Quantcast
Waldorf Schools - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Waldorf Schools

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Default Waldorf Schools

We have a couple of friends who, since having kids, have become fully-committed to the Waldorf / Rudolf Steiner philosophy.

Anyone have experience with Waldorf? Is it a crazy anthroposophical cult or just an alternative educational philosophy with actual benefits for children?

Well recent past history shows that your kid may have to build up extra strong natural self defense mechanisms if attending that school, https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...564574?cmp=rss

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I will tell you my experience. My wife thought it might be a good idea for our son. We figured since we were both good at Science / Math that he would be too and needed a softer educational experience. We tried Montessori with him and a few other things.

I stood in line at 3am to get him into the one day a week pre-school. During the open house they had, someone asked if there were any “great” people to come out of Waldorf and also where graduates from the Calgary school go. Most were artists. The only business person I could remember that is a product of Waldorf is Jeff Bezos.

Anyway, my wife took my son as it was a parent and tot class once a week. They churn butter each day, knead dough. What I did appreciate were toys made of wood and the focus on natural interactions with things. I feel like our world is too plastic and hard.

I went once. I can’t say I liked it and told my wife that if this was the education she wanted for our son, then she had to take him. I didn’t want any part of it. What got me was when we had to pray to Mother Earth at the end... that was the end for me. I felt like a cult to me.

Needless to say, he ended up in the Springbank pre-school with a bunch of rich kids. I don’t know if that was any better really.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Didn't send my kids to one, but I think it sounds pretty good. Focus on independent inquiry, arts, crafts, and the natural world.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Well recent past history shows that your kid may have to build up extra strong natural self defense mechanisms if attending that school, https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...564574?cmp=rss
    Don't know about the kids but the parents at that school aren't very bright.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Don't know about the kids but the parents at that school aren't very bright.
    Yea I dont get that either - vaccines can cause issues in what, 0.01% of the population, but NOT getting vaccinated can cause issues in 99%?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I will say that many of the parents I saw wore Birkenstock’s with tie died clothing.