Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 628 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 628 of 985 FirstFirst ... 618 627 628 629 638 ... LastLast
Results 12,541 to 12,560 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Meh. They are just punishing the lazy.
    Who doesn't have their alcohol by 8 pm on NYE?
    And before someone mentions running out, then you shouldn't have skimped out when you did your haul.

Get your shit together Karen.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Quote Originally Posted by xrayvsn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The name of this virus is technically SARS-CoV2, to differentiate it from the coronavirus isolated from the SARS outbreak in 2003 and MERS-CoV, as they are genetically distinct.

COVID-19 is the disease caused by SARS-CoV2, a shortened form of “Coronavirus disease - 2019”. Since we did not have a coronavirus associated illness in 2018, there is no such thing as COVID-18. The 19 does not denote a mutation or strain number, but the year in which SARS-CoV2 and the illness caused by it was first identified.
    I really feel stupid it took me this long to ask this question. So COVID is a disease and SARS-CoV2 is a virus. Which.... I know the difference between it being a bug and a string of RNA, taking medications for one over the other. But I didn't really think about how a virus causes a disease.... is pneumonia a disease then? What causes it? Is that how AID's is the disease you get from HIV?

Kinda off topic, but I figure I should probably know by this now. I'm electrical / physics. I stopped my biology when we got to:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    Cos...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

buying liquor after sundown on NYE is amateur hour. I have enough to keep hundreds drunk . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    4x4

Now we're into sabotage/terrorism against vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post

Now we're into sabotage/terrorism against vaccines?
    The Communists.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    buying liquor after sundown on NYE is amateur hour. I have enough to keep hundreds drunk . . . .
    Liquor runs at 10:30 after flames game on Nye was a go to staple!

Alberta with the second worst vaccine rollout in the country, behind only Ontario (who just stopped vaccinating for reasons nobody can understand). Less than 25% of the goal. 29,000 by the end of the month, claim was holding onto vaccine for the second dose, but even with that, not hitting anywhere near 14,500 either. Just incompetence all around.

But AHS has been approved to pay overtime to have vaccinations occur on Jan 1 now, so a good start to the New Year at least.

Moderna vaccine has arrived as well, so things will start to pick up

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    Alberta with the second worst vaccine rollout in the country, behind only Ontario (who just stopped vaccinating for reasons nobody can understand). Less than 25% of the goal. 29,000 by the end of the month, claim was holding onto vaccine for the second dose, but even with that, not hitting anywhere near 14,500 either. Just incompetence all around.

But AHS has been approved to pay overtime to have vaccinations occur on Jan 1 now, so a good start to the New Year at least.

Moderna vaccine has arrived as well, so things will start to pick up
    Government bureaucracies are terrible at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Government bureaucracies are terrible at everything.
    Especially when they’re conservative bureaucracies, evidently.

My Ride
    Silverado

So how does the role out work? You'd expect the role out would be carried out by AHS?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    So how does the role out work? You'd expect the role out would be carried out by AHS?
    AHS has a budget and can’t be paying overtime for luxuries like overtime for staff administering vaccines.

My Ride
    4x4

AHS has a budget and can’t be paying overtime for luxuries like overtime for staff administering vaccines.
    It's like AHS believes that if they distributed it to the units with the paperwork... A frontline employee who wanted it couldn't get their jab by a coworker in the 5 minutes while they're doing report/charting/etc.

Nah we'll set up massive clinics and bring large groups together and do it as inefficently as possible

My Ride
    ute

Especially when they’re conservative bureaucracies, evidently.
    But are they?

But are they?
    Saskatchewan and Manitoba also round out the bottom four. So it’s not looking pretty.

But those are just numbers, I guess.

My Ride
    ute

Saskatchewan and Manitoba also round out the bottom four. So it’s not looking pretty.

But those are just numbers, I guess.
    No, I mean are the bureaucracies conservative? I'd bet the AHS ranks are full of dipper voters. Bureaucracies don't change wholesale with new governments, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    I really feel stupid it took me this long to ask this question. So COVID is a disease and SARS-CoV2 is a virus. Which.... I know the difference between it being a bug and a string of RNA, taking medications for one over the other. But I didn't really think about how a virus causes a disease.... is pneumonia a disease then? What causes it? Is that how AID's is the disease you get from HIV?

Kinda off topic, but I figure I should probably know by this now. I'm electrical / physics.
    Yes, pneumonia is the disease which can be caused by a variety of different microbes. For example, the run of the mill “community acquired” pneumonia is most often caused by Streptococcus bacteria, but there are many other potential causative organisms for pneumonia.

The spectrum of illness caused by SARS-CoV2 is given the umbrella term COVID-19. This covers all of the variable manifestations including the viral pneumonia component to the loss of taste/smell, cardiovascular inflammation and in its most severe, multi-organ failure leading to death. As you have alluded, it is a complex interaction of the virus with the host and its immune response that produces the disease.

Your example of HIV/AIDS is apt. HIV is the virus which has a specific interaction with our immune T-cells. The death of these T-cells secondary to infection by HIV eventually causes the host to become immune compromised which then makes the host susceptible to certain opportunistic infections and illnesses. AIDS is the diagnosis when someone has these AIDS-defining clinical conditions.

In medicine, we often recognize the disease long before we know the cause, as with the HIV/AIDS example above. In the case of SARS-CoV2/COVID-19, we saw the unusual cluster of viral pneumonia and were able to identify the presumptive cause quickly due to advances in molecular biology.

No, I mean are the bureaucracies conservative? I'd bet the AHS ranks are full of dipper voters. Bureaucracies don't change wholesale with new governments, you know.
    So after 40 years of conservative governments, the NDP was so efficient they were able to fill the AHS ranks in their one term so much that the conservatives haven’t been able to swing it back?

But the UCP got their board members on when they came in (replaced the NDP people as quickly as the NDP replaced the PC people before them). AHS also reports to the Minister of Health, so it’s pretty conservative at the top.

My Ride
    ute

So after 40 years of conservative governments, the NDP was so efficient they were able to fill the AHS ranks in their one term so much that the conservatives haven’t been able to swing it back?

But the UCP got their board members on when they came in (replaced the NDP people as quickly as the NDP replaced the PC people before them). AHS also reports to the Minister of Health, so it’s pretty conservative at the top.
    I'm sure the ranks of most government bureaucracies are filled with anti- government ideologues. That makes perfect sense.

I'm sure a lot of six-figure AHS managers were voting for a party that before 2015 had about as many voters as AHS has employees.

Departments take direction from the top. I get personal responsibility isn't in the mantra of the current government or their supporters, but they picked the leadership of AHS and provides AHS with their resources, so whether they want to or not, it's on their heads. They cut funding, they didn't want to pay overtime, they didn't want to access the federal money being offered up to pay for overtime and staff.

As an aside, I couldn't help but remember this cover that aged so well: 'Who are the five people most responsible for ensuring more Justin Trudeau leadership in Canada?'' Christ, it's only been two years since this trainwreck.

click for larger version

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    It's like AHS believes that if they distributed it to the units with the paperwork... A frontline employee who wanted it couldn't get their jab by a coworker in the 5 minutes while they're doing report/charting/etc.

Nah we'll set up massive clinics and bring large groups together and do it as inefficently as possible
    The Pfizer vaccine needs to be administered where it's stored, hence the clinics and bringing people in.

Staff at the clinics was minimal because of costs, combined with staff being maxed out in ICU. So the availability to get a vaccine is limited, and the people who need to get it have the least time available to do so because they're short staffed. If you're an ICU nurse working a 12 hour day shift and you're not at a vaccine site, you basically miss a window to get the vaccine. Maybe you were lucky and got Christmas off and could have gotten it then, but they suspended vaccinations because of costs. The Moderna vaccine has more flexibility due to less storage limitations and can be setup at more locations, but you still need to pay the people to actually administer it.

Of course even Moderna with fewer limitations, is still at risk if not done properly

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...mperature-snag

Temperature Snag Delayed 144,000 Moderna Shots Bound for Texas
    Last edited by kertejud2; 12-31-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Page 628 of 985 FirstFirst ... 618 627 628 629 638 ... LastLast