Quantcast
Toastmasters - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Toastmasters

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Toastmasters

I'd like to improve my public speaking.
    I went to a club for one session. This was a year and a half ago. But I was unemployed. So I could not really sign up to the fee's etc.

But since I am working now, I'd like to try again.

Is anyone a member of Toastmasters who has been going regularly..?
    Any tips and advice on selecting a club?

Clubs have very different feels based on the members. Some are primarily young professionals, some are student based, others are primarily ESL people looking to improve their confidence etc. Most clubs will let you attend as a guest for a few times before they'll make you commit. Email the membership contact and ask to attend as a guest. Go try a few based on the location/schedule that work for you.

I looked into ToastMasters before as I have an irrational fear of public speaking, but from what I could tell, it's basically just exposure therapy. I didn't feel like I needed to pay someone just to put me in uncomfortable situations, but then again I didn't actually go so I can't say for sure.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I looked into ToastMasters before as I have an irrational fear of public speaking, but from what I could tell, it's basically just exposure therapy. I didn't feel like I needed to pay someone just to put me in uncomfortable situations, but then again I didn't actually go so I can't say for sure.
    If you want to get better at public speaking, one way or another, you have to get some real world practice. Toastmasters is a safe way to try that out. If you hate public speaking, and your next opportunity is a higher-risk situation where looking foolish could hurt your career, then maybe this kind of "exposure therapy" is a really good investment.

I've had to do a lot of public speaking, and I still get nervous as hell. Apparently I'm getting better at hiding it, but I still think something like toastmasters could really help me professionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    K-car

Careful.......Amway/Network21 faithful love to prey on Toastmaster members. The see the group as a fantastic opportunity to recruit new "independent business owners". In fact, the group I tried out turned out to pretty much be a big recruiting circle for that bs.

My Ride
    Audi

I used to be a member of Talk of the Hill Toastmasters in Calgary (they're based in the NW and meet weekly at the Toyota Dealer in royal oak). It was a diverse group as far as why people were there, and their experience level. They were very welcoming and supportive. I went because I needed to improve my speaking skills.

Edit: My former employer used to a host one that was made up of mostly employees. Your employer may have a similar setup. I chose not to join that group because I wanted to be able to improve my skills with people I was not comfortable around (eg. strangers).

On top of what Jake1er said, what I found as the most important thing was joining an established club with an active member list with a strong core group of members. It is very frustrating to join a club where only a handful of people show up, and they are not experienced with how they run their club.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by hampstor View Post
    Edit: My former employer used to a host one that was made up of mostly employees. Your employer may have a similar setup. I chose not to join that group because I wanted to be able to improve my skills with people I was not comfortable around (eg. strangers).
    I was gonna suggest seeing if there's a group at work too. The building I work in has a Toastmasters meeting once a week, though it has no association with any of the businesses that operate out of here; it's just a group of like-minded individuals who want to improve their public speaking skills meeting over a lunch break.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I visited the one local to my office building once. Agree that most people didn't even work for my company.
    It's still very 'volunteer' oriented. I didn't see anyone forced to speak. So effectively you could be paying to sit in a room full of public speakers who don't like public speaking, and only listen/judge for the entire duration.

They did teach a little bit about how to structure what you are saying, but really if you were good at explaining things you would already know this...

I used to be terrible at public speaking, the only way I got better was by throwing myself into uncomfortable public speaking situations at work. Got better quick.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I had to give a talk to 150 professionals in total darkness during a power outage. That was a good one for the nerves!
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Public speaking, both my wife and I have been comfortable with doing so for years. Looking back at myself when I was a young man in high school, I can say it's been a natural progression - even back then I was comfortable being a spokesperson and it just got strengthened during my time at SAIT and furthermore as the president of one of the union local's at TELUS when we were on the picket lines, speeches including the press were a thing then. I also was asked to speak in front of 1,500 or so strangers at a conference my wife attended and in the recent past on multiple occasions, speaking to groups of athletes and parents in the amateur wrestling world.

On the flip side, I would say that 3 of my 4 brothers would never place themselves in a situation whereas they'd be public speaking. My 4 kids, my eldest can handle public speaking, two can not and the jury is still out on the youngest although I think she'll be okay with it.

My Ride
    *The First*

Toastmasters is absolutely fantastic*!!!

*For those who are fucking completely useless, massive ESL or have a life altering fear of public speaking. And, to be fair, that's a lot of people.
    Their teaching is extremely formulaic and regimented which is exactly fine for those who really struggle. As a result, you'll likely never become proficient - but, you'll become competent and that's a big leap forward for those who struggle.

If you don't have that irrational fear that afflicts so many poor souls and you're already just a bit shy about it, I wouldn't say they'll help you much.

I find it easy as Hell to spot those who visit Toastmasters regularly and have a comfortable stage presence. They look like robots - repeating the same scripted behaviours even though they should have the confidence to own a stage.

Or, just get drunk...

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I had to give a talk to 150 professionals in total darkness during a power outage. That was a good one for the nerves!
    The rooms are always dark when you are imagining people in their underwear

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    The rooms are always dark when you are imagining people in their underwear
    Name:  ecc6cb2b5257accee2481c4fc449dbb3.gif
Views: 151
Size:  1.15 MB

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Name:  ecc6cb2b5257accee2481c4fc449dbb3.gif
Views: 151
Size:  1.15 MB
    You're not wearing the right thing in the right place
    #CoronaVirus

Name:  OPSZ7FXZAMN6TB6F2PJEZ3GNEI.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  53.5 KB

https://www.nydailynews.com/resizer/...2PJEZ3GNEI.jpg

Doctor approved
    Last edited by jwslam; 01-31-2020 at 09:54 AM.