Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 383 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 383 of 436 FirstFirst ... 373 382 383 384 393 ... LastLast
Results 7,641 to 7,660 of 8720

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

  1. #7641
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,164
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tons of people do and will wear masks simply for optics; they'll be mishandled, re-used, and seldom (if ever) replaced/washed. More so, people think masks are a replacement for self isolation, staying home when sick, and physical distancing so be prepared to be shoulder to shoulder with runny eyed sneezy people in public because mask bylaw solves everything.
    If you look at cars on the street, you will see tons of people have masks hanging from their rear-view mirrors that are for sure getting reused multiple times and handled multiple times without washed hands. After about 20 minutes, the moisture inside a mask becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and at that point it's a risk to your own health. Or the chin wearers, who raise them up only when they have to, then drop them back down to talk or whatever haha. Why even bother at that point. From the very start I have been saying that PPE without education can lead to worse problems, because people get complacent while not using proper procedures, so it can be worse than if they had nothing at all depending on the specific circumstance (i.e. everyone wearing gloves).

    Another problem I am seeing after talking to people who are back downtown in their offices is most people aren't being given a choice - they are being forced back, so if they say they're sick it looks bad (immediately after returning), and people who are anxious/stressed (lowering their immune system significantly) are being forced back into office environments where there is zero rule enforcement and nobody is wearing masks or following any of the rules. The rules are posted everywhere but it's just for optics and liability. So people are being asked to choose between their health and their jobs, all the while cases are rising rapidly in central Calgary. That's exactly what happened at the Cargill meat plant back near the start of all this, and is a big reason why we have had so many cases. I think part of the problem too is some of the old fashioned guys in management at various companies who determine company policy.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-24-2020 at 12:01 PM.

  2. #7642
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    The mask bylaw isn’t even in effect yet so I don’t really understand how you expect it to be enforced by police?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  3. #7643
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,164
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The mask bylaw isn’t even in effect yet so I don’t really understand how you expect it to be enforced by police?
    We are all referring to the Aug 1 mask implementation (that has been my understanding, anyway), but if you're referring to me, I just made a joke about pulling CPS off radar duty. I sincerely doubt they will ever use police resources for something like this, speeding ticket revenue is always #1 priority as we all know! Haha

  4. #7644
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    I guess I just hear the word enforce thrown around a lot. Pretty hard to enforce something that isn’t actually a rule.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  5. #7645
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,164
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I just hear the word enforce thrown around a lot. Pretty hard to enforce something that isn’t actually a rule.
    I see your point, but it will be a 'rule' effective August 1 to the best of my understanding. Enforcement, regardless of who is responsible for that, is going to be the issue I think. I don't see much changing for the people already choosing not to wear masks unless they find a way to make people think there is a real consequence for not wearing them.

  6. #7646
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see your point, but it will be a 'rule' effective August 1 to the best of my understanding. Enforcement, regardless of who is responsible for that, is going to be the issue I think. I don't see much changing for the people already choosing not to wear masks unless they find a way to make people think there is a real consequence for not wearing them.
    That’s fair. But even the city website regarding the bylaw states that they do not expect businesses to deny service for people not wearing masks.

    I would say enforcement will be near 0. A few well publicized examples similar to the ones where people dodged quarantines out east. But aside from that, no one will be practically forcing mask usage on anyone.

    You are about as likely to get in trouble for not wearing a mask as you are for smoking weed on the street.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  7. #7647
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,164
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That’s fair. But even the city website regarding the bylaw states that they do not expect businesses to deny service for people not wearing masks.

    I would say enforcement will be near 0. A few well publicized examples similar to the ones where people dodged quarantines out east. But aside from that, no one will be practically forcing mask usage on anyone.

    You are about as likely to get in trouble for not wearing a mask as you are for smoking weed on the street.
    I think you are probably correct, which does not bode well for the climbing infection rates. Not sure how much worse it has to get before they shut things down again. I suspect they will see how August goes with the new mask 'law' and go from there.

  8. #7648
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,062
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see your point, but it will be a 'rule' effective August 1 to the best of my understanding. Enforcement, regardless of who is responsible for that, is going to be the issue I think. I don't see much changing for the people already choosing not to wear masks unless they find a way to make people think there is a real consequence for not wearing them.
    Honestly, I don't think that is true for the most part. I am someone who wouldn't wear a mask before unless it was mandatory like the doctor etc, but now I will. I was always, and still am, someone who very much respected social distancing and was never in anybody safe zone, so I personally feel no need to wear a mask, but now it is a bylaw I will respect it. Not because of the fear of a fine, but just because it is now a rule for all and I don't feel so strongly about it I need to be a martyr. Whether I think it is stupid or not is irrelevant.
    Last edited by tirebob; 07-24-2020 at 03:06 PM.
    Bob Blakeborough

  9. #7649
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,164
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, I don't think that is true for the most part. I am someone who wouldn't wear a mask before unless it was mandatory like the doctor etc, but now I will. I was always, and still am, someone who very much respected social distancing and was never in anybody safe zone, so I personally feel no need to wear a mask, but now it is a bylaw I will respect it. Not because of the fear of a fine, but just because it is now a rule for all and I don't feel so strongly about it I need to be a martyr. Whether I think it is stupid or not is irrelevant.
    I guess we'll see come August. You have a great attitude towards it, but I will be surprised if the majority of those people currently refusing to wear masks do a complete 180 on August 1. This is definitely a scenario where I will be happy to be wrong.

  10. #7650
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,418
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, I don't think that is true for the most part. I am someone who wouldn't wear a mask before unless it was mandatory like the doctor etc, but now I will. I was always, and still am, someone who very much respected social distancing and was never in anybody safe zone, so I personally feel no need to wear a mask, but now it is a bylaw I will respect it. Not because of the fear of a fine, but just because it is now a rule for all and I don't feel so strongly about it I need to be a martyr. Whether I think it is stupid or not is irrelevant.
    So far nobody got fined in TO either and there isn't much incidents*. But the effect seems positive as well.

    *Other than this dude:
    https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/police-is...rket-1.5026023

  11. #7651
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,062
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess we'll see come August. You have a great attitude towards it, but I will be surprised if the majority of those people currently refusing to wear masks do a complete 180 on August 1. This is definitely a scenario where I will be happy to be wrong.
    There's no denying stupid people will be stupid people. Really, if everyone respected social distancing properly and observed some simple "self" monitoring and basic cleanliness and were not fucking idiots in the first place, masks in most situations are absolutely needless, but we seem to have become a society that has to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator. It is what it is and I sure as hell can't seem to fix it.
    Bob Blakeborough

  12. #7652
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Leduc, Alberta
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    So what are everyones thoughts on actual safety approved masks? Like N95's and filtered respirators? These things seem like they should be better than a basic cloth mask, because they are tested and approved for work sites and whatnot. However, their only purpose is to filter the breathing air of the user. They don't filter anything the user is breathing out, they're actually designed to not make breathing strenuous by use of a one way valve that allows unfiltered breath out of the mask.

    EDIT- I should mention I'm specifically talking about the valved N95's. I'm sure someone will bring up the cheap ones that have no valve.

  13. #7653
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    946
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what are everyones thoughts on actual safety approved masks? Like N95's and filtered respirators? These things seem like they should be better than a basic cloth mask, because they are tested and approved for work sites and whatnot. However, their only purpose is to filter the breathing air of the user. They don't filter anything the user is breathing out, they're actually designed to not make breathing strenuous by use of a one way valve that allows unfiltered breath out of the mask.

    EDIT- I should mention I'm specifically talking about the valved N95's. I'm sure someone will bring up the cheap ones that have no valve.
    They don't filter air you breathe out which is the point of masks during covid. N95 makes with valves are specifically not to be used during surgeries and such for this reason.

    So you shouldn't wear them but I'm sure people still will unfortunately
    Nolan

  14. #7654
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2006 Nissan Titan
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Honestly, I don't think that is true for the most part. I am someone who wouldn't wear a mask before unless it was mandatory like the doctor etc, but now I will. I was always, and still am, someone who very much respected social distancing and was never in anybody safe zone, so I personally feel no need to wear a mask, but now it is a bylaw I will respect it. Not because of the fear of a fine, but just because it is now a rule for all and I don't feel so strongly about it I need to be a martyr. Whether I think it is stupid or not is irrelevant.
    I feel the exact same way. +1

  15. #7655
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3
    Posts
    4,244
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHockey13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd be curious to see STD rates too after those tents...
    There is a reason why April is known as 'stampede baby' month at many local hospitals.

  16. #7656
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    547
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    So there seems to be a coin shortage in the USA. Damn nickel hoarders.
    Combustion engine cars - Bwahaha.

  17. #7657
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    547
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    USA: $600 freebie and eviction guarantees now gone. Let the looting commence full steam.
    Combustion engine cars - Bwahaha.

  18. #7658
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    From what I have seen in Seattle, which is admittedly very different politically, there is a critical mass influence effect. Nobody wants to wear a mask in the store if there are only a handful of people wearing them, but once the majority started wearing them, nobody wanted to be among the handful who didn’t. Even if people don’t agree with it, most don’t want to deal with the shameful gaze of contempt from everyone else.

    Ours have been mandatory for a while now, but the governor wasn’t having any enforcement. He’s just relying on voluntary compliance and public shaming. It works for the most part.

    I am skeptical of the negative health effects. I wear a mask skiing all day, sometimes on week long trips, and don’t wash it every time I go.

  19. #7659
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From what I have seen in Seattle, which is admittedly very different politically, there is a critical mass influence effect. Nobody wants to wear a mask in the store if there are only a handful of people wearing them, but once the majority started wearing them, nobody wanted to be among the handful who didn’t. Even if people don’t agree with it, most don’t want to deal with the shameful gaze of contempt from everyone else.

    Ours have been mandatory for a while now, but the governor wasn’t having any enforcement. He’s just relying on volunteers compliance and public shaming. It works for the most part.

    I am skeptical of the negative health effects. I wear a mask skiing all day, sometimes on week long trips, and don’t wash it every time I go.
    The negative health effect argument is hilarious nonsense

  20. #7660
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    736
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    But them O2's!!!!!



    Surprised to see over 25% rate of dislikes.

Page 383 of 436 FirstFirst ... 373 382 383 384 393 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Canadian Novel

    By krazykhoja in forum Campus Chat
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 09-19-2008, 04:35 PM
  2. Good novel suggestions

    By codo in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Latest Threads: 11-15-2005, 09:36 PM
  4. hotwiring--research for a novel

    By writer in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 06-12-2004, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •