Quantcast
Will 1500W heat my garage? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Will 1500W heat my garage?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've already got a gas line in my garage... previous owner had a heater/furnace out there at some point.

Given that's the case, I'm assuming I should be strongly considering gas heater? Anyone factor in maintenance and reliability? afaik nothing to really go wrong with an electric heater, whereas gas has more components that can break.
    Agreed with the mob, use gas if you have it. My Reznor ceiling-mount forced air heater has been great, I got it used from an oilfield company that was using it to heat a quonset and then sat in unheated storage for years. I replaced the venter motor ($50) a couple years ago as it was noisy and the bearings were starting to go. Garage heaters are pretty basic, nothing like the high-efficiency house furnaces.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    no experience personally but i'm looking into one for next winter. If you already have the gas line, i would think you could get a good Lennox/other top brand for about $1500-1800 installed. My guy quoted $2099 for a Lennox but he needs to run a new gas line.

Curious about reliability on these things as well. Hope it's not the same deal as high efficiency home furnaces where they break all the time.
    Bro, used mid-efficiency furnace for $150.
    Name:  Screenshot_20200131-153944.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  21.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

100% if gas is next to or in the garage already, use that. I had to run a line 40 feet across my yard which was an added cost on top of the heater itself otherwise it would be gas. I think I was looking at a few extra thousand, and I don't plan to be in my current house more than 5 years so the investment was not worth it for me.

For electrical main panel is garage, sub panel is in the house. The connection to the garage could likely support a 200amp panel, but that would require a panel swap and is not necessary. You can support a full home, even with an air conditioner on 100 amp service if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Oh, and if you are in a large garage, just get a used furnace. Very common with larger shops back home when space is not an issue.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You can mount the furnace on the ceiling, and have storage underneath.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Name:  Screenshot_20200131-153944.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  21.0 KB
    the thought of a used furnace/garage heater never even crossed my mind but that's actually sounds like a great option.

i do wonder if professional HVAC guys would install a used furnace though? don't they have some sort of rule where you can't add a new furnace/heater unless it's high efficiency?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    the thought of a used furnace/garage heater never even crossed my mind but that's actually sounds like a great option.

i do wonder if professional HVAC guys would install a used furnace though? don't they have some sort of rule where you can't add a new furnace/heater unless it's high efficiency?
    They will install. Really the biggest risk I would imagine is around the gas ticket, so as long as it is functioning properly then it is fine. A home furnace is typically overkill for most garages, but really it's no different than installing a smaller garage style heater, which people install used all the time.

The clearance requirements for the units may be different too, and I really don't know if you could suspend it from the ceiling, I mean, if you built a shelf for it possibly. good questions on that side.

My Ride
    V8s

You can definitely suspend home furnaces from the ceiling. They're designed that way so they can be installed in a basement prior to the floor being poured/finished (in new build houses).

I'm not into spending >$1k for a calcana heater, as we'll probably only be in this house for another 5 years ish, and I don't have the floor space for a used furnace. I'd probably be looking for something closer to this I think https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...at/A-p8547085e

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You can definitely suspend home furnaces from the ceiling. They're designed that way so they can be installed in a basement prior to the floor being poured/finished (in new build houses).

I'm not into spending >$1k for a calcana heater, as we'll probably only be in this house for another 5 years ish, and I don't have the floor space for a used furnace. I'd probably be looking for something closer to this I think https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...at/A-p8547085e
    You could downsize to the 50,000 BTU one and still be pretty happy. Save a couple bucks on purchase price, and it's smaller.

The "Electricman" is coming on Sunday to install a 6000W heater, I'll let you guys know how it goes. Looks like the heater + install is only going to cost me around $600. Thanks again for all your help and input.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The "Electricman" is coming on Sunday to install a 6000W heater, I'll let you guys know how it goes. Looks like the heater + install is only going to cost me around $600. Thanks again for all your help and input.
    what a deal.

My Ride
    V8s

You could downsize to the 50,000 BTU one and still be pretty happy. Save a couple bucks on purchase price, and it's smaller.
    Last I checked the 80k BTU is on sale and 50k isn't, currently it's $20 cheaper to get the 80k haha.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Last I checked the 80k BTU is on sale and 50k isn't, currently it's $20 cheaper to get the 80k haha.
    Both are currently on sale:
    https://www.princessauto.com/en/sear...as+unit+heater
    Name:  Unit Heater.PNG
Views: 359
Size:  214.3 KB

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Just to add to this, I also bought a 1500W heater first and found it to be pretty useless. Decided to wire 240V into my garage, bought a 5000W portable heater and it's been great. I just use it when I am working out in the garage and it heats it up nicely. Wiring the 240V wasn't too hard, but if you are more comfortable getting a pro to do it then $600 isn't too bad. I did get a permit when I did mine just to cover my ass if something happens and the permit+inspection costs $150 on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeSi View Post
    Just to add to this, I also bought a 1500W heater first and found it to be pretty useless. Decided to wire 240V into my garage, bought a 5000W portable heater and it's been great. I just use it when I am working out in the garage and it heats it up nicely. Wiring the 240V wasn't too hard, but if you are more comfortable getting a pro to do it then $600 isn't too bad. I did get a permit when I did mine just to cover my ass if something happens and the permit+inspection costs $150 on it's own.
    Yeah $600 seemed quite cheap to me for the 240V + labor + heater itself installed on the wall. I'm also getting them to install a thermostat control. I guess all it is at the end of the day is a resistance coil and a fan haha.

The installer is a Master Electrician had he said his insurance covers everything, but I think I'll still pay for the city to come out and inspect it to cover my ass. I was told that was $257 though.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

Yeah $600 seemed quite cheap to me for the 240V + labor + heater itself installed on the wall. I'm also getting them to install a thermostat control. I guess all it is at the end of the day is a resistance coil and a fan haha.

The installer is a Master Electrician had he said his insurance covers everything, but I think I'll still pay for the city to come out and inspect it to cover my ass. I was told that was $257 though.
    Ya it's not really hard to install. It was $150 for me when I did it 2 years ago which included me going downtown to get a permit and then 2 inspections. So it may have gone up or the electrician is adding his fee to it.

My Ride

The trouble with the permit inspection is not the electrical work itself. It's what inspector you end up getting and if they see anything else, aside from their inspection. It's uncommon but there have been some bad stories in the past regarding this.

Do what you think is best for your own home, but this jurisdiction is over permitted on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    The trouble with the permit inspection is not the electrical work itself. It's what inspector you end up getting and if they see anything else, aside from their inspection. It's uncommon but there have been some bad stories in the past regarding this.

Do what you think is best for your own home, but this jurisdiction is over permitted on so many levels.
    The only thing I am worried about is if on the off chance this heater causes a fire or some sort of property damage, I want insurance to still cover it - I assume for that they would be looking to see if it was done by the book before honoring a claim.

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

The only thing I am worried about is if on the off chance this heater causes a fire or some sort of property damage, I want insurance to still cover it - I assume for that they would be looking to see if it was done by the book before honoring a claim.
    That's what I was afraid of as well. The inspector did make me change my outlet box since the one I had was too small for his liking. Not expensive, just inconvenient. And he did talk to me about my shed too which was totally unrelated so there is that chance that he may notice something else on your property.

That's what I was afraid of as well. The inspector did make me change my outlet box since the one I had was too small for his liking. Not expensive, just inconvenient. And he did talk to me about my shed too which was totally unrelated so there is that chance that he may notice something else on your property.
    Yeah I think I'll bend over and pay for a city sticker - better safe than sorry.

My Ride

It's so bad sometimes in this City that renovation contractors often joke about it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast