Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 382 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 382 of 985 FirstFirst ... 372 381 382 383 392 ... LastLast
Results 7,621 to 7,640 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alberta ICU up to 21 (from 6 a month or so ago). Hospitalizations up to 106
    To be honest, I thought things were going to get worse than they are now after reopening. I don't think anyone really thought we were going to continue crushing the curve once people were back in contact with each other. It is a shame that the city had to mandate masks though. We were all doing really well at the start but lots of people are now becoming complacent. I see it all over with people putting themselves at risk now whereas when we first reopened (and especially during lockdown) I noticed almost everyone doing a good job.

I don't like mandated masks, but if people aren't going to do what they need to do to be safer then I absolutely see why the city did this. The fewer cases going into flu season makes a huge difference to how bad it will get.

And make no mistake - expect it to be bad in any event. If we want to stay open, I anticipate seriously draconian rules are going to be mandated everywhere by Christmas at the latest. Rightists will freak.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    To be honest, I thought things were going to get worse than they are now after reopening. I don't think anyone really thought we were going to continue crushing the curve once people were back in contact with each other. It is a shame that the city had to mandate masks though. We were all doing really well at the start but lots of people are now becoming complacent. I see it all over with people putting themselves at risk now whereas when we first reopened (and especially during lockdown) I noticed almost everyone doing a good job.

I don't like mandated masks, but if people aren't going to do what they need to do to be safer then I absolutely see why the city did this. The fewer cases going into flu season makes a huge difference to how bad it will get.

And make no mistake - expect it to be bad in any event. If we want to stay open, I anticipate seriously draconian rules are going to be mandated everywhere by Christmas at the latest. Rightists will freak.
    July 9th: 590 active cases and 7 ICU
    July 23rd: 1293 active cases and 21 ICU

Basically double the cases in 2 weeks and triple the ICU ... Gonna be scary if that pace continues and we double again in 2 weeks

My Ride
    Axis powers

Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Basically double the cases in 2 weeks and triple the ICU ... Gonna be scary if that pace continues and we double again in 2 weeks
    If people are forced to wear masks, it really is a constant reminder in case you are forgetting to do the other things like keeping distance and washing hands. I think with this step we will at least reduce that doubling rate. But still, even if we cut it in half that still is way too many going into flu season.

I keep harping on flu season because many are basing their own projections on current infection rates. Even now a month after opening it is really quite low so it's hard for many to understand what is right around the corner if we aren't careful.

My Ride
    4x4

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/outbreak-...ases-1.5037041

40 cases one spin class.

Yup we're getting stuck wearing masks and will be lucky if it's controlled again by the time school should resume.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Alberta has 24% of Canada's active cases, with 12% of Canada's population
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by adam c View Post
    Alberta has 24% of Canada's active cases, with 12% of Canada's population
    Stampede... well... cowboys to be specific and their “home stampede” packages... city should fine Vickers

The amount of those tents I saw in Instagram.... ridiculous

I'd be curious to see STD rates too after those tents...

My Ride
    Bicycle

AA and Southwest now mandate mask, no medical exemption. They suggest customers to seek alternate carrier.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/23/amer...oid-masks.html

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Not your job to enforce bylaws. You could ask them to leave if youre uncomfortable or call bylaw or the cops to enforce it but you're not obligated to enforce it yourself.

Edit. Sounds like you may need to post a sign but you still aren't obligated to enforce
    At least we are not TO where they expect business to enforce it or the business can be fined $1000.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    So places like Costco and IKEA. No mask in cafeteria but mask in store? Are cafeterias open?

Is social distancing still required with a mask?
    Yes if the other person isn't wearing one because they can infect you.

Also, how hard is it to follow airline protocol? Mask off only for eating, mask on when your are done. Why is everyone need to be told exactly what to do and keep looking for loopholes.

In the case of Costco food court, all seats are gone and it's takeout only.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-23-2020 at 09:23 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post

40 cases one spin class.

Yup we're getting stuck wearing masks and will be lucky if it's controlled again by the time school should resume.
    Airflow, that building has bad airflow

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Airflow, that building has bad airflow
    Or really good airflow depending on your point of view.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post

40 cases one spin class.

That's my cousin's old gym which closed down a couple of months ago. Spin Cycle took over the space and for some reason didn't change the signs, all the media is using the images and now my poor cousins are getting bombarded with messages.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Nissan x2

AA and Southwest now mandate mask, no medical exemption. They suggest customers to seek alternate carrier.
    Just wait until someone cites discrimation and sues. I don't know what medical criteria someone needs to fall under to get a mask-free card, but I'm betting that a good portion of them are people who 'feel' claustrophobic. It's like those obese people with "medical" conditions who abuse those electric carts in walmart. Bitch you have joint problems because you are fat.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    Just wait until someone cites discrimation and sues. I don't know what medical criteria someone needs to fall under to get a mask-free card, but I'm betting that a good portion of them are people who 'feel' claustrophobic. It's like those obese people with "medical" conditions who abuse those electric carts in walmart. Bitch you have joint problems because you are fat.
    Given how US has so many ambulance chasers, they must have consulted before enacting that move and has done a cost vs benefit exercise. Even if it's security theater, it may help them increase market share of what scraps of travel that's out there.

UK mandatory mask in effect:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53522129

Mask for AB school under review:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...d-19-1.5661403

Our guidance for schools will continue to evolve in the days ahead
    As a physician and as a parent myself, I encourage all parents across Alberta to include reusable cloth masks on their back to school shopping list this year.
    Just a hint at where this is going after Kenney and Larange threw Hinshaw under the bus when asked why there's no mandatory mask with school opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I foresee them aggressively enforcing this for the cashflow.

What else are all those bylaw officers doing since no one is parking downtown anymore?
    Haha the ByLaw officers don't seem to aggressively enforce anything, including much more lucrative things like smoking too close to building doors where they could just park anywhere downtown and write tickets all day if they wanted to. I don't think the mask "law" will change much, but I guess we will find out. I think ByLaw officers do whatever their quota is for the day then go sit in a Tim Hortons with the CPA guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post

What flattened our curve so well in the beginning was having everything shut down / closed. Obviously that comes with it's own set of economic disadvantages, but nothing does a better job at reducing cases than keeping people at home. People's attitude and rule-following in terms of social distancing, hand washing, masks, etc. has been essentially zero since March, so now that things are opening again, cases are rapidly climbing to nobody's surprise. You basically have to do one of two things: A) Shut it all down again, or B) Have the capability to actually enforce the rules with a punishment people are actually afraid of, such as a large fine, and make people feel like the chances of getting caught are high enough (I would be fine with this). Without that it's all pretty pointless, as we are currently seeing with the massive spike in cases.

I was downtown a couple days this week and almost nobody was wearing a mask (just building staff), people are walking around in groups, physical meetings are happening, and it's largely business as usual aside from all the signage. And like many people have been saying, all the highest risk activities do not require a mask. Our elevators have 4 stickers on the floor saying stay 6ft apart, and the diameter of the elevator is not even 6ft

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I was downtown a couple days this week and almost nobody was wearing a mask (just building staff), people are walking around in groups, physical meetings are happening, and it's largely business as usual aside from all the signage. And like many people have been saying, all the highest risk activities do not require a mask. Our elevators have 4 stickers on the floor saying stay 6ft apart, and the diameter of the elevator is not even 6ft
    Walked into Starbuck in Hotel Arts today and mask adaptation is still at less than 50%.

And someone wearing a mask took if off to talk to someone.

So another shutdown it is.

Also learnt today that one of our offices is kinda exposed to the Fire & Ice/Cactus club outbreak but glad that very few people are in office in current stage. And I am waiting for that Spin class outbreak also have some effect to area around Mission in the following days once contact tracing team catches up.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-24-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Walked into Starbuck in Hotel Arts today and mask adaptation is still at less than 50%.

And someone wearing a mask took if off to talk to someone.

So another shutdown it is.
    Yup. I honestly don't know how anyone can think there is any other option if they want to reduce cases. The public is largely to blame for their inability (or lack of desire) to follow simple rules, but at the same time the city is encouraging people to do high-risk activities by opening gyms, and we are seeing how well that is working out.

Like I said, either shut it all down OR enforce it with a severe punishment and a high likelihood of being caught. Otherwise it's pointless. Maybe they can re-purpose the CPS staff running photo radar vehicles to do mask enforcement...

I know for a fact people who were at Cactus Club the day one of their staff members tested positive for COVID were in our building, however nobody was notified and they weren't told to self quarantine for 14 days. People just don't give a shit, and until that changes (via enforcement or lock-down), cases will keep climbing.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Tons of people do and will wear masks simply for optics; they'll be mishandled, re-used, and seldom (if ever) replaced/washed. More so, people think masks are a replacement for self isolation, staying home when sick, and physical distancing so be prepared to be shoulder to shoulder with runny eyed sneezy people in public because mask bylaw solves everything.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I’ve been wearing disposable masks since March. Have to breath slightly harder, no big deal. Tried a reusable cloth one today and was surprised how much tougher it was to breath through. After 30 mins of talking my heart rate was up, I was sweating a little, felt like an easy workout. I mean I’m not really that out of shape so was really surprised. Not sure if the mask was sealing too much or what.

So I guess I can understand and sympathize with the out of shape anti maskers a little. All this talk about oxygen levels and nobody mentions the additional physical exertion needed with a mask on. Might not affect us, but in supersized US I kinda get it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 382 of 985 FirstFirst ... 372 381 382 383 392 ... LastLast