Quantcast
Will 1500W heat my garage? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Will 1500W heat my garage?

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I know the original question has been answered but it seems people are still debating the merits of various solutions so I'll throw in my opinion here too.

I had a 19x22 attached garage on my last house. Half had 9' ceilings and half was 11' with a bonus room overtop, only one wall connected to the house and it had a (poorly) insulated door. I installed 2x1500W ceramic radiant heaters on the ceiling. When I wanted to go work out there I'd just turn both heaters on and head right out, no waiting. Radiant heaters are mostly about heating you and not heating the entire space (although they will do it if given long enough), so in my case I put them on the high part of the ceiling and aimed them so that they covered a little more than that half of the garage. If you were working under them you could head out there with no jacket and work comfortably even when it was stupid cold outside. They were cheap to buy (~$50 each) and cost very little to run because for the most part they were only on when I was actively working out there, so maybe 30-90 minutes at a time. In my case I already had a subpanel in the garage so running the electrical was trivial.

The big downside to this solution is if you have to work under a car or something where you don't have line of sight to the heaters, then they basically do nothing for you. A couple times I ran them for 3-4 hours before going out to warm up the entire garage and they did an acceptable job of that but the slab was still stone cold and I suspect they'd take 24 hours to fully warm that up.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Didn't feel like starting a new thread,

Anyone had a gas line run recently and have a contractor recommendation / ballpark cost?

I don't have an NG hookup on my deck for my BBQ so I would like to get one run to it before spring.

It also turns out that my Deck is also my garage, so while I'm at it I'm going to have them rough in a NG tee into the garage to give me the option of a NG garage heater down the road ( I doubt this costs me much at this point ).

TIA
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I can only personally recommend against Josh the Gasfitter. Many seem to have good experiences with that outfit, they showed up a day late and had two bumblefuck apprentices do my install and it failed inspection twice.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I just got one of these. throw it on 5 minutes before going out, and my garage is warmer than inside my house.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by ShermanEF9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just got one of these. throw it on 5 minutes before going out, and my garage is warmer than inside my house.

Is it also full of Carbon Monoxide?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5