Quantcast
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19) - Page 412 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 412 of 985 FirstFirst ... 402 411 412 413 422 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,240 of 19688

Thread: Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV/COVID-19)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't disagree with you. I'm speaking specifically to enterprise networks, not Starbucks Wifi.

When you go into your office tower and connect to your Cisco/Juniper/Cambium/SonicWall/whatever AP, the admin of that AP can absolutely identify you and those you've been around because you connected to their AP, presumably with credentials or hardware known to the company. It's a bit more fuzzy in a BYOD environment, admittedly.

The point I was making is that, if I'm Company XYZ, I'm absolutely going to be leveraging contact/proximity tracing on my in-office users because if an outbreak takes place, I can take immediate and prudent steps to get on top of it. In that scenario, the need for government opt-in contact tracing is significantly reduced.
    You'll end up with a massive number of false positives. Wifi signals are much stronger than the Low Power Bluetooth that phone based contact tracing uses. The bonus with low powered BT is that it's a hell of a lot more accurate in determining if you're in close contact with someone else. If you hear their BT token transmit, you're for sure close by. An AP in the NW corner of the office would see me at the SW corner and consider that close contact. Not to mention wifi on phones and laptops vary output power based on various factors such as battery power, network usage, etc.

Even Cisco's implementation isn't used for contact tracing, but more for a rough idea on how to manage workspaces.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Even Cisco's implementation isn't used for contact tracing, but more for a rough idea on how to manage workspaces.
    This was very true six months ago. The conversations I'm having now - I'm on a call right now with Juniper Networks organizing a webinar on contact tracing with Juniper hardware for early October - are all about how wifi access points can be leveraged for contact tracing. I'll post to FB by the way you're welcome to attend.

Every vendor I've talked to in the past quarter - Ruckus, Juniper, Cambium, SonicWall, and Cisco - are making contact/proximity tracing a major part of their marketing message.

PS - are you also in the channel?

My Ride
    ute

nerds

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    nerds
    Oh, yea without question.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

One question posed by researchers was whether someone has “seriously considered suicide in the past 30 days”— not fleetingly considered it as a momentary fantasy nor thought about it ever in their lifetime, but seriously considered suicide at least once in the past 30 days. The results are staggering.

For Americans between 18-24 years old, 25.5 percent — just over 1 out of every 4 young Americans — said they had. For the much larger group of Americans ages 25-44, the percentage was somewhat lower but still extremely alarming: 16 percent. A total of 18.6 percent of Hispanic Americans and 15 percent of African Americans said they had seriously considered suicide in the past month. The two groups with the largest percentage who said yes: Americans with less than a high school degree and unpaid caregivers, both of whom have 30 percent — or almost 1 out of every 3 — who answered in the affirmative. A full 10 percent of the U.S. population generally had seriously contemplated suicide in the month of June.
    mental health experts Andrew Solomon and Johann Hari, both of whom described how “the traumas of this pandemic — the unraveling of our way of life for however long that lasts, the compulsory viewing of all other humans as threats, and especially sustained isolation and social distancing” — will exacerbate virtually every social pathology, including ones of mental health.
    https://theintercept.com/2020/08/28/...t-unravelling/

Somewhat accelerated by COVID but maps pretty well with Jonathan Haidt’s considerations about millennials
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Without doubt Boomers had it the best. Completely out of the shadow of WWII, all of the spending for frivolous projects with money for nothing, with nothing to complain about. As much as I thought my gereration got screwed, its frightening that now two more seem to be even worse off.

I can't fathom a world without pepperoni pizza.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This was very true six months ago. The conversations I'm having now - I'm on a call right now with Juniper Networks organizing a webinar on contact tracing with Juniper hardware for early October - are all about how wifi access points can be leveraged for contact tracing. I'll post to FB by the way you're welcome to attend.

Every vendor I've talked to in the past quarter - Ruckus, Juniper, Cambium, SonicWall, and Cisco - are making contact/proximity tracing a major part of their marketing message.

PS - are you also in the channel?
    I'm not active on FB or IG anymore. And no, I'm not in the channel. I'm in marketing now, and tech shit still interests me. I try to learn and play when the opportunity presents itself. With that said...

Name:  41103830.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  109.8 KB

So did some reading into wtf Juniper is doing. So yea, they're relying on Bluetooth LE for location services, because Wifi won't work. Their AP's have some funky virtual BLE setup. I'll assume it works as marketed.

https://www.mist.com/asset-visibility/

They have a recorded webinar that talks about it, and brings up the exact same issues that I'm talking about. Randomization of MAC addresses. Even though you're connected to WiFi, devices will still randomize BT Macs. See here at the 8min mark:

Their solution? Use a BLE badge and not use the phone. Opt in, and not magically phone based contact tracing. In one of their slides, they talk about using an app, so you'd have the same problem as the original AB Covid trace app. Only works on Apple devices if the app is running in foreground. AKA useless.

So I'm still right.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOps View Post
    Without doubt Boomers had it the best. Completely out of the shadow of WWII, all of the spending for frivolous projects with money for nothing, with nothing to complain about. As much as I thought my gereration got screwed, its frightening that now two more seem to be even worse off.

I can't fathom a world without pepperoni pizza.
    Face it, there's a lot of things you can't fathom.

My Ride

So I'm still right.
    Goddammit.

EDIT: I just emailed my dude at Aruba to see if their solution is appreciably different. Now I'm curious cause I kinda want to be right on this one.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What happens if I wrap my phone in 7.2 layers of nickel foil? Asking for @SKR .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Goddammit.

EDIT: I just emailed my dude at Aruba to see if their solution is appreciably different. Now I'm curious cause I kinda want to be right on this one.
    Good luck. It'd be pretty big news if something that's technically impossible (accurate close contact tracing through wifi) is possible.

Really, I just like calling you out on your shit. Feels like I'm on a roll this month!

My Ride
    NC1

I'll fact check you on this one.

The WAP location services that's being rolled out is just for office managers to identify busy areas and alert admins on hot spots to take further action.
    Wap location services. Nice.

Running a biz during covid is such a fkn drag lol beyond annoyed right now
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Axis powers

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Wap location services. Nice.

Running a biz during covid is such a fkn drag lol beyond annoyed right now
    What’s your delivery radius?
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Back on topic, the school positive cases are interesting in that COVID was brought in by the staff before schools even opened. With all the complaints about working in unsafe conditions you’d think they would be more careful to avoid unnecessary contact outside of work. Would be interesting to see if and when there’s an outbreak at a school if it’s introduced by staff or students.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I doubt you would get an answer to that now that school is back in due to privacy
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How dare you insinuate that teachers could ever take imperfect actions. If anything this shows the need to pay teachers more for thier safety and as a measure of our gratitude for thier sacrifice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Good luck. It'd be pretty big news if something that's technically impossible (accurate close contact tracing through wifi) is possible.

Really, I just like calling you out on your shit. Feels like I'm on a roll this month!
    Is there another one that I'm not aware of?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I don't understand the whole closed borders, travel thing. So I see friends posting in the US, in Texas, Colorado, Montana. Driving around. People going to / from the US. Americans up here..... not just the 'border sneakers' going to Alaska.

So what is it? Is the land border closed but not the airport?

Back on topic, the school positive cases are interesting in that COVID was brought in by the staff before schools even opened. With all the complaints about working in unsafe conditions you’d think they would be more careful to avoid unnecessary contact outside of work. Would be interesting to see if and when there’s an outbreak at a school if it’s introduced by staff or students.
    ATA has strongly suggested that teachers all be tested to avoid this exact issue. My wife was tested on Monday.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post
    I don't understand the whole closed borders, travel thing. So I see friends posting in the US, in Texas, Colorado, Montana. Driving around. People going to / from the US. Americans up here..... not just the 'border sneakers' going to Alaska.

I think it's actually the other way around, the land border is "closed" but you can fly pretty much anywhere you want even though the government has advised against it. I haven't looked into it specifically but I suspect if you travel against a government advisory you may have problems with your health insurance should something happen.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Quote Originally Posted by The Cosworth View Post

ATA has strongly suggested that teachers all be tested to avoid this exact issue. My wife was tested on Monday.
    Anyone with dual citizenship or immediate family members in Canada can cross the border still. Anyone on a work visa can also. Canadians can also go down into the US because the US doesn't give a F and then obviously they can get home because they are Canadian.

Page 412 of 985 FirstFirst ... 402 411 412 413 422 ... LastLast