Quantcast
Sub $500 laptop? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sub $500 laptop?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you are getting current gen processor, and an ssd, and are under $500, don't overthink it.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Has wheels

@ExtraSlow that's become the focus now.

I don't want to over think it and then just not end up buying anything. Like in the android thread, I over thought which phone I wanted and ended up just not buying anything for the time being.

Saving money though right?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Alright, spent some time this morning doing a some more research.

Narrowed it down to 6! choices haha. Of course, all of the choices are above initial budget, staying in true Beyond fashion of course.

In no certain order:
    $699 - https://www.staples.ca/products/2961...indows-10-home

$649 - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...glish/14366140

$699 - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...ws-10/13978141

$699 - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/conten...l/NX.HNEAA.003

$749 - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/CA/conten...l/NX.HNEAA.005

The $649 option probably is the direction I'm leaning solely because it's the cheapest option of the group.

Anyone have any input for or against any of these, or have a better option that I may have missed? I would of liked to stay within my original budget of $500 but after searching and trying to make sure I get a current gen processor that was middle of the road and get a SSD, I think I have to be in this price range.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

SMH....overthinking again
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Processor gen not totally crucial. $599? https://www.thesource.ca/en-ca/compu...7101980a1c0e14

Whatever you choose, check it against shopbot and look for price matching through memory Express.

Shopbot is a bit of a pain for laptops because of all the different specs, but you can save some real money.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    SMH....overthinking again
    Haven't purchased a laptop or anything computer related in probably a decade. Trying to make the most informed choice I can. I don't always put this much though into purchases but this time I am haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Whatever you choose, check it against shopbot and look for price matching through memory Express.

Shopbot is a bit of a pain for laptops because of all the different specs, but you can save some real money.
    Didn't know about shopbot, I'll be sure to run options through there as well.

Just FYI the integrated GPUs in the current 10 series Intel are vastly better than the previous generations and almost in line with AMD's Vega integrated graphics. May not matter for your usage, but if you think you might ever play a game or use some photo editing software or something, look for something with a Ryzen CPU or 10th gen Intel.

And if you can wait slightly longer yet, the Ryzen 4000 mobile APUs have been announced and they look to be absolute beasts.

My Ride

If your this analytical, just wait till July. Amazon Prime Days and July 4th sales. So lots of laptops will be on sale.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Just ordered that HP Touch screen model that I posted earlier. Thanks for the input!

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hp-omen.../6000197261913

Pro:
    i7 (although 7700)
    GTX1050
    $599

Con:
    5.7lb
    2TB HDD

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hp-omen.../6000197261913

Pro:
    i7 (although 7700)
    GTX1050
    $599

Con:
    5.7lb
    2TB HDD
    Theres always going to be laptop envy, once you purchase and another better one goes on sale.....as with life

My Ride
    Has wheels

I haven't even unboxed the laptop yet, technically I could take it back

I did see that one Xtrema posted, but saw gen 7 i7, no SSD. Yes better screen and video card.

Like I said earlier, so disconnected in computer tech. Wouldn't the newer tech age better overall?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by bruceod View Post
    Like I said earlier, so disconnected in computer tech. Wouldn't the newer tech age better overall?
    Unless you are a content creator, a midrange laptop from 5 years ago are still fine compared to low end laptop of today.

There was never any reason to future proof. Just pick whatever that you can live with (price and function) and re-evaluate every few years.

I still have my OG Surface Pro I bought used from a Beyonder from like 6 years ago. It still does what I need it to do and still faster than Surface Go of today.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For my money, that beast that xtrema posted is not at all what you were looking for. Sure, it's "powerful", but it's not going to make your basic use any better. Spinning disk drive something I personally wouldn't even consider, for any reason, in any laptop. SSD is faster, quieter, uses less battery.

You bought a fine laptop. Open it, use it, be happy.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Unless you are a content creator, a midrange laptop from 5 years ago are still fine compared to low end laptop of today.

There was never any reason to future proof. Just pick whatever that you can live with (price and function) and re-evaluate every few years.

I still have my OG Surface Pro I bought used from a Beyonder from like 6 years ago. It still does what I need it to do and still faster than Surface Go of today.
    Basic use for the laptop, what I were using at home literally is 10 years old or very close to it. I'm sure what I purchased is more than adequate for my usage.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    For my money, that beast that xtrema posted is not at all what you were looking for. Sure, it's "powerful", but it's not going to make your basic use any better. Spinning disk drive something I personally wouldn't even consider, for any reason, in any laptop. SSD is faster, quieter, uses less battery.

You bought a fine laptop. Open it, use it, be happy.
    I get home from shift tonight, it'll be opened and used in the morning. I know I'll be plenty happy with what I bought. Especially since usage is so basic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2