Quantcast
2020 US Election mega thread - Page 136 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 136 of 146 FirstFirst ... 126 135 136 137 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 2903

Thread: 2020 US Election mega thread

  1. #2701
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,014
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your company would have to be pretty messed up to hire based on ideology.

    Could you imagine if every company was run like the CBE or AHS?
    It's not so much the company as much as the individuals, usually. This kind of thing is not done at an official level. It tends to be done by ideologues and activists. So for example, a typical interview loop is 5 different engineers. If any one of them happen to be the woke activist type, they'll look you up and any social media that they find will bias them. The zealots would do a search if it was easy enough or if they hated the right enough. So when they vote you a "No Hire" and make a point of only highlighting the bad parts of the interview, or misrepresent how the interview went, nothing will actually say "had a Parler account" for example. They might say something like extremist social media activity though.

    In this case I could see some companies doing it even officially. AWS even cut them off. Now, all that any other company has to do is say yeah, that's a known extremist site, that's why AWS and Apple and Google killed them. They can either do that out of naivete/ignorance, or intentional dishonesty with plausible deniability.

    When people complain about big tech censorship/bias, I think there is a perception that this is done from the top. While sometimes it is, a majority of it comes from the bottom. If employees can't make the decisions themselves, they organize internal protests and put pressure on upper management. And occasionally an activist rises enough in the management chain that this makes them easy to convince.

  2. #2702
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,560
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Ban hammer coming to AirBnb

    https://www.engadget.com/airbnb-us-c...204308184.html

    anytime it has been able to confirm someone’s involvement in the riot, either through the media or law enforcement, it has investigated whether they have an account on Airbnb and then banned them.
    This shitshow is now worthy of a Black Mirror episode.

  3. #2703
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    calgary, alberta, canada
    My Ride
    Lezbox
    Posts
    5,522
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not so much the company as much as the individuals, usually. This kind of thing is not done at an official level. It tends to be done by ideologues and activists. So for example, a typical interview loop is 5 different engineers. If any one of them happen to be the woke activist type, they'll look you up and any social media that they find will bias them. The zealots would do a search if it was easy enough or if they hated the right enough. So when they vote you a "No Hire" and make a point of only highlighting the bad parts of the interview, or misrepresent how the interview went, nothing will actually say "had a Parler account" for example. They might say something like extremist social media activity though.

    In this case I could see some companies doing it even officially. AWS even cut them off. Now, all that any other company has to do is say yeah, that's a known extremist site, that's why AWS and Apple and Google killed them. They can either do that out of naivete/ignorance, or intentional dishonesty with plausible deniability.

    When people complain about big tech censorship/bias, I think there is a perception that this is done from the top. While sometimes it is, a majority of it comes from the bottom. If employees can't make the decisions themselves, they organize internal protests and put pressure on upper management. And occasionally an activist rises enough in the management chain that this makes them easy to convince.
    The joe rogan twitter / Tim pool episode actually did a good job highlighting this phenomenon, jack doresey highlighted that he wanted 2 twitters, one sensors and one uncensored, but it was highly unlikely employees or the board would go for it. The head of the legal department on with jack was a huge Hillary supporter, I suspect you would be hard pressed to find a republican at any equivalent level in Twitter or most other Silicon Valley companies.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ban hammer coming to AirBnb

    https://www.engadget.com/airbnb-us-c...204308184.html



    This shitshow is now worthy of a Black Mirror episode.
    There seems to be a push to delete maga folks from the online world permanently, parallel economies are not a good thing, but I don’t see anyone with any power making a case to stop it from happening. If people are pushed to the edges of society and not allowed to participate, it generally doesn’t end well. See incels.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

  4. #2704
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    2,619
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Companies like Google, Apple, and Amazon should be able to hire and fire their employees and their customers as they see fit. AirBNB should be able to do the same.

  5. #2705
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,014
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Companies like Google, Apple, and Amazon should be able to hire and fire their employees and their customers as they see fit. AirBNB should be able to do the same.
    What about Telus, Bell, and Rogers? What about ISPs?

  6. #2706
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    GLC43
    Posts
    8,560
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about Telus, Bell, and Rogers? What about ISPs?
    I think Buster try to say is the owner of the infrastructure can do what they want with it. If you want true freedom of speech, built you own uplink to the Internet. Is that how the TPB still operating after years of lawsuit by US gov?

    I believe there is a clause in the contract that ISP withhold the right to change the TOS any way they see fit and it's your right to cancel the service if you don't agree.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-12-2021 at 07:37 PM.

  7. #2707
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    2,619
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by googe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about Telus, Bell, and Rogers? What about ISPs?
    What about them?

  8. #2708
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,062
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who knew righties were such snowflakes?
    Snowflake 1, someone else 0.

    Screenshot_20210112-184949.jpg
    Let's all work on positivity this week.

  9. #2709
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    113
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    That's fucking hilarious. In before other prisoners complain they have a strict diet of Wagyu and caviar.

  10. #2710
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,189
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Anyone see this? I am no lover of Trump but the hypocrisy is thick with this one... Haha!

    6354D883-91BC-4F12-BAE9-DDF6811BB9B4.jpg
    Bob Blakeborough

  11. #2711
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,428
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    Hey those politicians in Uganda are all upstanding citizens compared to DONALD TRUMP
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  12. #2712
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Duplex
    My Ride
    Ignore List
    Posts
    9,062
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    I thought Facebook was an isp in Africa. Wasn't that a thing?
    Let's all work on positivity this week.

  13. #2713
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,428
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Facebook was an isp in Africa. Wasn't that a thing?
    They realized that generating ad revenue is tough in places where people don’t buy things.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  14. #2714
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2013 Q5
    Posts
    1,888
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I didn’t know Twitter came out with a public statement in support of blocking parler?

  15. #2715
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    2,619
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone see this? I am no lover of Trump but the hypocrisy is thick with this one... Haha!

    6354D883-91BC-4F12-BAE9-DDF6811BB9B4.jpg
    that has to be a fake.

  16. #2716
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    Blue Dabadee
    Posts
    6,428
    Rep Power
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that has to be a fake.
    It’s not
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  17. #2717
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,189
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that has to be a fake.
    I thought so too then went on Twitter... That straight up is a screenshot from my own phone and account. Mind blowing!
    Bob Blakeborough

  18. #2718
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    92 735il, 02 Impreza, 93 Grand Cherokee
    Posts
    3,023
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    How bout this gem from 2015
    FB_IMG_1610476827214.jpg

  19. #2719
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    ute
    Posts
    2,619
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    2015 wsa a long time ago.

  20. #2720
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,014
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about them?
    Should they be able to say who can and can't use their services to express unfashionable opinions as well? If you say "stop the steal", or "there is no evidence that COVID started in the wet market", or "chemicals in the water are turning frogs gay" on your cell phone, is it fine to ban you from service?

Page 136 of 146 FirstFirst ... 126 135 136 137 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. OFFICIAL: 2020 Weather and Road Conditions MEGA THREAD

    By ExtraSlow in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 1276
    Latest Threads: 12-30-2020, 11:16 AM
  2. OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NHL Thread

    By asp integra in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 497
    Latest Threads: 09-29-2020, 03:46 PM
  3. Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2019-2020 Edition

    By D'z Nutz in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 588
    Latest Threads: 09-14-2020, 10:48 AM
  4. LF: Mega Man ZX & Mega Man ZX Advent for DS

    By Despair* in forum Video Games / Consoles
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 06-04-2010, 03:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •