Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 380 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 380 of 437 FirstFirst ... 370 379 380 381 390 ... LastLast
Results 7,581 to 7,600 of 8733

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

  1. #7581
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,350
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bought the 3-pack of cloth masks from Costco and I like them as well. I think it was $12. They have a separate section for the chin so it doesn't slip, a stiffer nose piece, and easily adjustable bands. Not a huge fan of the bright colors but it does come with one black one. I'll check out the Rexall ones too though as we go through them pretty fast.
    Got mine from Railyard Brewing with my last beer delivery.

  2. #7582
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CEF4
    My Ride
    Ralli Machine
    Posts
    1,973
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These are what are known as anecdotes without an abundance of other information added to it. It does seem pretty likely that lockdowns work, but violating the first rule of scientific method isn't a great habit to get into.
    So serious question, what WOULD you like to see to change your mind. I appreciate a skeptical mind but I don't hear a lot of solutions or even brain storming on what we could be doing to prove / disprove lockdowns, etc.
    Cos...

  3. #7583
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,350
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm well aware that your mental handicap causes you to call out things you don't have a handle on. That's ok though, you do you.
    okay there bud. Whatever you want to say that makes your little peanut get all roasted, go for it.

  4. #7584
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,172
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got mine from Railyard Brewing with my last beer delivery.
    Haha, that seems like the best way to go about it!

  5. #7585
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,551
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got mine from Railyard Brewing with my last beer delivery.
    Big marketing segment that’s opened up! Branded masks should come free with all sorts of purchases... like face tattoos but way wider audience

  6. #7586
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,350
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big marketing segment that’s opened up! Branded masks should come free with all sorts of purchases... like face tattoos but way wider audience
    Oh no I paid $13 for mine lol.

    They sent out an email at the beginning of the pandemic basically saying "we're pivoting to beer delivery to keep our people employed" and I haven't bought another brand since. Damn good beer.

    I like to think that I paid $13 to keep someone employed for 30 minutes. But really, I'm just lazy and was an easy upsell lol.

  7. #7587
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    7,018
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Not on mine

    Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This confirms what deep down I have always known... Iím on most peopleís ignore list


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

  8. #7588
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,421
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So serious question, what WOULD you like to see to change your mind. I appreciate a skeptical mind but I don't hear a lot of solutions or even brain storming on what we could be doing to prove / disprove lockdowns, etc.
    The problem is there is a lot of variables and bad data out there and the tin foil hats will always point at them and treat them as norm.

    For example, Japanese are not reporting properly since they want to to save the Olympics. But after lock down, there cases has skyrocketed just like us and in similar fashion towards young demographics that frequent bars and clubs.

    US data after June is no longer reliable since it got politicized and CDC is barred from doing their jobs.

    Canada/France/Germany has similar case curve until July. France and Germany seems to have a better reopen than us. And I don't have any reason to doubt those numbers at this point.

    Singapore has flat lined at 200 cases/day for 6M people at lock down and has no trends going up. That's decent.

    HK has 100 cases/day for 7M people. On surface that's a pretty good number but given they had 0 cases/day until lock down is eased, it's a ramping up very quick. And there is a lot of conflict over mask wearing there too.

    Denmark and Sweden, very good comparison where one locked down and the other didn't and they are geographical neighbors. Yes Sweden got 1.8x more people but on average 4-5x more daily infections currently, and naturally, 4x more death as well.

    But at some point, everyone with find different things in those same numbers:
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-23-2020 at 12:02 PM.

  9. #7589
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So serious question, what WOULD you like to see to change your mind. I appreciate a skeptical mind but I don't hear a lot of solutions or even brain storming on what we could be doing to prove / disprove lockdowns, etc.
    What would I need to change my mind and think that lockdowns don't work? Seems like a weird question. Either way it kind of shows the real issue with the masses in general. They form an opinion first, and then look for data to back it up. Personally I prefer to remain opinionless until I can decipher some data to see what is going on, and then adjust my opinion based on what the data says.

    In this case, like I said it does seem likely that lockdowns work. But just making that assumption that correlation equals causation isn't the whole picture. Testing rates have drastically changed through all of this, the way we treat the virus has changed drastically through all of this, etc. There is other factors at play you need to consider before just forming a concrete hypothesis based on one single variable.

  10. #7590
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    7,018
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    If a human is providing the data sources, it will always be in someone's favour and not everyone's. You will never get perfect data.


    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The benefit of masks is not known at this time. But we do know it is some non-trivial amount more than zero.

    We also know that the cost of mask use is, essentially, zero.

    So the cost:benefit of mask use is approaching infinity. I'll take that every time. And every time I see someone without a mask, I think they are stupid.

  11. #7591
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    okay there bud. Whatever you want to say that makes your little peanut get all roasted, go for it.
    Just keep pumping out them ad hominems to protect your ego every time you can't back up an opinion. It's cheaper than Prozac.

  12. #7592
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If a human is providing the data sources, it will always be in someone's favour and not everyone's. You will never get perfect data.
    Nobody is talking about perfect data. But utilizing one variable, and saying that correlation equals causation is not any help to anyone. Just because ice cream sales coincide with shark attacks, does not mean one causes the other.

  13. #7593
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,128
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If a human is providing the data sources, it will always be in someone's favour and not everyone's. You will never get perfect data.
    Double blind studies are designed to combat this.

  14. #7594
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    547
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    If the smartest man out there who has a grasp on how the universe formed and grows, Stephen Hawking - says that the universe is a projection of reality. Then I can imagine that a worldwide pandemic must follow those universal laws. Elon says the same, so what exactly is this virus or any virus? A glitch in the matrix? Is cancer merely a glitch in the matrix? How do we fix the glitch, can it be fixed with our limited knowledge of existence. We are trying to fix the screen the image is projecting upon, maybe we need to be fixing the projection itself.

    Trippy thoughts on how to end the pandemic.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 07-23-2020 at 01:44 PM.
    Combustion engine cars - Bwahaha.

  15. #7595
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,067
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Anyone else think it is kind of weird to have the caveats they do on the rules wearing a mask? Like schools, gyms, eating etc are all exempt, but walking around a store 6 feet or more away from people is the only place it seems mandatory? I would think touching food and putting it in your mouth, sweat flying and breathing hard, and kids who have zero idea on how to social distance when they get playing is going to be theoretically the biggest spreader if that is the concern.

    Just doesn't seem well thought out.
    Bob Blakeborough

  16. #7596
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,172
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else think it is kind of weird to have the caveats they do on the rules wearing a mask? Like schools, gyms, eating etc are all exempt, but walking around a store 6 feet or more away from people is the only place it seems mandatory? I would think touching food and putting it in your mouth, sweat flying and breathing hard, and kids who have zero idea on how to social distance when they get playing is going to be theoretically the biggest spreader if that is the concern.

    Just doesn't seem well thought out.
    Just to add to your point, I think a major issue is lack of enforcement, since severe financial penalties are generally the only thing most people understand. A $100 fine (that's what I read it will be) isn't going to do anything to motivate people to follow the rules, and on top of that you'd have to be seen by someone capable of actually administering that fine. Struggling businesses aren't likely to turn you away if you aren't wearing one. A much larger $1,000++ fine for not wearing a mask in a place where it's mandatory might at the very least scare most people into wearing them. From my observations, the overwhelming majority of people are ignoring current rules/guidelines so I don't see a lot changing come August personally. Until there is an actual consequence for not following the rules that effects people immediately, not much will change.

  17. #7597
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,293
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Distracted driving fines are high and ppl still do it. Just saying.
    max_boost is a name known to all
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or the max boost portfolio lol xqq/hmmj/arkk/xgro/strathmore/Chinese food lol
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is diversification in a nut shell. Equity, Fixed Income, Tech, Stoner, Real Estate, and Steady Income.

  18. #7598
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,172
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Distracted driving fines are high and ppl still do it. Just saying.
    I dunno, $300 isn't really that high and your chances of getting caught are essentially zero if you just look at the cars around you first. Plus it's a lot easier to hide what you're doing in a car compared to walking into a store where dozens of people will see you. I've already seen people in yelling matches at Safeway lol.

    It was just a suggestion. Obviously a certain percentage of people will still ignore it but if a consequence is implemented that most people deem to be severe, that is going to be the best reasonable deterrent we have.

  19. #7599
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Distracted driving fines are high and ppl still do it. Just saying.
    A high fine also doesn't help change behaviors, you need a high financial penalty coupled with a high probability of receiving said penalty.

  20. #7600
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,421
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else think it is kind of weird to have the caveats they do on the rules wearing a mask? Like schools, gyms, eating etc are all exempt, but walking around a store 6 feet or more away from people is the only place it seems mandatory? I would think touching food and putting it in your mouth, sweat flying and breathing hard, and kids who have zero idea on how to social distance when they get playing is going to be theoretically the biggest spreader if that is the concern.

    Just doesn't seem well thought out.
    If you can maintain 2m from anyone that's not in your cohort, you don't need a mask. Otherwise you do.

    Gyms suppose to space people out to keep that enforced.

    As for restaurants, you are suppose to keep a party no larger than 6 and each party must be 2m away from each other OR each party has sufficient physical barrier in lieu of 2m. Ginger Beef Bistro up in Country Hills only have about 30-40% of original seating in this new arrangement when I picked up some dim sum last weekend.

    Here's guidance for each sector:
    https://www.alberta.ca/guidance-docu...ector-guidance



    CMOH Order 05-2020 is still in place. That's why I have to answer a questionnaire daily before heading into office. So if I caused an outbreak in office, the company won't be held liable (if I lie on the questionnaire).

    As for malls, I don't think there is ANY social distancing when I was in Crossiron. Especially line ups to get into the stores. The only one you can do social distancing is probably New Horizon. Also, unless a store has separate entrance and exit, social distancing is also impossible.


    The only inconsistency is school where 2m social distance is guaranteed to be violated. So by default mask would than be mandatory, but they won't say it. Of course, unless Kenney is holding out hope that he can call for Stage 3 reopen before school starts then mask won't be needed based on current rules.

    https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/61f5...gy-2020-06.pdf

    We are not in Stage 3 yet right? I don't recall it being called but I also don't think we are in any shape to be in Stage 3.



    End of the day, I have seen basically 3 reaction from restaurants - keep doing takeout/delivery only, follow the guideline perfectly or doesn't give a shit and wait for AHS to come at them.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-23-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Page 380 of 437 FirstFirst ... 370 379 380 381 390 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canadian Novel

    By krazykhoja in forum Campus Chat
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM
  2. Good novel suggestions

    By codo in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Latest Threads: 11-15-2005, 09:36 PM
  4. hotwiring--research for a novel

    By writer in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 06-12-2004, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •