Quantcast
Brentwood Remodel! Follow Along Our Journey - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Brentwood Remodel! Follow Along Our Journey

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was probably the only one to do it as I know Brentwood quite well and was just curious, your secret Bat-cave location is safe with me Nice area though, I expect you'll love it more every year.
    Haha I had a pretty good idea too since I was looking in the area before we decided to jump across Crowchild into Varsity. Access to main roads from that location is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I was probably the only one to do it as I know Brentwood quite well and was just curious, your secret Bat-cave location is safe with me Nice area though, I expect you'll love it more every year.
    With the house number public all it took was a quick google and his house was the first one to pop up in the results.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Brentwood is a nice area. My wife and I are thinking of selling our place in Coventry and finding a place in there. Price of entry isn't cheap though.

Good luck with the reno's!!

How did you go about choosing your design-build firm? Did you know from the start who you wanted to build with or did you interview? Any particular factors that swayed you towards who you chose?

Thanks for letting us follow along!

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    Good job on the paint-shop!

Question: does the new layout show you're keeping both fireplaces up&down? Just because it's hard to take out?
    It super limits your furniture placement in the basement bedroom though; specifically around when the kid needs a study desk.
    Plan is to keep both fireplaces. We are going to see if we can keep the basement one, and incorporate it into the bedroom.
    There is a ton of space under the stairs, so we might work something out and have the closet there instead of where it is now. Going to wait until after demo to possibly make changes.

Originally we had that side of the house marked for full living space, and the opposite side two bedrooms. But the bedrooms would have been very small, so opted to plan for this layout.

Quote Originally Posted by RawB8figure View Post
    What is your total budget amount for this project?
    Trying to keep as close as possible to $300k but are mentally prepared for higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
    How did you go about choosing your design-build firm? Did you know from the start who you wanted to build with or did you interview? Any particular factors that swayed you towards who you chose?

Thanks for letting us follow along!
    We interviewed 4 different companies to get a full scope of services offered, general spec information, payment options, style, outside reviews and just a gut feeling. Did we vibe with them. Found the companies via word of mouth, social media and www.houzz.com.
    A search like this started us off:
    https://www.houzz.com/professionals/...ance=25&sort=4

We had a firm (you might be able to tell who it is based on the below picture haha) we wanted to work with from the start because we have followed them via social media for a few years, and really enjoyed their work. Plus, they have been around for quite some time.
    Basically, the job was theirs if they were as good in person as they appeared on social media. Turned out, they were even better in person, so it was any easy decision to move forward with them.
    Before paying any money, they had renders and an overall concept drawn up for us, a basic budget, with detailed spec offering and a formal project presentation.

BIN ARRIVAL. DEMO Starting Tomorrow
    Name:  Bin Arrival.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  194.0 KB

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post
    Brentwood is a nice area. My wife and I are thinking of selling our place in Coventry and finding a place in there. Price of entry isn't cheap though.

Agreed in terms of entry into the community price. There is no way we could have moved forward with this project had we paid full market value.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

Laundry chute for the win, we've got one in our 1955 bungalow and when I rebuilt our downstairs bathroom some 12 years ago I kept it and improved it by lining it with aromatic cedar.

Quote Originally Posted by gmc72 View Post

Any of the closer in NW 'wood' communities are still doing well - Brentwood, Charleswood, Collingwood, Highwood and one might as well toss in Cambrian Heights, North Haven, New North Haven and Rosemont as well. Those 8 communities have a ridiculous amount of CBE and CSSD schooling options.
    Last edited by speedog; 01-29-2020 at 08:49 PM.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    Yes you guys are correct! Of course beyond would figure it out quickly. Appreciate you not disclosing the exact location haha
    Road out the back of the house, and cul-de-sac up front.
    I'm familiar with the area, great location, and I will sign the petition to get the city to build a sidewalk along the back of those houses. Lots of foot traffic walking by and it's very strange that they haven't put one in to connect to the pathway.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    I'm familiar with the area, great location, and I will sign the petition to get the city to build a sidewalk along the back of those houses. Lots of foot traffic walking by and it's very strange that they haven't put one in to connect to the pathway.
    I walk by every now and then. Would also sign a petition if there is one.

My Ride
    2013 328i, 2020 BMW F900 XR

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Any of the closer in NW 'wood' communities are still doing well - Brentwood, Charleswood, Collingwood, Highwood and one might as well toss in Cambrian Heights, North Haven, New North Haven and Rosemont as well. Those 8 communities have a ridiculous amount of CBE and CSSD schooling options.
    School's aren't a big deal at all for us (my son is 20), but the location is great for my wife's job (teacher in Parkdale). Most of those areas are on our list, just waiting on listing our place.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

We also chose Cambrian Heights because of zoning . We used to live in Mount Pleasant and found the density too high with over half the houses being infills or duplexes. Rosemont would've been nice but just a tad out of our budget, so we settled in Cambrian Heights and loving it. It's also pretty quiet as there really isn't a reason to drive through Cambrian Heights unless you live there - so traffic in and out is always good regardless of time or weather.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Cambrian Heights, Highwood and Rosemont are probably my favourite three areas. If I move out of Mount Pleasant, those are the probable destinations.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Looks fun buddy, I hope the reno team has more skill than you do on the ice!

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by riander5 View Post
    Looks fun buddy, I hope the reno team has more skill than you do on the ice!
    bahahah thanks Richie.
    This was supposed to be my anonymous safe space to post! I've been exposed.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

Hey, our first home was in Mount Pleasant and now we've been in Highwood for 24 years. New infill, duplex and large SFH developments are popping up all over in Highwood but not on our block yet. First generation homeowners are pretty much gone, a lot of second generation oldies like myself still around. Tough call on what to do with a home that basically has no value and especially so when your kids are grown and some gone - empty nesters will be the order of the day on our block in the next 5-10 years.
    Last edited by speedog; 01-30-2020 at 10:57 AM.

My Ride

Hey, our first home was in Mount Pleasant and now we've been in Highwood for 24 years. New infill, duplex and large SFH developments are popping up all over in Highwood but not on our block yet. First generation homeowners are pretty much gone, a lot of second generation oldies like myself still around. Tough call on what to do with a home that basically has no value and especially so when your kids are grown and some gone - empty nesters will be the order of the day on our block in the next 5-10 years.
    It's interesting that you point that out. My Grandma recently moved into an assisted care facility, so her house in Highwood was put up for sale.
    I'm sure we would have had the opportunity to purchase the property, however we opted to move forward with the Brentwood property.

I believe her house sold in November for $410,000 to a developer, who I anticipate is going to tear it down and put a duplex on the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dezmarez View Post
    It's interesting that you point that out. My Grandma recently moved into an assisted care facility, so her house in Highwood was put up for sale.
    I'm sure we would have had the opportunity to purchase the property, however we opted to move forward with the Brentwood property.

I believe her house sold in November for $410,000 to a developer, who I anticipate is going to tear it down and put a duplex on the lot.
    That's a cheap teardown, must be a smaller lot
    A senior we used to shovel walks for sold his place about 18 months ago for $560,000 and now there's two large infills there. Larger lot, 70 front, 90 rear, something like 150 deep.

Are you taking it to studs throughout?
    Refinishing exterior or all new?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by RawB8figure View Post
    Are you taking it to studs throughout?
    Refinishing exterior or all new?

It's pretty much going to be brought down to the studs throughout.
    Exterior is going to be redone in vinyl, with stucco and cedar accents.
    All new windows.

Demo is well underway. Will have some pictures up this weekend with progress they have made.
    Asbestos abatement will be after so won't have access to the property for a bit.

My Ride

That's a cheap teardown, must be a smaller lot
    A senior we used to shovel walks for sold his place about 18 months ago for $560,000 and now there's two large infills there. Larger lot, 70 front, 90 rear, something like 150 deep.
    HonestDoor is great! haha

https://www.honestdoor.com/property/...-nw-calgary-ab

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast