Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 713 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 713 of 985 FirstFirst ... 703 712 713 714 723 ... LastLast
Results 14,241 to 14,260 of 19685

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    '18 Murano

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nah bro. Gym people are super fit and healthy. Those mad reps keep Covid away. Must be a different source spread that coincidentally looks like it came from a gym.

Vancouver Canucks might be hit harder then one might otherwise think. Ultra fit bicyclist can die in their sleep because their heart beats too slow, but any sport that has the potential to abuse steroids of any type, can play havoc with influenza and corona type symptoms.

Even gym people should take it easy, as an inflamed heart is a thing with Covid - and you may not even know it.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Nah bro. Gym people are super fit and healthy. Those mad reps keep Covid away. Must be a different source spread that coincidentally looks like it came from a gym.
    We should close all gyms either way because dead people linked to gyms is a tragedy. But let’s completely ignore any other form of death, like ODs, because druggies deserved it. Covid deaths matter mostest.

Close society forever after this is over because life is too dangerous and your actions can lead to death. Stay home, stay alive.
    Last edited by jutes; 04-09-2021 at 06:54 AM. Reason: I’m scared of life.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    So, it's really been bothering me lately hearing gyms talk about how they are necessary for mental health and therefore will decide to be fully open. While I don't disagree that exercise is important, exercise comes in a lot of different forms and you can do a lot of workouts outside.

The most common retort I get when I say that is "gyms just hit different", which I think is just a horseshit response, because if it's that important to you, you'd find a way to get some exercise.

I also see a lot of gyms being lauded for "sticking to their principles" since they are a bastion of mental and physical health, when I also know that they have done dick all when it comes to abiding by the restrictions to begin with. I can even think of 3 that use it as a selling feature.
    It's difficult to quantify, and I'm sure a lot of gym goers are tired of trying to sell it. I'll give it a shot, but I doubt I'll do justice.
    There's a ton of forms of exercise, and sure, you can do a ton of them at home (calesthetics, running, yoga, etc), but some are more difficult.
    Unless you have a pool, you can't swim, which some people use to reduce the wear on joints.
    Unless you have space/money, you can't weightlift, which some people do, because weight loss/cardio isn't their goal.
    Unless you have the proper shoes/equipment, you can't run outside, because your neighbours are assholes, and their sidewalks are covered in ice, it's -10 outside, and by the time you have time, it's pitch black outside.

I know a lot of people who've picked up other activities, gone for a more outdoor approach, etc, but even as someone who's lucky to have weights at home, I still miss the gym. Aside from having usually better equipment, access to more varied facilities, safety equipment, and even trainers who can help/critique during your lift, there's a definite air of being at the gym.

Also, as someone who hasn't worked in the office since Mar 2020, and hasn't been to a restaurant since Nov, while the gyms were open, that was my only source of seeing other people. It was literally my only form of socializing with anyone other than my wife.
    Sure, I have training sessions, so I can still do 1:1 sessions, but that's not necessarily the same.

I've personally considered puling out my old cheapo can tire bike to try and get a different form of cardio in, but I'm surrounded by hills, and the ultimate dad bod, so I'm already intimidated.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

I've stayed out of this thread for the most part, but the growing number of businesses not closing their doors is very interesting. I work out at GYMVMT and they sent out an email this morning stating they are keeping their doors open for "private sessions" that are included with your standard membership. Looks like they are reducing capacity and using a bit of a loop hole like many other gyms such as Anytime Fitness who are open as a "retail business" that allows you to sample their equipment if you are a member. Interesting indeeed.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

All forms of restrictions are debatable with whattaboutism. There can be no perfect system of restriction. If the government enacts restrictions, there will always be people who disagree with the specifics.

Making the case for one type of business over another is a waste of time, so hopefully the complaining helps those people feel better.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Scared cows.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Making the case for one type of business over another is a waste of time, so hopefully the complaining helps those people feel better.
    Heard a restaurant owner on Eyeopener that he prefer either everyone gets to open or everyone goes home, schools included. The selective approach just prolong the problem.

My Ride

He's not wrong, two weeks of an actual lockdown (Chinese style) would bring us back to March 2020 levels.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    It's difficult to quantify, and I'm sure a lot of gym goers are tired of trying to sell it. I'll give it a shot, but I doubt I'll do justice.
    There's a ton of forms of exercise, and sure, you can do a ton of them at home (calesthetics, running, yoga, etc), but some are more difficult.
    Unless you have a pool, you can't swim, which some people use to reduce the wear on joints.
    Unless you have space/money, you can't weightlift, which some people do, because weight loss/cardio isn't their goal.
    Unless you have the proper shoes/equipment, you can't run outside, because your neighbours are assholes, and their sidewalks are covered in ice, it's -10 outside, and by the time you have time, it's pitch black outside.

I know a lot of people who've picked up other activities, gone for a more outdoor approach, etc, but even as someone who's lucky to have weights at home, I still miss the gym. Aside from having usually better equipment, access to more varied facilities, safety equipment, and even trainers who can help/critique during your lift, there's a definite air of being at the gym.

Also, as someone who hasn't worked in the office since Mar 2020, and hasn't been to a restaurant since Nov, while the gyms were open, that was my only source of seeing other people. It was literally my only form of socializing with anyone other than my wife.
    Sure, I have training sessions, so I can still do 1:1 sessions, but that's not necessarily the same.

I've personally considered puling out my old cheapo can tire bike to try and get a different form of cardio in, but I'm surrounded by hills, and the ultimate dad bod, so I'm already intimidated.
    I'm in a similar boat where my gym folks are basically the only people I saw in person (plus wonky knees and limited space). It was much worse during the winter and that cold stretch when it was like -30, but the weather is warming up now and we can do a lot of that stuff outside now. It may not be the most ideal replacement for the various gym activities, but I think people can make due for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    I've stayed out of this thread for the most part, but the growing number of businesses not closing their doors is very interesting. I work out at GYMVMT and they sent out an email this morning stating they are keeping their doors open for "private sessions" that are included with your standard membership. Looks like they are reducing capacity and using a bit of a loop hole like many other gyms such as Anytime Fitness who are open as a "retail business" that allows you to sample their equipment if you are a member. Interesting indeeed.
    Private 1-on-1 sessions have always been allowed under stage 1 rules. "Sampling" machines is an interesting tactic, but it's not hard to poke holes in their argument. The "We're a private business and can do what we want" tactic is really dumb though and has no basis in fact or logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Heard a restaurant owner on Eyeopener that he prefer either everyone gets to open or everyone goes home, schools included. The selective approach just prolong the problem.
    A full lockdown will probably kill a lot of businesses. A full re-opening will probably overwhelm the healthcare system.

I think they're just trying to balance the two and manage the ebb and flow of critical cases until people get vaccinated.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

You guys complaining about the social aspect... You know there's millions of people who don't go to the gym, WFH, and haven't been in-person socializing for over a year too, right? Even people with pre-existing depression. It sucks, but it sucks for EVERYONE following the rules. You just want a rule to bend for you personally. You're talking like snowflakes.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Kill a lot of businesses?

I think it’s been well established that most of the country loses their homes if 2 weeks pay doesn’t come in in timely fashion.

2 weeks lockdown will kill a lot more people than covid will in the alternative.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    *The First*

He's not wrong, two weeks of an actual lockdown (Chinese style) would bring us back to March 2020 levels.
    I think I'm also in this boat. Or camp. Or whatever people call it that makes me a bad person.

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post

Private 1-on-1 sessions have always been allowed under stage 1 rules. "Sampling" machines is an interesting tactic, but it's not hard to poke holes in their argument. The "We're a private business and can do what we want" tactic is really dumb though and has no basis in fact or logic.
    You are correct, but these are not 1-on-1 sessions and are only labeled private sessions to purely skirt the restrictions. Po-tay-to po-tah-to. The email was vaguely written, but i will know more Monday when they are taking bookings once again. Also, you can tell it is purely monetarily motivated by the fact that they are not automatically pausing billing until the lockdown ends, so you have to fill out a form and have them process it if you wish your account to be frozen.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    [snip]
    I mean you kind of undermined the effectiveness of your explanation when you literally said you go there to socialize get a grip.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

You guys complaining about the social aspect... You know there's millions of people who don't go to the gym, WFH, and haven't been in-person socializing for over a year too, right? Even people with pre-existing depression. It sucks, but it sucks for EVERYONE following the rules. You just want a rule to bend for you personally. You're talking like snowflakes.
    And you're refusing to acknowledge that the mental health impacts haven't been the same for absolutely everyone.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I mean you kind of undermined the effectiveness of your explanation when you literally said you go there to socialize get a grip.
    I just always assumed there wasn’t much point to being a gym rat aside from chasing tail.

fact.

Anytime fitness converting to “retail” is old news. Their head office gave them a stern pee pee slap

My Ride
    *The First*

How do I get a stern pee-pee slap once we re-enter Phase-1?
    Interested.

Page 713 of 985 FirstFirst ... 703 712 713 714 723 ... LastLast