View Poll Results: Schooling - private or public

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Private

22 26.83%
  • Public

60 73.17%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Schooling megathread - private or public?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Others might say, that between 40-60% of the students at Catholic Schools, are not Catholic.
    How does one join a catholic school without being catholic and not get caught?
    Asking for SKR...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Asking for SKR...
    You are unfortunately going to have to let a priest do some unfortunate things to you.

That or, you know, Catholicism isn’t exactly the Glencoe club...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Any value in this site?

https://www.compareschoolrankings.org/

Apparently I live close to a high performing public school. Should I still be avoiding at all costs? ~$8k for masters doesn't seem too out of reach, but still a big chunk of cash.
    Yes, there is value. What I am saying is that it isn't the be all and end all. Many Asians look at that list, find the highest number and beg, borrow and steal to get their kid in that school. Don't be Asian. lol

I'm not saying a school with a high number is bad, I'm stating that not all school with high rankings should be looked at equally.

Case in point: Olympic heights used to be one of the highest ranked schools in the city. Anyone in Aspen east of 85th was designated there. Roberta Bondar opened, all those family's younger siblings went to Roberta Bondar and Olympic heights dropped hard.

Did the teaching change there? Or was it the type of student?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Highly rated schools and private schools also self-select for a certain type of family that has historically had high performing students. the same high performing student might do just as well at any shitty local school.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Asking for SKR...
    You don't need to hide it, they don't deny people based on religion, but they will take a Catholic kid before a non-Catholic.

The Catholic school nearest me is well known to be the place the little shitheads have to go to after they get kicked out of the other 3 around me.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Highly rated schools and private schools also self-select for a certain type of family that has historically had high performing students. the same high performing student might do just as well at any shitty local school.
    There is something to be said about the benefits of merely surrounding your kid with those kinds of people.

I’d rather my kid spend their waking hours around, at least speculatively, more driven people than a bunch of skids.

Amazing even the benefits that come from a school not having to accommodate lower common denominators. For example, they no longer segregate kids who can’t speak English into dedicated streams, you just have a teacher who is spending huge amounts of their time basically teaching English to a small % of students rather than actually teaching any content.

Basically any desire to want a better education for your kids comes off as hilariously elitist, but fuck it what’s best for other people’s kids isn’t my problem.

A very low % of my public school graduating class ever did anything with their lives, and frankly I doubt it did me any real good academically that I spent 8 hours of my day with that demographic as my benchmark.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-14-2021 at 03:34 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Basically any desire to want a better education for your kids comes off as hilariously elitist, but fuck it what’s best for other people’s kids isn’t my problem.
    I 100% agree with this.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Yes, there is value. What I am saying is that it isn't the be all and end all. Many Asians look at that list, find the highest number and beg, borrow and steal to get their kid in that school. Don't be Asian. lol

I'm not saying a school with a high number is bad, I'm stating that not all school with high rankings should be looked at equally.

Case in point: Olympic heights used to be one of the highest ranked schools in the city. Anyone in Aspen east of 85th was designated there. Roberta Bondar opened, all those family's younger siblings went to Roberta Bondar and Olympic heights dropped hard.

Did the teaching change there? Or was it the type of student?
    It's probably a mixture of both, which I think makes the ranking a valuable metric. The cohort is equally important (or more?) than the teachers, IMO.

My Ride
    Silverado

Part of the reason I moved to a generally high income area, I mean it's no Aspen, but it's aight. Hopefully it results in the kiddo being surrounded by high performers. If the neighbourhood school has good grades I guess it suggests that it's true. But maybe I should get on the private school lists before it is too late. Only a couple years away.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 01-14-2021 at 04:10 PM.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    You don't need to hide it, they don't deny people based on religion, but they will take a Catholic kid before a non-Catholic.

The Catholic school nearest me is well known to be the place the little shitheads have to go to after they get kicked out of the other 3 around me.
    Good to hear
    There is a K-6 school right beside me LOL.

My Ride
    *The First*

Asking for SKR...
    There is no "getting caught" because you're not doing anything wrong. It varies, but some literally need a numbers boost to justify their existence and they will willingly take children from non-religious families.
    Some accept children if the parents can identify them as being baptized, some can afford to be more selective and others ask only that the parents indicate "I believe in God" then they ask that you don't renounce the faith to the children, because that's kind of unfair and would confuse things.

What do you get? Well, according to SKR, you get kids that stand up and sing the anthem every morning along with poper, regimented structure and some fucking ACCOUNTABILITY. While public schools are deciding how to let girls who identify as trannicorns into the staff bathrooms and what colour palette the "zero tolerance for bullying" signs are going to be, Catholic schools are actually offering discipline for shit smears who pull fire alarms and hit girls.

And, it's not a cult. As we all know more than anything we've ever known about knowing things, the last residential school closed in 1996 which was clearly the Dark Ages (even though we can clearly recall it as being an enlightened time) BUT THAT'S WRONG!!! So, we all know that every Catholic within Canada (all of them, definitely for sure) was spending all their days scooping up Indian kids from reserves and taking them to rape factories, all day every day. In 1995... As we all vividly remember...
    Well, the last half of 1996 was a Eureka Moment and magically, everything changed, overnight. Without all that time spent stealing indigenous children from their utopia of opportunity on reservations so that all of them could be repeatedly raped and forced to become addicted to alcohol, the focus shifted to "how about you be nice to others and when someone needs a hand, you help them because that's the right thing to do in a functional society, not forgetting that one day, you may need a little help, yourself. Be nice. Be responsible. Be accountable." So, it's not like they're in a church with a Cardinal in a goofy costume telling them "evolution is a lie and dinosaur bones are fake", all day. It's a proper, structured education with an errMahGerrd-30min of Religion per week.

Big deal. It's free. They're not abducting children from reservations (because let's all own that that was occurring up to and including 1996). They aren't in a cult. They can't be bumped out by more devout, official Catholics. They're not marginalized by strict Catholics. And, it's an organization that thrives on monetary donations (which are tax deductible). Those donations purchase influence and power, if one chooses to follow that path.
    So I've heard...
    Last edited by ThePenIsMightier; 01-14-2021 at 06:30 PM.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

There is something to be said about the benefits of merely surrounding your kid with those kinds of people.

IÂ’d rather my kid spend their waking hours around, at least speculatively, more driven people than a bunch of skids.

Amazing even the benefits that come from a school not having to accommodate lower common denominators. For example, they no longer segregate kids who canÂ’t speak English into dedicated streams, you just have a teacher who is spending huge amounts of their time basically teaching English to a small % of students rather than actually teaching any content.

Basically any desire to want a better education for your kids comes off as hilariously elitist, but fuck it whatÂ’s best for other peopleÂ’s kids isnÂ’t my problem.

A very low % of my public school graduating class ever did anything with their lives, and frankly I doubt it did me any real good academically that I spent 8 hours of my day with that demographic as my benchmark.
    Preach on, brotha

Something that's always stuck with me - I had a pretty modest upbringing, but always did well academically. One of my best friends in high school came from one of the 'better' areas and we often competed, comparing test scores, etc. Come grade 12, I couldn't understand why he kept pressuring me to apply at the same universities so I could join him in his career as an "investment banker"... Like hell I wanted to sit in a "bank" branch and "invest" people's money... I simply hadn't been exposed to that type of career and had no idea

I don't recall putting much weight into the rankings before enrolling our first kid. We read the info on the websites and went to some private school expo, which gave us enough to narrow down our selection based on what we felt to be most important. We had plans to attend 3 different open house events, but the first one resonated enough that our decision was made. I'd recommend doing the same (info sessions, etc) for anyone considering a private school. It's a good way to get a feel for the things that aren't easily accounted for in the rankings.

As far as the quality of teachers - It seems clear to us that the school can be far more selective in their hiring. All of the teachers we've had have been fantastic and there's far more communication and a better feeling of accountability. Now some of that comes from the top down, where you get the feeling there's an awareness that this is a more transactional relationship. But I think more of it comes from a better overall work environment for the teachers. It's far easier to stay engaged with the students and parents when there are half as many kids and none of them require any special attention.

One other major differentiator - the students learn from day one that there are winners and losers... No gold stars for participation.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

See I knew it was my public high school to blame for why I’m not an investment banker...

fact.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

See I knew it was my public high school to blame for why I’m not an investment banker...
    To be fair, I also thought all lawyers were trial lawyers like you'd see on TV and all engineers were CAD monkeys... I was so sheltered.

Now my 8yo daughter wants to practice math so she can be like so-and-so's dad... See, it's all about the environment and exposing them to good role models

So we're not in a terrible situation right now. Our son is currently in kindergarten at a TLC school. We had applied for him to goto Master's for Kindergarten, but he didn't get in. We put in an application at Master's for Gr. 1, and we got a call saying they'd like him to go in for an interview.
    If he is successful, we are trying to decide whether to put him in Master's, or keep him in the TLC program.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by you&me View Post
    To be fair, I also thought all lawyers were trial lawyers like you'd see on TV and all engineers were CAD monkeys... I was so sheltered.
    Everyone thinks that.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Eclipse

I've learned a few things about our schooling system recently, I was speaking to my aunt about education she is a principle at a highschool in Poland, and I also spoke with a friend in Romania.

- In poland they teach you about

SWOT

Stengths
    Weakness
    Opportunity
    Threats

I knew about it from Uni and marketing, and asked a couple others if we learned it in High School and they said they didn't know about it. (I know it's used in a lot of business's here) but it was never taught in school, atleast nobody I know was taught it?

- We didnt have any Economics courses in high school? At least I didn't, they teach it in poland, in Romania they only had some Entry base level economics courses.

- They have Agriculture Highschools in Poland and Romania, but it's not a thing here.

In Bucharest, Romania he said that there is 6 Economic Highschools, basically one for each district.

I went to a catholic HS here but in Romania Religion courses are optional. (I have to ask in Poland but i'm assuming it's mandatory)

- They teach Civic Education in Romania which i was told is "Basically how to conduct yourself in society and respect elders and shit like that"

His reasoning was "Cause most of us gipsies lack that respect" (His not a Gypsy)

- Principles teach in classes their, In Romania his Principle taught him English and Civic Ed in Poland my aunt teaches Geography and something else (I forget)

- In Poland you need 30% to pass and about 70% of students get between 30-50% (Which i'd assume is similar here and 70% of students getting between 50-69%)

I always assumed the schooling systems were very similar in most countries (Except in the USA I know their schooling system is complete garbage)

When I was in High school I took like one course of French, they all have mandatory English courses now a days, and the younger Generations speak English pretty fluently and can read and write in English.

So I finally understand why it's so important to pick a good school for children here in Canada, it blew my mind.

Also there is no such thing as "spares" in highschool, I remember in grade 12 I was going after noon since I only needed 100 credits.
    Last edited by Kobe; 01-19-2021 at 10:43 AM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

My experience: Was in the catholic system until grade 9, then attended a private school. The entitlement of the kids in the private school I attended always annoyed me. Unrealistic expectations and not prepared to work for anything

We looked at the different programs and seriously considered sending our kids to private schools. My conclusion was there is nothing wrong with the curriculum of either the public or catholic systems and I would rather my daughter be exposed to a diverse background, develop some street smarts, and be allowed to excel as a top student rather than being normalized with a 'smart' population.
    Also the diversity of activities like music, sports, etc. seemed greater with the public options.

Really I think it comes down to the kid, the parents (and how involved they are). Basically if the kid has good reading/writing skills, and learns how THEY learn I think they will do okay in life. In her school she's not spoon-fed anything and it is up to her to sink or swim. Prefer it that way...vs what I saw in private schools.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

You can sink in a Canadian public school?

I thought high diplomas were a human right or something now.

fact.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    My experience: Was in the catholic system until grade 9, then attended a private school. The entitlement of the kids in the private school I attended always annoyed me. Unrealistic expectations and not prepared to work for anything

We looked at the different programs and seriously considered sending our kids to private schools. My conclusion was there is nothing wrong with the curriculum of either the public or catholic systems and I would rather my daughter be exposed to a diverse background, develop some street smarts, and be allowed to excel as a top student rather than being normalized with a 'smart' population.
    Also the diversity of activities like music, sports, etc. seemed greater with the public options.

Really I think it comes down to the kid, the parents (and how involved they are). Basically if the kid has good reading/writing skills, and learns how THEY learn I think they will do okay in life. In her school she's not spoon-fed anything and it is up to her to sink or swim. Prefer it that way...vs what I saw in private schools.
    I couldn't agree more, I was a bad student in grade 1-12. I would be happy with an A- but they were rare as hell.

I don't think it was because I was a bad student but because I just didn't try, I didn't take it seriously, I would rather play video games and a lot of the things we learned didn't interest me, I wanted to take the "easy route" I took Science 24 and Math 30 Applied in high school, I do think I got A's in Math but it's just something I seemed to understand always.

Now that I'm older I really do regret not taking science 20 and Bio and those other classes, in Uni I remember I got like 1 question wrote on my stats final and an good grades in English but I did put the effort in since I had to pay for it and didn't want to have to pay again.

My parents would always ask me "Did you finish your homework?" I'd always reply "yah" or "There was non" and that was the end of it.

I wish we learned about finances and economics and things we can apply after school, I honestly only remember the things I wanted to learn in School and the rest of it I totally forgot about.

If the kid is interested in a subject he is going to be a lot more motivated to learn about it, I'd try to make it as interactive and as exciting as possible for the children but we just didn't have that when I was going to a catholic school, I have no idea how other schools are with that though.

Also having a 4.0 GPA in Uni for most career courses (unless your like a doctor or scientist) is not the best for an employer who is hiring since the research we did in some marketing courses looking at MRU/UofC/Sait was that HR wanted someone that would make mistakes and had a social life so they could social with the others in the workplace.

I found the powerpoint, not sure where to upload it but i'm going to attach some of the sides from our research..

It was based on this

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

We wanted to find out

click for larger version
    Some of the slides.

click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version

Questions we asked
    Part 1
    click for larger version
    Part 2
    click for larger version

We removed everyone who responded that was using a uni e-mail to remove bias as well when they filled out the questionaire online. (prob 50%) and they were going to do it against for the next semester to get a larger sample size but I don't know how those results look like, I'm assuming they would be similar though.

We noticed that people at Sait knew what they want to do since they usually took a year or two off before attending, whereas UofC was the "smarter" students but the students were more happy with their education from MRU profs than UofC profs.

Something to consider when picking a school, it's not all about the "startest" students for employers in the future when hiring.
    Last edited by Kobe; 01-19-2021 at 12:10 PM.
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast