinds of necessary contextual information - starting with the fact that most of those deaths have been in areas of China where pollution is an issue, chainsmoking is the norm, hygiene practices are different, and access to healthcare may not be the same. It also doesn't make any mention of age, preexisting health conditions, etc. Mortality rates also differ with things like ethnic background - it's not an easy statistic to come up with, especially after such a short time.

I'm not bothered by any of it, I think it's funny that stores are being cleared out of flour due to the ridiculous amount of misinformation being spread (Not by you, I just mean in general). Everyone I know actually working in Health Care is frustrated by it.
    7 people died on the cruise ship and many more were hospitalized because it. All because there was one sick passenger.

I'm not saying people should freak out and empty the shelves at places ... I just think dismissing it because the flu kills more every year is just as bad faith of misinformation as what you are talking about. Having some food and water ready is just good practice whether its a virus, or another flood or whatever.

My Ride
    ute

Why do people think that this virus will cause the water to stop coming out of your taps.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Why do people think that this virus will cause the water to stop coming out of your taps.
    People still work at the city water treatment facilities. The same as power stations. Its is very unlikely for anything to happen but it is possible that an entire crew could catch it and cause a facility to shutdown. Again, very very unlikely, but nevertheless ... as with any risk mitigation its good to consider scenarios even if they have a very slim chance to happen. Because I'd much rather just buy a few 5 gallon jugs of water regardless since I can always just take them camping or to a festival later in the year anyways. Better to have and not need.

I'm already at the store and they'll get used either way so who cares.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    People still work at the city water treatment facilities. The same as power stations. Its is very unlikely for anything to happen but it is possible that an entire crew could catch it and cause a facility to shutdown. Again, very very unlikely, but nevertheless ... as with any risk mitigation its good to consider scenarios even if they have a very slim chance to happen. Because I'd much rather just buy a few 5 gallon jugs of water regardless since I can always just take them camping or to a festival later in the year anyways. Better to have and not need.

I'm already at the store and they'll get used either way so who cares.
    The water systems, while they need operators are not hugely labour intensive operations. We would need to close to anarchy for our water system to go down.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    The water systems, while they need operators are not hugely labour intensive operations. We would need to close to anarchy for our water system to go down.
    I know, and thats why I even said very very unlikely in my post. Like yeah it's 0.001% chance. But anything I buy now I'm just going to use in the summer anyways. So why not, it's not like it harms anything sitting in my garage for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Well our office just banned business travel outside of North America. Personal travel to affected area listed by WHO (which at this point what countries are left?) will have to notify supervisor on travel dates and they will not be allowed on site until eval is done on return.

Don't know what that means, temp layoff?
    I read a post if an employee doesnt follow company policy on Corona virus that they can be instantly fired where as a company with no policy has no leg to stand on.

It didnt address how companies can force employees to prove their not sick befor being allowed to return. Be interesting to hear what they can and cant do.

7 people died on the cruise ship and many more were hospitalized because it. All because there was one sick passenger.

I'm not saying people should freak out and empty the shelves at places ... I just think dismissing it because the flu kills more every year is just as bad faith of misinformation as what you are talking about. Having some food and water ready is just good practice whether its a virus, or another flood or whatever.
    Re: the cruse ship deaths - what are the details and context of each individual death though? The simple death numbers you keep quoting are highly misleading without all relevant details. That's also an environment where people are likely in closer proximity to each other than normal and one could reasonably expect a higher than average infection rate. A while back someone posted something that suggested the entire planet would have this infection by September - some of the info floating around is just plain ridiculous.

If you're preparing for what you think is a 0.001% chance, why are you just preparing for virus related stuff and not all the other dangers that are of a similarly low chance of happening? If you will use the products anyway, fair enough, but I don't understand why you would go out of your way to prep for a 0.001% chance of one thing happening but not all the other events that would be of a similarly low chance of happening.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    I read a post if an employee doesnt follow company policy on Corona virus that they can be instantly fired where as a company with no policy has no leg to stand on.

It didnt address how companies can force employees to prove their not sick befor being allowed to return. Be interesting to hear what they can and cant do.
    Would coming back from personal travel and then not being allowed on site be covered under short/long term disability since you are unable to work? Or would be basically be forced unpaid leave (for employees)

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Also US deaths now up to 6. Still localized in specific communities though most of the deaths are from the seniors care facility. The URL says 5 but it was updated to 6 recently.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/02/seat...otal-to-5.html

Would coming back from personal travel and then not being allowed on site be covered under short/long term disability since you are unable to work? Or would be basically be forced unpaid leave (for employees)
    No clue the article didnt dive into this scenario. It's an interesting question that I would think would vary on your work and its benefits.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

that looks like a normal day at a costco in Calgary.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    That's not totally true... While a lot is automated - it's part of the supply chain problem that can take it down.

You still need truckers certified to haul chlorine + staff to offload... However Calgary's got 2 plants and multiple shifts - bit different than say Drumheller/Okotoks/high river. Believe there's plans for mutual aid but, still requires unaffected people available and able to travel.

Bearspaw might only take 5-6 hands to actually run - but you really need those people onsite. Maintenance and filter changes alone...

Most of the hoarding is profiteers at the moment. Just saw someone clean out a whole bin of n95 masks at crappy tire this morning.

My Ride
    Trucks

I’d be more worried about losing power than water. Tap water loss just means I need to walk 5 minutes to fill a jug in the Bow River.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

If the majority of people end up with just the sniffles I am confident enough that our government should be able to find enough sniffly people in critical roles to at least keep water in the taps

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I’d be more worried about losing power than water. Tap water loss just means I need to walk 5 minutes to fill a jug in the Bow River.
    Mmmmm beaver fever...

Powers more automated, and a transmission grid backs it up. That doesn't exist for water.

But likely it would be a boil water advisory not wholesale loss.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Mmmmm beaver fever...
    Money is probably better spent on one of these than several weeks supply of bottled water:

https://www.amazon.ca/LifeStraw-Pers...3191402&sr=8-1

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    Mmmmm beaver fever...

Powers more automated, and a transmission grid backs it up. That doesn't exist for water.

But likely it would be a boil water advisory not wholesale loss.
    That's more what I meant. There are a large number of water systems around that are still operating with little labour involved. Of course they are under near constant boil water advisories.

Page 51 of 985 FirstFirst ... 41 50 51 52 61 ... LastLast