Quantcast
Parents dropping their kids off at Webber Academy every morning. - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Parents dropping their kids off at Webber Academy every morning.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Partially true. No wait list to get on as a social member.. but all your $50k gets you is access to the coffee shop/restaurant and golf simulator. Then its another 3 years for the next level (I think house?) and then another 3-4 to be a full blown member.
    I have friends still on the waiting list.

Only way to bypass is if you have a family member who is already a member.

At least that is what I understand.

Elbow park is a flood zone, no thanks.

The word Baller is such a thug word, whenever I hear it I instantly think of gangster wannabes.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    Partially true. No wait list to get on as a social member.. but all your $50k gets you is access to the coffee shop/restaurant and golf simulator. Then its another 3 years for the next level (I think house?) and then another 3-4 to be a full blown member.
    Yea but the tiers have existed forever, the “waitlist” was there to get in to be a social member. Demand has definitely dried up a bit extra.

The 50k entry fee is also tiered, it’s $12.5k or something to join as a social member. And you pay more as you move through the tiers up to the full entry fee.

It’s all laid out on their website though none of this is secret. What isn’t advertised is how long you have to sit at each level. And that is HEAVILY weighted to who you are / who you know beyond the needing letters of recommendation from 2 existing members to get in as a social member.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-24-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post

The word Baller is such a thug word, whenever I hear it I instantly think of gangster wannabes.
    If you have the status to live on the river you don’t give a shit about flood zones... enough influence that insurance covered those homes

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    If you have the status to live on the river you don’t give a shit about flood zones... enough influence that insurance covered those homes
    That is the dumbest comment I have read on here, lol.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    What isn’t advertised is how long you have to sit at each level. And that is HEAVILY weighted to who you are / who you know beyond the needing letters of recommendation from 2 existing members to get in as a social member.
    Shit like this that just grosses me out. I know a few "old money" members there, but it's not my kind of place, not matter what my net worth is. No fucking thanks.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I like convenience

Elbow drive & Glenmore are nightmares during Rush hour.

Hopefully I can convince my Wife to stay on the West side.
    I like convenience and then you say you'd like 4 acres west of the city. Does not compute.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    This seems to be a trend at pretty much any school but I can see how Webber could be the worst. There are some mornings my wife can't get out of the alley to take the kid to daycare because idiot moms park across the entrance to the alley and get out to walk their kids to the school and wait with them. This happens frequently, like >2 times a week frequent.
    311 that shit, parking police will be by within a day or two. I call those disrespectful parkers in all the time in our community and it sure appears that those parking police really enjoy giving tickets out to all those entitled twats.

Hell, we've had entitled parents actually park in people's driveways and on their lawns in our hood. Fucking scum.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Shit like this that just grosses me out. I know a few "old money" members there, but it's not my kind of place, not matter what my net worth is. No fucking thanks.
    Same. I have no interest in those clubs. Family is at Glencoe, and I just don't get it. Also I hate golf, so there's that.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Off peak is 2 minute drive, why aren't they walking?

I find this particularly interesting because the local elementry, junior high and senior high schools my kids attended were all 2 minute drive away and all were less than a 10 minute walk away.
    My kid .. only 5 yr old ... lol
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    My kid .. only 5 yr old ... lol
    And you didn't detail that plus my mind reading skills are non-existent.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I like convenience and then you say you'd like 4 acres west of the city. Does not compute.
    In your mind.

My Ride
    Pipe

Yea but the tiers have existed forever, the “waitlist” was there to get in to be a social member. Demand has definitely dried up a bit extra.

The 50k entry fee is also tiered, it’s $12.5k or something to join as a social member. And you pay more as you move through the tiers up to the full entry fee.

It’s all laid out on their website though none of this is secret. What isn’t advertised is how long you have to sit at each level. And that is HEAVILY weighted to who you are / who you know beyond the needing letters of recommendation from 2 existing members to get in as a social member.
    Do you have anything beyond anecdote that backs up your suggestion that the entrance process is corrupt? Genuine question.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Money Hoes View Post
    Do you have anything beyond anecdote that backs up your suggestion that the entrance process is corrupt? Genuine question.
    It's not corrupt, that would imply they are doing something unethical. Clubs like this are basically designed to be closed cliques of "the right kind of people". That's the whole premise.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

In your mind.
    Well then expand on what conveniences 3-4 acres west of the city would be getting you that would be better than where you are currently residing or the Britannia area where your wife would like to be?

Enlighten us all because one of my brothers lives on 3-4 acres not too far outside of the city and they have to spend extra time driving to do anything. They also spend a lot more time maintaining their property then they initially expected, trees needs watering, driveways need plowing. Now they are okay with all of this because they've been there for around 20 years now but initially it was quite a big eye opener for them after moving from a home in Canyon Meadows that had almost everything within a 10 minute drive.
    Last edited by speedog; 01-25-2020 at 10:13 AM.

My Ride
    Pipe

Your posts in this thread all sound the same. Sort of like the the guy wearing a ford mustang hat and jacket at the Porsche meet telling anyone that will listen how sweet the Mustang GT is, quoting stats from Motor Trend and ragging on the 911 for its lack of power and tiny rear seats.

I guess if you can't afford it, you can't appreciate it.

My Ride
    Pipe

It's not corrupt, that would imply they are doing something unethical. Clubs like this are basically designed to be closed cliques of "the right kind of people". That's the whole premise.
    If evidence came out that this club or any other organization was admitting only individuals who met a certain social profile while not publicly defining these entrance requirements, they would be vilified and justifiably be called all sorts things, including corrupt and unethical.

Here is a great example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_c...ribery_scandal
    This scandal parallels your logic above and by every definition is corrupt and unethical.

rereading your post, maybe I missed the sarcasm. If I did ignore my response.
    Last edited by Cash Money Hoes; 01-25-2020 at 10:25 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

https://glencoe.org/documents/10184/...n+Brochure.pdf

Requirement 1 of joining is letters of recommendation from multiple members, who you know is defined as important from step one. From there movement through the tiers is entirely arbitrary and decided by a board based on “ a number of different factors “. FWIW I’m not criticizing anything here, so no need to be defensive, just outlining how it is from the documentation presented directly by them in writing and coloured by what friends in the club have mentioned is the process as well as some preliminary discussions I have had with their membership staff.

As ExtraSlow said this is all by design, it’s the whole point of a private social club. Joining the Glencoe isn’t a meritocracy, it’s a social club curated to a certain kind of person and what they want the social experience at the club to be like. The whole thing falls apart if they start admitting members the current membership doesn’t like, the whole tier system is an extensive interview to join the club.

I don’t think this is nessecarily a bad thing either, nor is it corrupt, end of the day it’s a private club offering an experience their members want and are willing to pay for. Calling the entrance process corrupt, corruption implies inherent dishonesty, nothing about the Glencoe nor its goals are dishonest.

Some people like it some people don’t. Even within this thread there are tons of people who love the club, hate the club, are curious about the club and want to join, and would never consider joining. Nothing wrong with that.

Does that answer your question?
    Last edited by killramos; 01-25-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Your posts in this thread all sound the same. Sort of like the the guy wearing a ford mustang hat and jacket at the Porsche meet telling anyone that will listen how sweet the Mustang GT is, quoting stats from Motor Trend and ragging on the 911 for its lack of power and tiny rear seats.

I guess if you can't afford it, you can't appreciate it.

You sound like a troll

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Well then expand on what conveniences 3-4 acres west of the city would be getting you that would be better than where you are currently residing or the Britannia area where your wife would like to be?

Enlighten us all because one of my brothers lives on 3-4 acres not too far outside of the city and they have to spend extra time driving to do anything. They also spend a lot more time maintaining their property then they initially expected, trees needs watering, driveways need plowing. Now they are okay with all of this because they've been there for around 20 years now but initially it was quite a big eye opener for them after moving from a home in Canyon Meadows that had almost everything within a 10 minute drive.

My 4 acres would be raw land with a small yard, and natural growth with lots of trees.

Would be a 2500sqft home and a 4 car garage and a workshop.

Ideally about an 8 minute drive from my current location.

I prefer privacy, I don’t want to see my Neighbor.

That’s my end goal.

My 4 acres would be raw land with a small yard, and natural growth with lots of trees.

Would be a 2500sqft home and a 4 car garage and a workshop.

Ideally about an 8 minute drive from my current location.

I prefer privacy, I don’t want to see my Neighbor.

That’s my end goal.
    You're still not listing the conveniences you'd be gaining over your current situation unless a larger home is somehow more convenient. Not being able to see your neighbor isn't really a convenience, having to now plow your own driveway really isn't a convenience. You'd probably have to drill for water and then ensure said water is continuously safe and also have a septic system, not all that convenient either.

Don't get me wrong here, there are people who quite like acreage/rural life - tirebob is one of them. But there are trade offs and conveniences will be one of them - not seeing your neighbor and having a larger home are not conveniences, they are lifestyle choices. Your kids being able or walk to school versus them being drive is a convenience.

Being able to walk 5 minutes to a pub/restaurant versus drive for 15-20 minutes or longer is a convenience. Being able to drive 5 minutes to the nearest grocery/hardware store versus 15-20 minutes or longer is a convenience. Convenience is about saving time and money and acreages/rural life will only do that if you're willing to become somewhat of a self reliant recluse. Oh, and don't fool yourself by saying Home Depot is on the way home - if you're at home and need something at Home Depot then it is all of a sudden not on the way home which is inconvenient.

You almost sound like my one aunt who lives on an acreage by herself, doesn't want to know or see any of her neighbor's, finds fault with everything in the world today, is generally just an angry person. She is not fun to be around and then gets upset because people do not want to be around her or help her out in her times of need. Now I suppose she has what she believes to be her little slice of heaven on earth but i jsut can not imagine going through life being so angry at the world and being so reclusive.
    Last edited by speedog; 01-25-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast