View Poll Results: Schooling - private or public

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Private

22 26.83%
  • Public

60 73.17%
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Schooling megathread - private or public?

Default Schooling megathread - private or public?

So schooling because it is a thing that many a beyond member is dealing with in their normal every day lives or soon will be.

Are you going to or are doing public or private? Now I am going to lump all charter schools into private because they basically are a private school within the public systems and the public systems in Calgary would be the CBE and CSSD. Personally, I consider any bilingual/immersion schools that fall outside of our two official languages to be essentially private schools as well - those are tax monies going to fund something that falls outside of our federal mandated languages.

Never the less, are you going to or are doing public or private? Or are you doing public despite wanting to do private - I realize this might be a difficult thing to admit to. Our 3 conceived kids and our Asian son by another mother all did CBE angleesh mainstream and they all currently seem to be somewhat normal functioning adults in their 20's now. Private was never a viable option for us and even it would've been we would've still done public CBE - public CSSD was never on our plate despite me being raised Catholic in my youth.

I did private school for my son until high school this year at which point he wanted to try a public school option to be in the same school as some of his friends that decided to change.

Its been an interesting year with completely different issues/challenges.

Our younger kids will start in private school when their old enough.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Philosophically, we like the idea of public school. But we have had some issues with a some teachers and administrators. The public system is really challenging to navigate and they have a system of hiding resources from parents. It's really frustrating. Both of us are university educated Canadian born english speakers, and we still find it confusing as hell. I suspect immigrants or others without our advantages just get left behind if they require anything beyond the basic classroom resources.

Have been impressed with the special ed program our one kid had for a year. That year was awesome. Second kid may be in a special ed program next year, we hope.

I don't have the cash for private school, but know what know now, I can certainly see the appeal of private education, especially for children with a learning disability.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 01-26-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Wife and I have discussed this extensively.

- straight to G1 (no kindergarten), delaying school as long as possible
    - whatever school is closest/convenient to start (Catholic in our case), kid will be walking to school and be taught basic street smarts
    - monitor as kid goes up the grades, some kids need more challenges (extra curricular stuff)

The first 5 years mean fuck all in terms of which school - most kids likely end up performing the same later on in life, at either public/private schools.

Until they reach HS, where more options and challenges are avail, is when we would consider something more specialized.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

If we were a $200g+ household, we'd put ours into private school. Not that I think our public system is terrible, but from an instructional point of view, I'm willing to bet private schools overall have better teachers, and smaller class sizes.

We could probably swing it now financially, but then she'd be growing up as the "poor" kid among wealthy peers. I was that kid in high school, I didn't enjoy it a single bit.

Oldest goes to Westmount. She's basically a grade ahead in everything. She was quite disruptive in regular school as she'd finish everything early and then do cartwheels.

#2 goes to community school. She's happy so far. Seems to be at an okay level of challenge. Will apply again for the science school and perhaps late French immersion.

My Ride
    V8s

Ours is still a couple years from starting, but we're likely go the private route for at least the early years. Later on, if there's other opportunities for sports or whatever at a larger public school, maybe switch over. I have zero interest in dealing with the CBE system, and we are a 5 min drive from a bunch of private schools.

The only thing that would get her in public is if we move to springbank earlier than planned, and she goes to the school(s) out there. They're kind of a happy medium between public and private IMO.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

What about good CBE schools vs private schools?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What’s the price range for private in Calgary and area?
    Ultracrepidarian

Waldorf - grade 1 appears to be $12,460 for a new student.

Name:  Tuition-Fees-Chart-2019-2020.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  82.9 KB

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The key is to have four or more kids, clearly.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Webber Academy grade 1 minimum $18,400

Strathcona Tweedsmuir grade 1 minimum $20,700
    Last edited by speedog; 01-26-2020 at 09:55 PM.

Private school is for people with more money than sense. Or if you know your kids don’t stand a chance unless they have somebody holding their hand (in which case you’re spending a lot to delay your kids’ failure until university).

Put that money into an account and tell your kid it’s theirs when they graduate university if you want to motivate them. Would be a better use of it regardless. If they don’t make it, spend something nice on yourself.

If your kids are smart doesn't really matter where they end up going, they will do fine in either public or private systems... If your kids are not then they could stand to benefit from more one on one time found in private schools.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdavirgin View Post
    If your kids are smart doesn't really matter where they end up going, they will do fine in either public or private systems... If your kids are not then they could stand to benefit from more one on one time found in private schools.
    "smart" is probably the wrong word for that sentiment. But I do agree that many kids would not benefit from anything beyond public school.

My Ride
    Silverado

Cheaper than what I pay for daycare right now... fuck I cant wait until my kid goes to public school. Dad needs a new shelby!

There's a poster on here that's the #1 proof that private school is useless.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think putting up with the POS public system builds character and bolsters problem solving skills.

That’s about the only good thing I have to say about it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I think putting up with the POS public system builds character and bolsters problem solving skills.

That’s about the only good thing I have to say about it.
    This. I enjoyed my time through public school, navigating it and figuring out how to take advantage of it to get ahead. Taught me how to find loopholes. With that said all my kids go to private.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Don't forget about all the "donations" and expensive activities on top of fees.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast