Quantcast
2020 US Election mega thread - Page 134 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 134 of 146 FirstFirst ... 124 133 134 135 144 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 2903

Thread: 2020 US Election mega thread

  1. #2661
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Fiesta ST
    Posts
    967
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'd think with massive data breaches happening every year, people would be more careful with who they give it to. You would think.
    From a webdev perspective its rather interesting. Do you go with a tried and tested platform that already has a lot of protection against known vulnerabilities but you run the risk of being the target of a large attack/exploit (RE: Solarwinds) or do you focus on trying to make a custom platform so that you have security through obscurity but at the trade off of really having to rely on your infrastructure team covering all their bases.
    Nolan

  2. #2662
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,513
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You'd think with massive data breaches happening every year, people would be more careful with who they give it to. You would think.
    But for the sick memes tho.

    That last minute archive project is cool but I doubt anything pulled will stand up in court as evidence. So law enforcement may stay away from it.

    Who knew that the quick downfall of Parler actually may have helped these "Patriots".
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-11-2021 at 11:35 AM.

  3. #2663
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,862
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes they followed the constitution to a T for certifying fraudulently gained electoral college votes. That was not the issue. Again, real big difference between being dismissed for no evidence, and just being dismissed without viewing the evidence. That really shows you how messed up things are, when a judge can just say "I don't like you, get out of my court"
    Not sure if you know how the judicial system works, but merely claiming something (a signed affidavit) is NOT evidence. If this italian guy changed votes from Biden to Trump out of Italy (L-oh-fucking-L to this claim to begin with even), then he needs to provide more than a signed affidavit.

    It's just the way the world works and rightly so. Just imagine a world where courts started accepting anything people simply just say happened as evidence. I'm sure you're smart enough to figure out why that is not realistic.

  4. #2664
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,092
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So parler is officially down, but not before hackers did their thing. If the following is all true, this is probably one of the funniest things to come of all this and should make it way easier to arrest and prosecute.
    Attachment 96750
    Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not saying thats fake but I highly doubt you can just do a API push and make an administration account without needing credentials. Then again some IT people are pretty stupid but that's a pretty massive flaw in a site design. I do hope it's kinda true though just to see the chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It kind of makes sense if they coded a hard dependency on twilio’s service without any exception handling if the service was down. Basically just took over an admin account and then created more, which all had access to the data apis.

    I haven’t done web development since 4th year uni so I have no idea how feasible this is but we will find out soon enough either way. I’ve already seen a few alleged links to the data dumps but haven’t clicked or looked into any yet.
    It's not really a hack. It's just stupid design. Basically, original assets along with metadata (including GPS wtf lol) are stored and available publicly with zero permission checks. When you delete something, it simply marks it as deleted without actually getting deleted. UI won't show it, but the endpoint for pulling the asset still does. The reference is also sequential. So they're basically going through an endpoint to pull the assets out by brute forcing the reference ID, collecting absolutely everything that's ever been posted, deleted or not.

    The user info endpoint is the same, you can build out the entire user database, including what permissions the user has. Tied to the metadata in the assets, you can now rebuild a user's entire Parler history, deleted or not.

    This shit is #1 poor design, and #2 caught in any competent code review. Clearly there was nobody competent working there.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  5. #2665
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,862
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not really a hack. It's just stupid design. Basically, original assets along with metadata (including GPS wtf lol) are stored and available publicly with zero permission checks. When you delete something, it simply marks it as deleted without actually getting deleted. UI won't show it, but the endpoint for pulling the asset still does. The reference is also sequential. So they're basically going through an endpoint to pull the assets out by brute forcing the reference ID, collecting absolutely everything that's ever been posted, deleted or not.

    The user info endpoint is the same, you can build out the entire user database, including what permissions the user has. Tied to the metadata in the assets, you can now rebuild a user's entire Parler history, deleted or not.

    This shit is #1 poor design, and #2 caught in any competent code review. Clearly there was nobody competent working there.
    Interesting...guess that whole spiel about taking over admin accounts was bullshit. Don't even need to be a hacker when the app is designed this bad...just need to know how ot use scripts to scrape data off publicly accessible servers.

    They say the left can't meme, but looks like the right can't code

  6. #2666
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just be prepared for the unintended consequences if you are going to make it a competition between genders and races.
    I know you see the term ‘white man’s privilege’ and see it as a personal attack rather than a concept. But it is a white man’s privilege to pretend like it hasn’t always been a competition.

    It’s easy to think it hasn’t been when the rules were never rigged against you. Which was the problem. Now you’re upset not because somethings been taken away from you but because somebody else might have something given to them. It’s the mentality of a selfish child.

  7. #2667
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    DT 780
    My Ride
    LEXUS LX470
    Posts
    952
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know you see the term ‘white man’s privilege’ and see it as a personal attack rather than a concept. But it is a white man’s privilege to pretend like it hasn’t always been a competition.

    It’s easy to think it hasn’t been when the rules were never rigged against you. Which was the problem. Now you’re upset not because somethings been taken away from you but because somebody else might have something given to them. It’s the mentality of a selfish child.
    Sounds like you think the best way to repair racial and sex inequalities is by implementing racist and sexist policies?
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

  8. #2668
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Calgmonton/AB
    Posts
    1,296
    Rep Power
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know you see the term ‘white man’s privilege’ and see it as a personal attack rather than a concept. But it is a white man’s privilege to pretend like it hasn’t always been a competition.

    It’s easy to think it hasn’t been when the rules were never rigged against you. Which was the problem. Now you’re upset not because somethings been taken away from you but because somebody else might have something given to them. It’s the mentality of a selfish child.
    Your Soviet keyboard is making for betrayals, Comrade.

  9. #2669
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    GLA
    Posts
    2,499
    Rep Power
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know you see the term ‘white man’s privilege’ and see it as a personal attack rather than a concept. But it is a white man’s privilege to pretend like it hasn’t always been a competition.

    It’s easy to think it hasn’t been when the rules were never rigged against you. Which was the problem. Now you’re upset not because somethings been taken away from you but because somebody else might have something given to them. It’s the mentality of a selfish child.
    Your racist bona fides are well established here already, including your preference for segregation in the case of FN.

  10. #2670
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like you think the best way to repair racial and sex inequalities is by implementing racist and sexist policies?
    If you insist.

  11. #2671
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,063
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    The left wokies have always had a real real hard time understanding that racism with the best intentions is still racism.

    Just like it was a few hundred years ago. The left wokies are just the modern slavers trying to solve the “African Problem”.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  12. #2672
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your racist bona fides are well established here already, including your preference for segregation in the case of FN.
    I guess anyone can be racist when you just make up positions for them.

  13. #2673
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,862
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Who knew righties were such snowflakes?

  14. #2674
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2006 Nissan Titan
    Posts
    191
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It’s easy to think it hasn’t been when the rules were never rigged against you. Which was the problem. Now you’re upset not because somethings been taken away from you but because somebody else might have something given to them. It’s the mentality of a selfish child.
    What race or gender are you referencing here? Because....?

  15. #2675
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    86 Mustang GT, 02 Impreza, 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Posts
    3,018
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who knew righties were such snowflakes?
    Well thats what he gets for attention whoring shirtless with all those (extremely identifiable) tattoos
    86 Mustang / [email protected] / 360whp 420ftlbs
    02 Impreza / [email protected] / 240whp 270ftlbs

  16. #2676
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,014
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nobody can play the victim quite like a white man seeing others getting things he’s always had.


    Get over the misplaced guilt buddy, have some self-respect.

    Where would you say you rank on this? I saw it being unironically shared all over twitter.


  17. #2677
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,014
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not really a hack. It's just stupid design. Basically, original assets along with metadata (including GPS wtf lol) are stored and available publicly with zero permission checks. When you delete something, it simply marks it as deleted without actually getting deleted. UI won't show it, but the endpoint for pulling the asset still does. The reference is also sequential. So they're basically going through an endpoint to pull the assets out by brute forcing the reference ID, collecting absolutely everything that's ever been posted, deleted or not.

    The user info endpoint is the same, you can build out the entire user database, including what permissions the user has. Tied to the metadata in the assets, you can now rebuild a user's entire Parler history, deleted or not.

    This shit is #1 poor design, and #2 caught in any competent code review. Clearly there was nobody competent working there.
    This is more common than you think. Even at big tech companies with a lot of competent people. Also, hypergrowth startups with like a dozen engineers are under insane workloads just to keep the lights on. Remember how often twitter went down with the fail whale, and they had way more resources. They're still well below the size at which most startups hire their first security engineer. A lot of the time, once companies start to hit around the series B mark, investors will start demanding outside security assessments, because at that point there is actually something to lose. In the beginning, it's all hands on deck just to grow and prove that you're viable.

    Parler is headquartered in Henderson Nevada, which also doesn't have much tech talent. On top of that, you'll basically never work in tech again if you have that on your resume. All of my friends at the major companies are just salivating over this. Big tech is absolutely infested with woke activists with these hero complexes and delusions that they're saving victims from their oppressors. Combine that with Trump Derangement Syndrome, and the prevailing sentiment right now is that Parler was essentially just terrorist neonazis full of hate, and they're already talking about going through the dumps to make sure they haven't accidentally let someone like that slip through the hiring pipeline. So combine all that and remember twitter wasn't profitable for like 10 years, they bled billions of dollars in losses, had tons of investors pumping multiple rounds into it. So I definitely have some sympathy for them.

    I had a Parler account, just to see what was going on over there. Didn't post or anything, followed a handful of people, mostly some citizen journalist types who post riot footage. A lot of what's happening in Seattle and Portland isn't covered anywhere else. Honestly it was nothing close to what it's being made out to be. I suspect you can find the same messages buried on twitter or fb or any platform, if nobody reports them, they can stay up a long time. Parler is a handful of people, no way in hell they can read everything. I can't really guess what percentage of the users were nutjobs, but I can say there are a lot of conservative leaning pundits on there, even tame ones like Megyn Kelly, and lots of people just used it to follow folks like that and would never be exposed to whatever is being alleged. There is a misconception that it was completely uncensored/unmoderated, but it wasn't like 4chan, there were rules. It was basically built for adult conversation, not kids trolling. Incitement and porn and all the usual stuff is still banned there.

    Funny thing is I knew for certain they'd get hacked at some point in the near future, because of how startups do security coupled with them being so hated, so I used a throwaway bogus email to sign up, so when the dumps came out, my details wouldn't show up in the witch hunt.

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They say the left can't meme, but looks like the right can't code
    Basically true. You'll almost never find a right leaning person in west coast tech companies (so basically all of them). The few that are there just STFU because cancel culture and ostracization is not only real, it's rewarded. I'm not even conservative and I've felt the brunt of not towing the line a time or two. We all saw what happened to James Damore at Google.

    This is why conservatives are in real trouble. If all of the service providers are going to play politics, and they don't want to regulate private companies, the deck is stacked way against them surviving this dumb culture war.

  18. #2678
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,063
    Rep Power
    44

    Default

    The big irony is that it is becoming clear that monetized social media and advertising models are basically the next tobacco in terms of societal damage and consumer sentiment.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  19. #2679
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    calgary, alberta, canada
    My Ride
    Lezbox
    Posts
    5,516
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Great podcast with Eric Weinstein

    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

  20. #2680
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Get over the misplaced guilt buddy, have some self-respect.

    Where would you say you rank on this? I saw it being unironically shared all over twitter.
    Which one do you think 'having more equitable access to debt to build capital isn't really something that bothers me at all and if it helps correct some institutionalized inequality in the system without taking anything away from anybody it's definitely not worth complaining about' fits in best?

    I ask only because the obvious option of 'White Genocide' isn't available so I'm a little lost.

Page 134 of 146 FirstFirst ... 124 133 134 135 144 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. OFFICIAL: 2020 Weather and Road Conditions MEGA THREAD

    By ExtraSlow in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 1276
    Latest Threads: 12-30-2020, 11:16 AM
  2. OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NHL Thread

    By asp integra in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 497
    Latest Threads: 09-29-2020, 03:46 PM
  3. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2019-2020 Edition

    By D'z Nutz in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 588
    Latest Threads: 09-14-2020, 10:48 AM
  4. LF: Mega Man ZX & Mega Man ZX Advent for DS

    By Despair* in forum Video Games / Consoles
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •