Quantcast
Help me find a nice laptop - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help me find a nice laptop

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well, if I do go the desktop route, I can also upgrade as I go. so starting at 1080P is fine. I think that having a good future proof motherboard and CPU would be the most important thing, next being ram. I don't need a lot of HDD space, 500gb is probably plenty. As long as I can upgrade the video card to something better at a later date is probably the best way to go and get a nice monitor.
    Go with a 512GB SSD (highly recommend Intel SSD or M.2)

Go with a midrange (not extreme) i5 or i7 that you can over clock down the road (this is exactly what I did with my 8 year old gaming rig)

Go with 800-1000W PSU (2-300$) , I strongly advise Platinum level or above.

Go with a mid range GPU that you can SLI or XFIRE - this means you can DOUBLE UP on GPUs down the road instead of replacing one. It wont give you 2x performance, but 50% is common.

Go with an open case concept as this will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the total noise and the heat inside the system. Your GPU fans will hardly have to run.

Go with 1500-2000$ and do it right long term. 1000$ is not really feasible and you will just end up tossing it down the road.

I modded Mistus part list.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xWqrYH
    Last edited by revelations; 01-28-2020 at 06:07 PM.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I posted a case/mobo/cooler in the Marketplace a while back, you can have it for free as a starting point.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    I posted a case/mobo/cooler in the Marketplace a while back, you can have it for free as a starting point.
    I will shoot you a PM
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

Definitely consider the used market for things like these as well - the depreciation is quite high. You can get a decent built rig for 1k.

Im still using Hakkolas (Matt) OLD pc parts in my gaming rig - although I am running a 1080TI card with it and its almost pushing out 5Ghz.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    Definitely consider the used market for things like these as well - the depreciation is quite high. You can get a decent built rig for 1k.

Im still using Hakkolas (Matt) OLD pc parts in my gaming rig - although I am running a 1080TI card with it and its almost pushing out 5Ghz.
    I am not opposed to used parts. But, my issue is that I don't have a clue what it is I would be buying. I haven't built a desktop from scratch for 20ish years and I have no idea what specs to be looking for. I could go out and buy all the parts and most of it wouldn't be compatible LOL
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I have no idea what specs to be looking for. I could go out and buy all the parts and most of it wouldn't be compatible LOL
    That's pretty much why I ended up buying a pre-built and the only things I mod/add is HDD's. - speaking of which, many moons ago I effed up and bought a SATA drive when my comp only had IDE
    I don't even bother with RAM any more because of all the mix-and-match issues I read about.

Could someone help me explain why such a large SSD would be necessary?
    If it's 400gb of photos is it not as effective to have a 128gb SSD + 1TB HDD?

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

SSDs have dropped hugely in cost. Spending $100 on a quality NVME WD or Samsung drive and being able to actually intall all your core apps on it is huge beneficial over spending $50-60 for a tiny ssd that just holds Windows and a singlenl app or two. 1 TB sata ssd at $70 ensures you can install additional apps or your media at little additional cost.

My Ride

I am not opposed to used parts. But, my issue is that I don't have a clue what it is I would be buying. I haven't built a desktop from scratch for 20ish years and I have no idea what specs to be looking for. I could go out and buy all the parts and most of it wouldn't be compatible LOL
    I would suggest, in your case, looking for a pre built rig - where someone is selling their entire unit. Easy to test all components that way at the location.

In many cases you buy something thats one step down from ideal and mod it yourself (for eg. replace HDD with SSD).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    That's pretty much why I ended up buying a pre-built and the only things I mod/add is HDD's. - speaking of which, many moons ago I effed up and bought a SATA drive when my comp only had IDE
    I don't even bother with RAM any more because of all the mix-and-match issues I read about.

OP stated they did not need more than 512gb - no need for a hybrid setup that way.

My Ride
    XT6

Go with a midrange (not extreme) i5 or i7 that you can over clock down the road (this is exactly what I did with my 8 year old gaming rig)

Go with 800-1000W PSU (2-300$) , I strongly advise Platinum level or above.

Go with a mid range GPU that you can SLI or XFIRE - this means you can DOUBLE UP on GPUs down the road instead of replacing one. It wont give you 2x performance, but 50% is common.

Go with an open case concept as this will SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the total noise and the heat inside the system. Your GPU fans will hardly have to run.

Go with 1500-2000$ and do it right long term. 1000$ is not really feasible and you will just end up tossing it down the road.

I modded Mistus part list.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/xWqrYH
    If you want the ram in this build I will sell it to you for $100. Brand new in box. Bought it for a build I didn't get around too.

Also have a "Be Quiet" Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler that I bought and would sell for $100. Again same deal opened it but never used.

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Here is your solution:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Tells you automatically if something isn't right.

*Edit. Use the US Site to build it, because their lists are comprehensive.
    On Sabbatical

Quote Originally Posted by themack89 View Post
    Here is your solution:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Tells you automatically if something isn't right.

*Edit. Use the US Site to build it, because their lists are comprehensive.
    There are no actual compatibility issues with that whatsoever. Did you read the warnings? Just a possible BIOS update needed to support the 3XXX CPUs depending on the build date of the mobo he gets, very standard stuff. It comes with it's own cooler that won't have RAM clearance issues either.

OP, I think spending $2000+ is overkill and I think buying used is a step backward, but totally up to you. The build I posted would be perfect still IMO, and easily upgradable if needed down the road as a stepping stone before buying a new rig again.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-30-2020 at 12:07 PM.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

A single game with DLC can hit the 50GB mark. If you want to run games off the SSD for quicker load times then you'll want one on the larger side.

It depends entirely on individual usage. I have never needed more than 512GB for several big games and several photo/video editing applications. I think I have around 200GB free. Anything more than 512GB would be a waste for me as an OS drive, but everyone's usage is a little different. Price difference between 256 and 512 is very small as well so it's the obvious point of diminishing return. 1TB and 2TB get a much bigger bump, but they aren't that expensive either if you really need one.

Some people like to keep a large library of AAA title games though, and those can be 40GB+ each depending on the game, so if you need to have a bunch of those installed at once, you might need more space.

My Ride
    Bicycle

My 1TB SSD game drive is full if I download all Steam library onto it.

But not all my games can be installed in D: without some workarounds either. Like Oculus stuff when they are 1st released.

So in theory, if you are lazy, you should just get a 2TB SSD for C: and just forget about it.

Also, bigger SSDs are faster. Extends write wear (a 2TB drive should have 2x less write wear than 1TB) and stay faster longer. HDD should no longer be entertained in PC builds. Put them in a NAS.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-30-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    My 1TB SSD game drive is full if I download all Steam library onto it.

But not all my games can be installed in D: without some workarounds either. Like Oculus stuff when they are 1st released.

So in theory, if you are lazy, you should just get a 2TB SSD for C: and just forget about it.

Also, bigger SSDs are faster. Extends write wear (a 2TB drive should have 2x less write wear than 1TB) and stay faster longer. HDD should no longer be entertained in PC builds. Put them in a NAS.
    Endurance isn't an issue for 99% of users. Drives much smaller than 2TB have 1,200 TBW ratings, which is roughly equivalent to installing a 50GB game every single day for 65 years. Samsung's cheapest 970 512GB Evo still has an endurance equivalent to a 50GB game install every day for over 8 years. Virtually any SSD you buy these days is going to be replaced due to aging technology long before anyone hits the endurance limits.

HDDs still have a place in PC builds, just not for the OS drive. I have 40TB of HDD storage in my PC. A NAS isn't needed for redundancy if you use something like Blackblaze IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2