Quantcast
thoughts on Havana, Cuba? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: thoughts on Havana, Cuba?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

When we went like 5 years back, we just arranged for a private tour right at the hotel, I think it was with WestJet vacations. You could do the bus with a bunch of people for I think like $20-30 or a private car with guide for $120 or so. We were even given a choice if we wanted a modern car or old school, and when in Cuba, you got to do the old school! Was totally worth it. We just did a day trip and I think that was pretty much enough, but I am sure more can be found if you stay around. We got a full day with lunch in a backyard restaurant (apparently illegal in the commie days, but was very cool, pay separately) and got to hit up pretty much all the cool places, with walking around downtown, forts and such. One day you will get to see probably 70% of things, in two you could probably see most everything touristy at least. You can look up cool things ahead of time and tell your guide you want to see them, and they will make sure to get them in. Most of the time we basically got out while taxi parked somewhere, then got back into taxi and off to next spot, except for the general walk downtown for a while.

As for food, I didn't find it all that bad, but I stayed at a "5" star hotel at the time and it was rather pricey, as I heard most cheaper hotels are crap and full of eastern Europeans just loading up on free booze.

Man I would love to have one of these classics. Some are pretty beat up and just lipstick, but saw some super nicely restored cars as well.

Quote Originally Posted by taemo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sweet, let me know how was their experience in Havana.

I'm seriously leaning on spending the first 3 nights in Havana now, just need to figure how to get there from the Varadero airport.
    From what I've read it is a 80-100$ taxi ride to Havana.
    Not that many hotel selections either, it's basically a 1 bedroom apartment for under 60$ or a hotel for 200-300$/night.
    If hotels offers transportation from the airport, it might not be a bad option though.
    I am looking to stay in the downtown/chinatown/malecon area.

Regarding food, I've read from others too that food is not great or rather taste bland, probably during the communist period they werent getting much spices?
    Doesn't bother me much.. I doubt it will be any worse than british cuisine
    I was going to book havana for an entire week for my mother/father in law and looked into it quite a bit. Theres more then enough there to keep you busy for a few days. I wouldnt hesitate to spend a few days in havana followed by a few days at an all inclusive. The private day trip we did still felt rushed even though we got to go wherever.

Some of the air bnbs in veradero right on the beach look pretty sweet as well. Never looked at havana options tho!

I'll shoot you a pm when the families back and tells me how havana went.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only resort I've ever been to that had what I would consider true restaurant quality food though is Sandals.
    the sandals in st Lucia I went to was definitely the best for food/drinks out of all the places I've been. I think peoples expectations are unrealistic. You go to cuba for a cheap all inclusive that's affordable with awesome beaches.

If your main concern is food go and pay double or triple for another resort elsewhere.

My Ride
    ute

I hated Cuba and would never go back.

My Ride
    *The First*

Looks amazing and I've heard some of the top beaches on earth!
    Please, please ensure you being back as money boxes (one or person potentially even including children) of cigars as possible. Talk to your friends. Any good friend interested will front you money to bring back cigars.
    It's roughly $5/stick compared to about $20 here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2