Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 348 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 348 of 985 FirstFirst ... 338 347 348 349 358 ... LastLast
Results 6,941 to 6,960 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Folks, in the last 3-6 months or so, Alberta has experienced some 160 deaths as a result of this infection and the majority of these are in care homes with people with already serious health concerns.

Calling this a 'pandemic' is a complete farce and the joke is on us unfortunately.

For some context, AB has about 600 people commit suicide annually on average.

Note the average increase in suicide rates is 16 more dead with every 1% increase in unemployment. Its highly probable that we will see more people die of suicide (healthy, working adults) than of the actual disease here, as a result of this.

https://www.thestar.com/edmonton/201...the%20spectrum.
    At least some of those people would not have died if we knew then what we know now about treatment.

Folks, in the last 3-6 months or so, Alberta has experienced some 160 deaths as a result of this infection and the majority of these are in care homes with people with already serious health concerns.

Calling this a 'pandemic' is a complete farce and the joke is on us unfortunately.
    Alright smart guy, what would the Covid stats look like right now if we hadn't treated this as a pandemic? (rhetorical question, your response is guaranteed bullshit)

Note the average increase in suicide rates is 16 more dead with every 1% increase in unemployment. Its highly probable that we will see more people die of suicide (healthy, working adults) than of the actual disease here, as a result of this.

Don't you know everyone who has died in the last 4 months died of COVID, suicide was a by product because they knew COVID was already going to kill them!!
    /S

Seriously though, I have been trying to shed light on the suicide rates in this province due to COVID and the economic collapse. I know a few people who have already been affected by this. Its sad as fuck.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by syscal View Post
    Alright smart guy, what would the Covid stats look like right now if we hadn't treated this as a pandemic? (rhetorical question, your response is guaranteed bullshit)
    Yes, total BS.

What would have happened is that the folks in the care homes would have died of something else in short order. C19 isnt the only disease out there.

My Ride
    Axis powers

If our government didn't do anything, you can almost guarantee we would look closer to Arizona
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride

Why did the Kenney/UCP clowns not mandate masks (proven to reduce spread) and keep things moving economically as much as possible?

Why destroy peoples' lives and fuck over the entire province, for something that obviously is a farce and hyped up massively.

Even WITHOUT the governments actions, this was never going to be a pandemic of black plague proportions.
    Last edited by revelations; 06-29-2020 at 11:43 AM.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Because people are already defiant of the rules or guidelines, people wouldn't wear them the same as people were told to stop going out in public and yet they still did
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride

Again, why did the government not incentivize masks - by allowing those with masks to bypass the lineups?

No mask = line ups for elevators and stores.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Again, why did the government not incentivize masks - by allowing those with masks to bypass the lineups?

The government doesnt control the lineup system that individual business are taking?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Brent.ff View Post
    The government doesnt control the lineup system that individual business are taking?
    The government mandates emergency health actions. Its a provincial matter.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The government mandates emergency health actions. Its a provincial matter.
    You have not read what I wrote. Politics, pure and simple. Same reason masks were not recommended at the beginning, it's supply chain politics.

And you don't have to guess. If we follow Sweden's model, we would have had ~2000 dead right now and your argument won't even stand. You have to appreciate that the number we got is the result of what we did. And there are plenty of samples of what happens when government fumbles and we don't even have to look far.

Again, your point is a valid one. Another lock down is not likely due to deaths tied to lock downs. So there are only 2 paths going forward if lock down no longer acceptable. Do nothing and let death happen like Sweden or do something to let economy resume safely.

But people not doing their part and testing the limit of ICU are just asking for another shut down.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-29-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Put on mask.

Get moved ahead of the line and enter store.

Take off mask.

Tell people it's a hoax and they're sheep.

Repeat.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

If stores want to do that, they could right now. The government doesn't need to micro-manage your life. People need to use common sense and look out for themselves, not rely on 'oh the government didn't tell me to do this.

Seriously, go to any industrial site and try to skirt some PPE rules with an attitude of 'oh well no one explicitly told me I can't do this' and you'll get booted off so fast. The person most responsible for your personal safety is you.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    You have not read what I wrote. Politics, pure and simple. Same reason masks were not recommended at the beginning.
    In your opinion, what would have been the results (politically) had the AB government made the rule that mask wearers could avoid line ups and pretty much work normally in most common circumstances?

Ie. - lets avoid total economic collapse and keep the economy going as much as possible.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

In your opinion, what would have been the results (politically) had the AB government made the rule that mask wearers could avoid line ups and pretty much work normally in most common circumstances?

Ie. - lets avoid total economic collapse and keep the economy going as much as possible.
    Why does your car have seat belts if it has air bags? Why does your car have air bags if it has seat belts? Why have either if you have brakes?

Masks aren't magical, they don't reduce the spread to 0 but they significantly reduce the spread. Social distancing is still more effective than masks. Proper hand washing and hygiene and testing are also needed to stop the spread.

I think it's pretty clear that any type of priority system would result in people just gaming the system, especially considering how much of a shortage there was for masks in March or April. Perhaps you don't remember? It would likely have encouraged people to just keep reusing the same disposable mask over and over again so that they don't have to stand in long lineups.

My Ride
    ute

From a practical perspective, I'm not sure the gov't has much power to mandate as much any more. The public is not going to be as compliant with orders as they once were. The final nail in the coffin was the embarrassing statements epidemiologists were making around the world in response to the BLM protests being justified because "racism is also a pandemic". That combined with some truly bizarre misinformation campaigns and incorrect statements often due to lack of information, and here we are.

Wash your hands.
    Practice social distancing.
    Wear a mask (basically all the time)
    WFH

etc.

All of these will drop the r0 to something better in combination.

But the health officials will no longer be driving behaviour like they were 3 months ago.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Well, I'm not sure why you are fixated on line ups but given this is Texas north, mask mandate will bring social unrest. Even if Texas and Florida are closing again, they won't mandate masks. That's the problem. There is a still a large amount of population opposes masks. Latest survey, only 48% of Canadians are taking the recommendation. Effectiveness won't show up until we start to hit 70-80%.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Lots of Asian countries don't mandate masks but people wear them because they don't want to get sick, probably don't care as much about others but look at their stats compared to the Western culture... it's very obvious that masks work to prevent the spread
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Someone needs to develop a cheap, reusable, washable mask that protects the user. Right now people aren’t wearing masks because it’s designed to prevent spread to others, unless you have an unlimited supply of N95s at home. People as a whole don’t care about others, it’s why mask wearing is sporadic. It’s not selfishness or greed, just human nature.

My Ride
    Axis powers

They aren’t wearing n95 masks in Asia, normal non surgical has been working
    Sig nuked by mod.

Page 348 of 985 FirstFirst ... 338 347 348 349 358 ... LastLast