Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 735 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 735 of 985 FirstFirst ... 725 734 735 736 745 ... LastLast
Results 14,681 to 14,700 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you figure it has nothing to do with what i was talking about? Here is the background of the study:

"Virological characteristics" includes transmissibility.

Then in the details of the study, they investigated the theory of enhanced transmissibility and it was supported by the finding that it has increased viral load:

Again i'm happy to be educated otherwise if you can show me some quality evidence that variants aren't more transmissible than the original strain. I don't have any skin in the game and doesn't matter to me personally whether the variants are more contagious or not. I just simply like to be aware of the latest info.
    These studies are basically useless. You ascribe far too much certainty to them.

Peer review means far less than it used it, assuming it meant anything at all in the past.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Nm
    Last edited by TurboMedic; 05-03-2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: just sick of arguing
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    Boy has this conversation taken the shit when now even peer reviewed studies are no longer relevant from the anti crowd. I trust your opinion 100% mr suntan, now where should I find my information
    I'm hardly anti-vaccine.

But people are operating on fear right now. And science has been thrown out the window.

May I ask a question that perhaps you could answer:

Are samples being tested twice?

And just a reminder, the Andrew Wakefield garbage was peer-reviewed.

It only took the Lancet 12 fucking years to retract that paper.

I think scientists and doctors are humans, susceptible to the same fallacies and errors of thought as all other people.

Considering some of the miserable idiocy I've experienced first hand from various doctors, blind trust isn't something I do.
    Last edited by suntan; 05-03-2021 at 10:57 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

How do you figure it has nothing to do with what i was talking about? Here is the background of the study:

"Virological characteristics" includes transmissibility.

Then in the details of the study, they investigated the theory of enhanced transmissibility and it was supported by the finding that it has increased viral load:

Again i'm happy to be educated otherwise if you can show me some quality evidence that variants aren't more transmissible than the original strain. I don't have any skin in the game and doesn't matter to me personally whether the variants are more contagious or not. I just simply like to be aware of the latest info.
    So you are making the jump from a study observing an increased viral load to declaring that they proved increased transmissibility? Outside of the formal findings of the study? Justifying your quoting made up transmissibility multipliers from biased news media?

Sounds to me like you are fishing for data to support your pre conceived conclusion. No wonder you like the New York Times.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

But New York Times is always upvoted on Reddit and people who post it get gilded!!!!

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    I'm hardly anti-vaccine.

But people are operating on fear right now. And science has been thrown out the window.

May I ask a question that perhaps you could answer:

Are samples being tested twice?
    If you're not there actually seeing the patients in hospital first hand or the sick individuals, its hard to take an opinion on the state or affect of the disease, and just seeing a friend or someone you know had it or whatever isn't enough information or exposure to see what COVID actually is or does

I don't know if they are testing samples twice but I can ask, I do have contacts in the lab system right now. I would say seeing how the testing system is struggling at the moment, I would say that they do not have the capacity to do that. I don't think it would matter any which way though, the system is precariously hanging in the balance and that is the measure that should be in place, not the bulk numbers.

I'll say this, again I'm seeing these people every single day, about the numbers and their accuracy. Think of the people getting tested, they typically fall into a couple of groups, the mild symptoms (runny nose, cough, fever/aches, feel good enough to get out and get tested), and the severely ill (those that go to hospital, admissions, call 911 and get transported, etc). When you consider the saturday number for example, of 2400+ and 11+% PR, you're not taking into account ANY of the other people who are in the middle swath of symptomatic and ill enough to not want to leave to get tested (fatigued, short of breath, can't leave a toilet for more than 15 minutes, vomiting, etc), but not sick enough or confident enough to seek medical attention for a number of reasons (fear of death, fear of admission, fear of hospitals, fear of financial hardship, etc) which would also potentially account for even larger numbers of infection than the tested group. These are also liabilities on the health care system as they can also decompensate to the point they require admission.

The fact of the matter is the ICUs are too busy right now. As I indicated in previous posts ICU capacity is not the same as overall hospital capacity because of the staff requirements, the equipment requirements, etc. Staff are extremely short already, bedside ICU staff are being pulled from other areas (like neonatal ICU) to staff adult COVID ICU and leaving other areas short as well. The admissions are increasing.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Lol, deflect to attack the publication instead of the substance. Classic.

Pretend it wasn’t NYT and instead it was an article from wsj or globe and mail or zero hedge. It doesn’t matter. The concensus is that the uk variant/other variants are more transmissible than the original strain. There are many studies showing this in addition to the one I linked above.

Why is it so hard to believe that the original virus mutated to be more transmissible? Such a weird position to dig your heels into lol. I’ve provided a study that indicates that they are indeed more transmissible and here’s a couple more:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...055-4/fulltext - increase R° by factor of 1.35
    https://science.sciencemag.org/conte.../eabg3055.long - 43-90% more transmissible

If these researchers are all drawing bull shit / flawed conclusions then it should be very easy to prove them wrong and wouldn’t make it past peer review.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMedic View Post
    Staff are extremely short already, bedside ICU staff are being pulled from other areas (like neonatal ICU) to staff adult COVID ICU and leaving other areas short as well. The admissions are increasing.
    Don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!

Wife is NICU here and this is her biggest fear. To go from one of the "safest" places in the hospital (they're on 24/7 lockdown without covid) to front lines. Selfish position to be in with everything going on, I know.
    Originally posted by killramos
    It's a Chrysler, it won't last long enough to depreciate.

My Ride
    ute

Pretend it wasn’t NYT and instead it was an article from wsj or globe and mail or zero hedge. It doesn’t matter. The concensus is that the uk variant/other variants are more transmissible than the original strain. There are many studies showing this in addition to the one I linked above.

Why is it so hard to believe that the original virus mutated to be more transmissible? Such a weird position to dig your heels into lol. I’ve provided a study that indicates that they are indeed more transmissible and here’s a couple more:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...055-4/fulltext - increase R° by factor of 1.35
    https://science.sciencemag.org/conte.../eabg3055.long - 43-90% more transmissible

If these researchers are all drawing bull shit / flawed conclusions then it should be very easy to prove them wrong and wouldn’t make it past peer review.
    There is far from a consensus on this. The bioinformatics guys are the ones pushing that hypothesis. The virology guys tend to think otherwise.

Personally, I don't love the data that shows increased transmissibility, because it's using proxies which I think are not the best (the viral load data, for instance).

An R-value represents transmission, not necessarily a different phenotype.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m not criticizing the research.

I’m criticizing you for misusing the research and making your own extrapolations in a fishing expedition to support your statements and preconceived notions, and I’m happy criticizing the New York Times as a source of information considering the systemic bias they have no problems layering into their publications.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    *The First*

I happen to believe it's very likely that it is more contagious. But no one should give a shit about that and neither do I until something conclusive comes out.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Timed the wife’s (there’s only one lol... well played someone) pregnancy thinking spring/summer everything would be better-ish.... really fucked that planning up. Really looking like the hospital situation is going to be royally fucked in a couple months when the baby comes.

Also lovely that we're both at office jobs that have been determined its 'essential to be in the office' by our employers... despite the fact that we could easily work remotely. Fuck, this, shit.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

You working in the office is only essential to hide how little some managers work.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Timed the wives pregnancy thinking spring/summer everything would be better-ish.... really fucked that planning up. Really looking like the hospital situation is going to be royally fucked in a couple months when the baby comes.

Also lovely that we're both at office jobs that have been determined its 'essential to be in the office' by our employers... despite the fact that we could easily work remotely. Fuck, this, shit.
    We had our kid during the peak of the insanity in November/December. Difference is now the care staff you are working with are presumably vaccinated.

I wouldn’t stress yourself out. You will be taken care of just be prepared for a bit of extra discomfort and BS as a dad (you will be reminded that you don’t technically need to be there at every step of the process ). We are still talking about 150 people in ICU province wide not bodies in the streets.

fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Don't tell Killy about the option of a home birth . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    *The First*

We had our kid during the peak of the insanity in November/December. Difference is now the care staff you are working with are presumably vaccinated.

I wouldn’t stress yourself out. You will be taken care of just be prepared for a bit of extra discomfort and BS as a dad (you will be reminded that you don’t technically need to be there at every step of the process ). We are still talking about 150 people in ICU province wide not bodies in the streets.
    @88CRX this^
    Don't worry.

My Ride
    V8s

We are still talking about 150 people in ICU province wide not bodies in the streets.
    How dare you.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Ya that would explain why BC looks better in the eyes of social media and the news. From what I’m told from friends and coworkers in BC, shit is fucked there. Hospitals are full and they have to go to far away hospitals to seek treatment.

Everyone seems to be enjoying Alberta being the worst narrative right now, probably so they can blame Kenney. So stupid how politicized everything is.
    They also only report on COVID figures every 3 days I think....so dumb.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    How dare you.
    Stuck my nose out my door this morning and it still didn’t smell like India no matter what Nenshi says.

fact.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

you will be reminded that you don’t technically need to be there at every step of the process
    Hah! So true. Lets hope the BS around my attendance is the worst of the issues. I already can't go to any appointments (not that I add anything but support).

And home birth... are you fucking kidding me? Cue the "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" at the first sight of blood so that would not work haha.

Page 735 of 985 FirstFirst ... 725 734 735 736 745 ... LastLast