Quantcast
thoughts on Havana, Cuba? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on Havana, Cuba?

My Ride
    rally pig

Default thoughts on Havana, Cuba?

We are planning on going to Cuba in April, Varadero side.
    Wondering if it would be worthwhile staying in Havana for a couple of nights or should we just stay in Varadero and schedule a day tour?

If we do end up staying in Havana, what would be the easiest way to get there from the Varadero airport?
    Good spots to visit or stay by?

My Ride
    This and that.

Definitely worth a visit for sure. I loved it there. Beautiful place with a lot of history and great culture. Can't help with how to get there, if I recall, we booked a bus tour from our resort in Varadero. Even if not staying, I would definitely recommend visiting.

My Ride
    rally pig

good to hear, which side of Havana did you visit and did you just do a day tour then?

I was checking the Havana malecon side on google map last night and looked a little underwhelming. also doesnt look like there's that many hotels in the area, mostly apartments.
    We are thinking 2-3 nights in Havana and 4-5 nights in Varadero.

My Ride
    This and that.

We were mostly in Havana downtown (I think - don't quite remember what the area was exactly called), by the ocean side and all those historical places. As it was a part of the tour they took us to all the pertinent spots. I remember the massive Che Guevara on the wall area and then they took us through some of the important streets etc. It was fun. Definitely worth exploring if you're in Cuba. We just did a day trip but if staying in downtown (where that art is) I am sure you could spend 2-3 days easily.

Bring some ear plugs

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by shakalaka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were mostly in Havana downtown (I think - don't quite remember what the area was exactly called), by the ocean side and all those historical places. As it was a part of the tour they took us to all the pertinent spots. I remember the massive Che Guevara on the wall area and then they took us through some of the important streets etc. It was fun. Definitely worth exploring if you're in Cuba. We just did a day trip but if staying in downtown (where that art is) I am sure you could spend 2-3 days easily.
    cool, thanks! strongly considering staying there for a couple of nights then!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Bring some ear plugs
    why is that? does it get loud and rowdy at night?

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    why is that? does it get loud and rowdy at night?
    https://www.newscientist.com/article...cuba-was-real/

My Ride
    rally pig

oh right, I remember that now. hopefully they are not targeting canadians lol

This is just purely what ive heard from anyone thats been to Cuba but every single person i know thats been has said the food is horrible
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

last time in varadero we rented a private vehicle and did a day trip to Havana. If you take a tour your really stuck waiting for everyone else. Private tour will run roughly the same cost as the big groups but you get to stop at more places and see more of the city.

It's also good when you stop at any shops. You can get in and out quickly. We stopped and loaded up with cigars, stopped for lunch and just wandered a lot of different areas.

I sent my mother in law and father in law to Cuba last week. They planned to spend a day or two in Havana so I'll let you know if they found any awesome restaraunts or things to check out.
    Last edited by gwill; 01-24-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    This is just purely what ive heard from anyone thats been to Cuba but every single person i know thats been has said the food is horrible
    if you've never been why provide any input? Cuba is what you make of it. I've been 3 times. The wife has been 5 or 6. Not once have we had issues with food.

At worst after a week or two resorts can get a bit boring for selection but why limit yourself to staying on the resort. Explore the restaraunts in the city for options if your that concerned.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Correct

Almost all central american food is dog shit. Beans, rice, tortillas. That's basically your meal

Havana for a day then a day ripping mopeds around varadero. Thats the way to go.

My Ride
    This and that.

I personally also did not like the food there at all. I am also super picky in general though.

My Ride
    rally pig

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    last time in varadero we rented a private vehicle and did a day trip to Havana. If you take a tour your really stuck waiting for everyone else. Private tour will run roughly the same cost as the big groups but you get to stop at more places and see more of the city.

It's also good when you stop at any shops. You can get in and out quickly. We stopped and loaded up with cigars, stopped for lunch and just wandered a lot of different areas.

I sent my mother in law and father in law to Cuba last week. They planned to spend a day or two in Havana so I'll let you know if they found any awesome restaraunts or things to check out.
    sweet, let me know how was their experience in Havana.

I'm seriously leaning on spending the first 3 nights in Havana now, just need to figure how to get there from the Varadero airport.
    From what I've read it is a 80-100$ taxi ride to Havana.
    Not that many hotel selections either, it's basically a 1 bedroom apartment for under 60$ or a hotel for 200-300$/night.
    If hotels offers transportation from the airport, it might not be a bad option though.
    I am looking to stay in the downtown/chinatown/malecon area.

Regarding food, I've read from others too that food is not great or rather taste bland, probably during the communist period they werent getting much spices?
    Doesn't bother me much.. I doubt it will be any worse than british cuisine

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    if you've never been why provide any input? Cuba is what you make of it. I've been 3 times. The wife has been 5 or 6. Not once have we had issues with food.

At worst after a week or two resorts can get a bit boring for selection but why limit yourself to staying on the resort. Explore the restaraunts in the city for options if your that concerned.
    My apologies if Ive upset you in anyway but ive talked to many people who have been there and everyone has said the food was horrible and it looks like other members have had the same experience too... This is also beyond, if members were only allowed to post if they had first hand experience there wouldn't be much going on and Mitsu3000gt would be a nobody
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

I've been to Cuba twice and food was not an issue either time - IMO it's the same as most other Caribbean destinations I've been too (Jamaica, Dominican, Grenada, etc.). There was a hell of a lot more food than beans, rice and tortillas. The only resort I've ever been to that had what I would consider true restaurant quality food though is Sandals. Food is very subjective though and I am not a very picky eater. You are getting standard buffet food for the most part still.

I think part of the problem was before US trade was re-opened, they sourced things like condiments from non-North American sources and we just aren't used to the taste (I recall the Ketchup in particular tasting very different than I was used to). I haven't been since trade has been relaxed, but I imagine it's better.

I'm not sure what type of food people expect at an all inclusive resort but you get what you pay for at most places. Cuba all inclusive food is probably the worst out of all the all inclusive countries but if you are visiting Havana and Varadero there is good food to be had at the restaurants. You just have to be willing to pay.

My Ride
    rally pig

how are the restaurant prices in Havana or Varadero?
    North America pricing or 3rd world pricing?

Don't care for fancy dinners though, we like to explore and try local cuisine.

My Ride
    Bicycle

That's what I heard but I only sample Cuban food in Miami and I thought they are just ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast