Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 517 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 517 of 985 FirstFirst ... 507 516 517 518 527 ... LastLast
Results 10,321 to 10,340 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    Edge

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah that fat ass who canÂ’t stop stuffing his face with junk is all genetics right? People need to start facing the consequences for their actions and be responsible for their choices. Unhealthy lifestyles isnÂ’t a condition, itÂ’s a choice. DonÂ’t know how cancer and diabetics came into this conversation, you are putting words in my posts. Humanity in general has gotten unhealthier over the generations because of their own choices. Maybe the next Covid virus wonÂ’t be so relatively kind.
    I would suggest that you quit while you're behind. Then, perhaps educate yourself on things such as the roles that genetics, home environment, epigenetics, and adverse childhood experiences play in future physical and mental health, including depression, addictions, and unhealthy coping mechanisms. It isn't even remotely so simple as people making their own choices, just because they're (apparently) different from the ones you've made. Maybe pick up some empathy and compassion while you're at it because not everyone is as awesome as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    You're going around digging to find nutters who support your point of view. None of that has anything to do with science. It's all just you and the QANON folks reinforcing their crazed worlds views. Show me some peer reviewed papers that support their inane points like masks don't work. Oh wait that's right you're using appeal to authority and false equivalency for your arguments. No room for science or actual proper studies when you have an agenda to push!
    Actually Buster just posted the study for masks and Covid in the science thread. Feel free to check it out.

It's funny that you like to talk about false equivalency, while clearly not understanding what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by SKR View Post
    Yeah these are the things to research, not random unchecked dickheads posting youtube videos.
    There is a big difference between researching, and just accepting the opinion of the paper writer without actually looking at the data they provided. Just something to be wary of.

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    53 covid deaths past week * 52 weeks = 2500 deaths per year.

So WITH: masks, business restrictions, contact tracing (that's overwhelmed now unfortunately), mandatory isolations, cerb and other government benefits covid is already picking up pace enough to be closing in on our leading cause of death per week, per your numbers.

If our province was dumb enough to follow people like you we'd have way higher numbers and way more deaths.
    Except that Covid deaths will run their course and then be done with. Not to mention Covid deaths could be greatly reduced with some common sense controls put in place, instead of trying to blanket lockdown and quarantine healthy people.

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Tobacco use is a personal choice, getting covid is not
    Well that's not exactly true. Covid exists, if you don't want to risk getting it, don't go out. If you go out and expect everyone else to protect you, it's only your fault if you get it.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    You do know that life expectancy is not an indicator of overall health, but more likely a reflection of the health care technology which has grown by leaps and bounds in the timeframe that graph represents?
    His comment was "Humanity in general has gotten unhealthier over the generations", which is a lol any way you cut it.

As for life expectancy being a poor indicator - I don't know about that. Ask any dead person how healthy they feel and then get back to me.

(For the record, life expectancy has gone up because: improved understanding of infectious disease, antibiotics, vaccines, industrialized food production, better management of chronic conditions, and much reduced infant mortality. None of these things has contributed to "Humanity in general has gotten unhealthier over the generations ").

If that's the case then are you saying the US health care system is garbage? (I think the US is trash for medical system, but many beyonders believe its so much better and Canada should privatize the world)

You're attempting to twist two arguments together......as usual. The US DOES have better healthcare. However they have less access to that better quality care due to the shit show they have allowed from the insurance companies.

And healthcare certainly does not tell the whole story. America has much higher rates of obesity, diabetes, etc. Simply put, Canadians actually care about their personal health more.

My Ride
    ute

This thread is unhealthy, I think I lose brain cells every time I read it in the last week or two.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

If that's the case then are you saying the US health care system is garbage? (I think the US is trash for medical system, but many beyonders believe its so much better and Canada should privatize the world)

I don't believe health care in the US is trash, no. I believe access to health care in the US is trash, which is a determining factor. When there is a barrier to entry into the system, or to use the system, which can be absolutely crippling in some cases, then that will effect the health and life expectancy of the people. I think we forget and we are spoiled by the fact we can walk into any hospital or any physicians office and never see a single bill in the vast majority of cases.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    ute

Canada has limited access as well it just looks different.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

(For the record, life expectancy has gone up because: improved understanding of infectious disease, antibiotics, vaccines, industrialized food production, better management of chronic conditions, and much reduced infant mortality. None of these things has contributed to "Humanity in general has gotten unhealthier over the generations ").
    Awww... No fair! You gave it away! It was funnier when it needed to guess.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    You're attempting to twist two arguments together......as usual. The US DOES have better healthcare. However they have less access to that better quality care due to the shit show they have allowed from the insurance companies.
    Ironically it's the insurance companies that make it so good. Because of insurance, they hospitals eagerly raise prices knowing insurance is paying for it, so they can buy top notch equipment and hire the best. Which leaves those without insurance going broke because it's so good.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by duaner View Post
    Maybe pick up some empathy and compassion while you're at it
    It all comes down to this doesn’t it. Life is too short to give a shit about people I don’t know. Some people spend their entire lives helping others but forget to live and enjoy life themselves. I wear those stupid masks and have been since the start of this crap, it has nothing to do with protecting others. Last thing I want is some Covidiot freaking out, I don’t have time for that and would rather move on with my life than deal with pointless conflicts.

In the end it doesn’t matter what opinion you have, it doesn’t affect anything in the real world. You can “win” whatever argument you want on Internet forums and click on those rep buttons. Opinions on lockdowns are irrelevant unless you go beyond complaining or trying to prove a point on forums. Please try to convince me that obesity and picking up smoking is due to childhood trauma, because it won’t work. You’ve made your choice and in the best case those choices will cause your early demise.
    Last edited by jutes; 11-20-2020 at 11:41 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

It all comes down to this doesn’t it. Life is too short to give a shit about people I don’t know. Some people spend their entire lives helping others but forget to live and enjoy life themselves.
    Can't you do both? Not so black and white.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Can't you do both? Not so black and white.
    What is the standard? I’ll hold the door open for others, but I won’t fly into war zones and volunteer in refugee camps. What’s the prerequisite for “helping others”?

Every year 9 million people die from starvation that has a simple cure: food. Does the western world really care about saving lives, I don’t think so. It’s only important when it affects us. People can post all they want on how lockdowns save lives, but they completely ignored the sheer brutality of the world before Covid and the millions of deaths each year that were completely preventable. It’s too easy to pretend that they care, but only when it’s convenient and affects them. aLl LiVES mAtTeR.

Canada has limited access as well it just looks different.
    However our access is much better than the US. The problem is we trade off quality of the system for greater access to the system.

My Ride
    Model S

However our access is much better than the US. The problem is we trade off quality of the system for greater access to the system.
    Having experienced both, I would say this is roughly accurate.

Both systems suck in different ways.

The US system could improve a lot if it were a functioning free market. Seriously, if you go into any doctor or hospital, and ask what something other than your basic annual physical (yeah, we get those here) is going to cost, they just give you a blank stare. They can't even tell you if they want to. If you've ever watched "Whose Line Is It Anyway", that's how hospital billing works. They just make up random stupid numbers.

The patient has no means for price discovery, and the patient has no expertise to evaluate the necessity or value of the procedure, and, if they need meds, that market is also fucked up, so overall it doesn't even work right for a private system.

I think I would like to see the "medicare for all who want it" proposal. If the government can beat the free market and be self-sustaining, happy to use them. If they fuck it up, we have other options.

If you have good insurance, and you're ok with spending a few thousand a year (typical deductible), I'd definitely prefer the US system. If you don't make much, but aren't poor enough for medicare, it really really sucks. If you're self employed it's pretty shitty too.

My Ride
    ute

When you consider time delays in Canada as access, then access is baaaad.

Personally I would quantify wait times as part of the quality measurement, and one of the reasons I rank our system so low for quality. But I can understand how one might group that into access.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

TC is going to have staff work from home again after next week until at least Jan 11.

My Ride
    Bicycle

This thread is unhealthy, I think I lose brain cells every time I read it in the last week or two.
    Yeah, at this point I think I have nothing more to add. Minds are not going to be changed and I think we are heading down the road the few of us in the society is steering us into (on either side of the spectrum). So there is nothing we can do but do our best and ride it out.

Good luck everyone.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

What is the standard? I’ll hold the door open for others, but I won’t fly into war zones and volunteer in refugee camps. What’s the prerequisite for “helping others”?

Every year 9 million people die from starvation that has a simple cure: food. Does the western world really care about saving lives, I don’t think so. It’s only important when it affects us. People can post all they want on how lockdowns save lives, but they completely ignored the sheer brutality of the world before Covid and the millions of deaths each year that were completely preventable. It’s too easy to pretend that they care, but only when it’s convenient and affects them. aLl LiVES mAtTeR.
    Yeah... There is a lot I agree with there actually.
    Reminds me of how a lot of people speak to causes and say something like "Well my father had this disease and it's an awful thing which is why I chose to donate..." etc. To me it reads as someone who only chose to help this particular cause because it affected them personally. It's bizarre. I don't need to starve to understand that there are many people who don't have a full stomach everyday, or get chemo to understand the challenges to everyone involved with cancer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yes, this is the single largest problem with health care in Canada. There is a constant shortage.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 517 of 985 FirstFirst ... 507 516 517 518 527 ... LastLast