Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 193 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 193 of 985 FirstFirst ... 183 192 193 194 203 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Gary Holt (Exodus, Slayer) and Chuck Billy (Testament) both had and recovered from the VID.

Chuck is a cancer survivor, came out on top.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

I'm sure there is a biblical reference somewhere in here.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm sure there is a biblical reference somewhere in here.
    I want someone to release something funny around here... I still like the tiger theory downtown/Ramsay/Inglewood has their turkey - it would be something new to watch for. Make some people a little less insane

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Damn! Down the hole I go.
    $1b Tesla gigafactory in Buffalo gifted for $1 is my favorite one.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    That's why serology testing is so important. If 30% in the sample size already got it, then this thing is going to be over quick.
    And this is what some experts are starting to speak about. They think it's possible that 50% of population may already have it and we are potentially at a point of building heard immunity. That's what is fucked about this whole thing, we have millions of undocumented positive cases out there that just haven't been added to the statistics because they haven't had symptoms severe enough to be tested. So our actual mortality rate is right around the regular flu, yet here we are trying to shut down the economy as an unnecessary cure, but the cure is worse than the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    Some people just don’t get money management or just have lived their entire lives paycheque to paycheque. My aunt and uncle are those kinds of people.
    When you make minimum wage, it doesn't have much to do with not understanding money management. Every time you save a few bucks your car breaks down, or you get sick and need to pay for some medication, or some other unforeseen expense. Living paycheck to paycheck is just the only option for most people.

Obviously there is lots of people that make good money and don't manage it well, but I don't think that's the norm. Personally I make pretty good money, but then I go an get wiped out by contractors fucking me around on my basement, and suddenly I don't have 3 months living expenses sitting around any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    100%, this is exactly what the bank of Canada has been saying for several years, debt load too high, most people won't financially survive a situation just like this. It's literally been talked about for years.

Not enough people listened I guess?
    And neither did our government. I've seen an awful lot of knee jerk BS in regards to house purchasing rules screwing up the housing market. But not once has anyone ever floated the idea of just decreasing the allowable debt service ratio. It's peoples responsibility to look after themselves, but the governments only purpose to exist is providing basic services and saving people from themselves and predatory business practices. I can't imagine being poor nowadays. Roll into the shop cause your car is broken and they tell you "It'll be 3000$ that you can't afford to fix your car today, or we can get you in a new car for 200$ a month for 15 years" Debt seems like a real good option at that point when you can't even get your ass to work without getting the new car.

Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    The difference with war is the people who go off to die are volunteers. With a deadly virus, the people you plan to sacrifice to maintain your way of life get no say in the matter.

I really don’t like where you’re going with that though. You don’t get to decide to sacrifice my friends and family just because you’re out of work. That’s fucked up.
    Yeah cause nobody has ever been drafter for war before...…………

So why do your friends and family get to dictate everyone else's livelihood just because they don't want to take their own precautions? That's fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    I could not agree with you more. I am frankly disappointed in some people. We open up the economy right now, more people die. When enough people die, we shut down the economy again. Anyone who believes that this is overblown should go volunteer at the hospital because they are obviously immune to this disease.
    Why is there as much false dichotomy surrounding this as climate change? Why is that the only two options for people? Either shut everything down 100%, or go on about business like normal...…………… No other options right. How about keeping the world functioning and having people protect themselves with PPE while doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    I just find it so fucking ironic that everyone here is onboard with "scientists know best!" when it comes to covid, but reducing our pollution with renewable resources and cutting down oil addictionbso our future selves have a fighting chance? Then the scientists are libtard quacks and "Greta's".
    The argument is eerily similar because just like climate change, there IS scientists on the other side of the argument saying we should not be shutting everything down and carrying on. But the alarmists only vocalize the opinions of scientists they agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    Because one is a "right now" problem, and the other is their kids' "right now" problem. Big difference.
    You don't think purposely spiraling us into a depression won't be our kids' problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    They can't. They are cared for by "us". That old folks home in Mackenzie Town is so completely fucked and if it didn't come in there from a worker, a family member brought it in. Brought it in from outside.
    I think DeeBot said they have 35 suspected and confirmed cases plus 5 staff in there as of today. It's a disaster.

So the elderly in ALF's are fucked either way you're saying. Great, so that's one less argument for keeping everything locked down.

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    So the elderly in ALF's are fucked either way you're saying. Great, so that's one less argument for keeping everything locked down.
    That's your takeaway from what I wrote?!
    Who do you expect to believe that your incomprehension is that vast?
    Quit fucking trolling.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Misterman's post reminds me of a WrestleMania last man standing match where the greatest wrestler of all time, the Undertaker, tombstones Triple H only to be betrayed by his main man, Paul Bearer before Ricky the Dragon Steamboat comes out of retirement to double chicken wing the traitor while narrowly avoiding being 619'd by Rey Mysterio. All this distraction allowed the Undertaker to recover enough to throw Mankind off the Hell in a cell who plummeted 16ft through an announcer's table.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 03-31-2020 at 10:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    That's your takeaway from what I wrote?!
    Who do you expect to believe that your incomprehension is that vast?
    Quit fucking trolling.

You wrote it. Feel free to clarify. You said we can't isolate the higher risk like elderly, because they are cared for by the lower risk. So here we are isolating everybody in the name of protecting the weak, and the elderly are still getting hammered by this virus anyway. What is your solution then? You tried to make an argument supporting this mass isolation we have going on, and then destroyed your own argument.

My Ride

My ass would be so sweaty working a full shift in full PPE. Especially after I shaved all of my ass hair.

I am not saying that we stay in FOREVER. That is your interpretation. The proposition has always been stay in until we control the virus either with our immune system, proven treatment, or vaccines.
    If you have been paying attention, the virus does not appear to be seasonal. See Ecuador, Australia, ME, Singapore. I have cited studies and formal reports in previous pages, so your assertion that I learned something recently does not hold up.

Yes, I do have the critical thinking skills of a ferret. A cute ferret. What exactly are your qualifications to allow you to disqualify me as intellectually inferior?
    If you are equally unqualified, as I am, then it makes sense that you too have the critical thinking skills of a ferret, albeit likely not as cute as me-ferret.
    Please do keep insulting my intelligence if that makes you feel better.
    What's yours?

"Oh kids can learn online."

What a totally asinine answer. Such depth of thought and well informed I see. I mean do you need to be explained as to why this is not tenable even in the short-term?

You also keep bringing up anecdotes. You have lathered yourself into a state of general fear. You justify your panicked reasoning with anecdotes. That is not logical, nor even reasonable.

Yes, SARS-Cov-2 will be around forever. I am curious as to how you, or anyone else, expects herd immunity to happen when everybody is in lockdown. It's not relevant anyhow as if you expose someone high risk to the virus it doesn't really matter if it's tomorrow or six months from now. Why do you think they'll somehow make it through then than now?

Note that there are no viable treatments currently. People are just throwing random shit at it at this point. I'm not even kidding.

Coronaviruses are difficult to make vaccines for. I sorta hate to break it to you, but SARS #1 has no vaccine. There were attempts - for years. No one was successful. I see no one else in this thread brought this up. Odds are there will be no effective vaccine for this one either.

There are now indications that many of the tests have a very high rate of false negatives. Also there are many, many mild/asymptomatic people. The virus has an R0 of 3 - probably higher. It's been around since mid-December. Think it through. There must be many, many, many infected that are cured.

People at low risk of the virus must be exposed. This is the best way to create a strain of the virus that is low fatality to vulnerable groups. This is why hardly anyone dies of the 2009 H1N1 strain anymore - its lethality was blunted.

Let's just realize that governments of any stripe are hardly experts at setting good policy at the best of times. There is no reason to suggest that the current policy around this virus are the correct ones, or even ones that will actually blunt the force of this virus.

My Ride

Why are you picking a fight with a ferret? Does that make you feel more intelligent? Bolster your self esteem? Are you Bolsonaro? I get it, you are a "bigger man", a stable genius, so much more successful than me.

I have been researching this since around late December and can almost certainly cite more research than you. Look back. As you say "derp derp".

This is why there was no SARS-1 vaccine. It went away eventually and there were no profits to be made. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...dried-n1150091

Keep "breaking it to me" though. My little 2 ounce brain is obviously no match for yours and I *love* to learn.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 04-01-2020 at 09:18 AM.

People at low risk of the virus must be exposed. This is the best way to create a strain of the virus that is low fatality to vulnerable groups. This is why hardly anyone dies of the 2009 H1N1 strain anymore - its lethality was blunted.
    Cross immunity to similar strains contacted in the past, as well as a vaccine millions of people received, are the main reasons H1N1's lethality was blunted.

Neither is the case with Covid-19.

My Ride

I think I need an Ivy League degree for some people to stop insulting me. Which university did Banerjee attend? Harvard?
    These insults are hurting my feewings.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 04-01-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Why are you picking a fight with a ferret? Does that make you feel more intelligent? Bolster your self esteem? Are you Bolsonaro? I get it, you are a "bigger man", a stable genius, so much more successful than me.

I have been researching this since around late December and can almost certainly cite more research than you. Look back. As you say "derp derp".

This is why there was no SARS-1 vaccine. It went away eventually and there were no profits to be made. https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...dried-n1150091

Keep "breaking it to me" though. My little 2 ounce brain is obviously no match for yours and I *love* to learn.
    SARS-1 never went away. It's still around! People still get it. Years after! It's simply not as lethal as before. Can you think of why?

My Ride

SARS-1 never went away. It's still around! People still get it. Years after! It's simply not as lethal as before. Can you think of why?
    Still arguing with a ferret.

Found Banerjee's school. Harvard Extension School, here I come! And of course, always govern yourself accordingly. Saying that makes me feel sooo powerful I can crush five redbulls!

Name:  banerjee.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  81.5 KB
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 04-01-2020 at 09:30 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Still arguing with a ferret.

Found Banerjee's school. Harvard Extension School, here I come! And of course, always govern yourself accordingly. Saying that makes me feel sooo powerful I can crush five redbulls!

Name:  banerjee.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  81.5 KB
    You will be well on your way to earning your vest!
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Yes, SARS-Cov-2 will be around forever. I am curious as to how you, or anyone else, expects herd immunity to happen when everybody is in lockdown. It's not relevant anyhow as if you expose someone high risk to the virus it doesn't really matter if it's tomorrow or six months from now. Why do you think they'll somehow make it through then than now?
    This is actually one of the things I understand and accept the argument put forth (something The_Rural_Juror succeeded in showing me OMG I said it! lol!)... The fact that if the virus spreads too quickly, the hospital systems can get overwhelmed and then we will be fucked not only for any dire health issues from the virus itself, but it will dramatically affect everything health related if that was to happen from broken arms to heart attacks. Slowing the progression in this regard isn't about people not getting the virus more than people contracting it at a manageable rate. Again I believe how the entire thing is being dealt with could probably have been done a shit ton better, but here we are and what do we do now? I hope we can strike a balance rather than the most extreme of the extreme measures, but we have to deal with what is in our face at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...dore-roosevelt

Aircraft carrier full of sick sailors just docked in Guam. Poor bastards in Guam - so much guns, nukes and ships - so little hospitals to actually keep people alive. No access to quality healthcare at any price. The word they used was "Tents"
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-01-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    The fact that if the virus spreads too quickly, the hospital systems can get overwhelmed and then we will be fucked not only for any dire health issues from the virus itself, but it will dramatically affect everything health related if that was to happen from broken arms to heart attacks. Slowing the progression in this regard isn't about people not getting the virus more than people contracting it at a manageable rate. Again I believe how the entire thing is being dealt with could probably have been done a shit ton better, but here we are and what do we do now? I hope we can strike a balance rather than the most extreme of the extreme measures, but we have to deal with what is in our face at the moment.
    Problem is, these "experts" that are being listened to also have experts that suggest doing the complete opposite. Governments will follow those who they agree with. Our own Canadian Chief of Health wrote an academic paper in 2005 showing flight restrictions and airport testing don't work in a pandemic. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3294328/ She's been discredited in this entire subject yet all of Canada is shut down based on her advice. We're employing someone as health minister who has been discredited on the very subject of the current crisis.

Also, don't think ventilators are the savour, if you get put on one, you are likely already dead. https://www.physiciansweekly.com/mor...n-ventilators/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...dore-roosevelt

Aircraft carrier full of sick sailors just docked in Guam. Poor bastards in Guam - so much guns, nukes and ships - so little hospitals to actually keep people alive. No access to quality healthcare at any price.
    I think in this case, bunch of young, sorta healthy adults, giving everyone the virus and letting itself sort out will be quicker than the alternatives. Plus they are Navy and aren't real people.
    Last edited by jutes; 04-01-2020 at 09:50 AM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This is actually one of the things I understand and accept the argument put forth (something The_Rural_Juror succeeded in showing me OMG I said it! lol!)... The fact that if the virus spreads too quickly, the hospital systems can get overwhelmed and then we will be fucked not only for any dire health issues from the virus itself, but it will dramatically affect everything health related if that was to happen from broken arms to heart attacks. Slowing the progression in this regard isn't about people not getting the virus more than people contracting it at a manageable rate. Again I believe how the entire thing is being dealt with could probably have been done a shit ton better, but here we are and what do we do now? I hope we can strike a balance rather than the most extreme of the extreme measures, but we have to deal with what is in our face at the moment.
    Actually some of the hospitals in AB are reporting less admittance for non-covid things. With everyone isolating and staying inside less people are getting hurt and needing care. Not to mention this whole shutdown is helping the environment.

Not saying life should be like this; but this little break might have some other positive benefits beyond stemming COVID though it will have negatives on the economy and peoples stability as well.

Page 193 of 985 FirstFirst ... 183 192 193 194 203 ... LastLast