Quantcast
Shaw VS Telus for Internet + Cable package - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw VS Telus for Internet + Cable package

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am curious, there are some pretty die hard Shaw customers here - if TELUS FTTH was available in your hood, would you go over the the light side?
    I started with Cadvision, switched to Telus dial-up , but the day Shaw was available I switched, as Telus had nothing in my neighborhood.
    Have never really had any issues with Shaw, both in Sandstone, and down in the dirty South.
    That said, I would take a hard look at Telus if FTTH was available. would make working from home a bit better with faster upload for sure, and offsite backups too.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    Funny enough, although wasn't a deciding factor for me, when I saw the fiber combo cable in my house when I moved in almost 11 years ago, I almost creamed my pants haha. The house I ended up buying was perfect, and fiber was just the cherry on top of the cake Depending on a person, it could be a pretty big factor, but I don't think it would be a deciding one. Mind you my fiber in the basement wasn't active until about 8 years ago, but once Telus got fiber to the hood they hooked me up almost right away. I saw them running fiber in the area and one day coming back from home saw the truck parked right in front of my house with the guy doing something in the box, asked him if it was fiber and he said yes, and a week later I had it. Pretty sure I was like the first person on the block with it. I would never go back, seriously, in this whole time, I don't even remember a time I ever had to touch anything, it just works. Been with Shaw for many years before that and had to reboot the damn modem weekly sometimes, was stupid. When Shaw cut out on my wife mid online quiz....it's fate was sealed. Since then my wife finished her LPN on Telus, and doing her RN online now, all on Telus, with many courses and quizes done online.
    We got lucky too - chose the house first, and I realized FTTH was available after the fact. Like you say, it was the cherry on top. It also took me forever to find a house that had every room wired with Ethernet, and there was no way I was going to buy a house and rip open all the walls to do that after the fact. We looked at more houses than I can count and only TWO had Ethernet in every room - the rest had zero and the builder just assumed you would just use wireless for everything from a router in the utility room.

Shaw was really good to me over 2+ decades, and some of that may have just been because I was in less congested areas. Literally never had a service issue that I can recall nor have I ever had to reboot a modem or my router that I can recall. After we moved, I noticed I only get 400-500 Mbps in the day, but I can hit the full 660 Mbps at night. I've never had that slowdown before, ever, so I think the area is saturated. FTTH should fix that right up.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Well called Telus today, and had a super nice guy look at both of my accounts, think I spent an hour on both, and couldn't get as good of a deal as some on here (think because I was already on contract), but at the end of the day, going to be paying a few dollars less but speed upgraded from 150mbps to 750mbps. Good enough for me

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Looking at Shaw vs. Telus as well and the services for our condo building are vastly different...

2 yr 600mbps (Internet 600) with Shaw. $70/month during contract

vs.

2 yr 75mbps (Internet 75) with Telus. $65/month during contract

Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Looking at Shaw vs. Telus as well and the services for our condo building are vastly different...

2 yr 600mbps (Internet 600) with Shaw. $70/month during contract

vs.

2 yr 75mbps (Internet 75) with Telus. $65/month during contract

Absolutely true. Shaw didn't make me ask for more after going under contract as I thought it was pretty reasonable.
    Telus is pretty bad unless you double down on your haggling.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Stupid new people only, send a email to me to tell me to go renew now for savings! shows me the promo of $100 for total tv + internet 30 and $100 bill credit. Nope only for new people even though that is a directed email to me. Best I could get as a current customer was $80 for Internet 300 for 2 years. Best I can get for the same package was was $145 from loyalty. Fuck that noise, we don't watch that much tv and I can bum off of my parents Shaw account for Sportsnet/TSN stuff. Contract isn't up till June but man I think I might swap to Telus gigabit at that time as its only a $5 difference but way better speeds. I have been slowly moving everything important off of that email address anyways for the last few years.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've heard, but never checked, that anywhere telus doens't have FTTH, that their prices are pretty high.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

If your with shaw call and cancel your services for a few days down the road. I did so as I switched to telus and I had a call shortly after. The lady tried offering me some basic discount at first. When I told her I was pissed at the customer service rep i talked to the other day for keeping me on the phone for 45 min only to offer me higher prices at significantly slower speeds then telus fibre the deal got better. I told her my times more important then wasting it on the phone for 45 min with a rep who's not listening.

In the end if I wanted a cheaper rate I would have stayed. I also didnt feel like negotiating as I think I could have gotten better. She had me at $55 a month for 300mbps or $70 for 600mbps with big bill credits. We stream our cable services so I didnt need to hear about any cable options.

I've had the odd deal pop up that seems to advertise maybe a bit of a better price so I'd try and push for a better deal. I was with shaw for 15+ years and no longer.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Cell phone, TV or Internet are becoming all the same - zero loyalty so you have to bounce around to find the better pricing.

Life seems to be moving to a subscription medium where it's 'juicy' at first and then they hope you forget to cancel or get lazy. This is particularly prevelant with our parent's generation -- I was absolutely disgusted to see the services that were being provided for an obscene cost. Promptly cancelled that shit.
    Last edited by msommers; 02-25-2020 at 05:16 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Loyalty and laziness work against you. Shop around and haggle everything every year or two.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

You don't really need to shop around. That is a hassle to change services. Just talk to a different rep willing to play ball

Shaw called me back today. Offered 300mbps for $50 and a $200 bill credit. 600mbps is $60 with a similar bill credit. The offer got a bit better.

My Ride
    Z

Is Telus still fussy about torrenting? That's one reason I've stayed with Shaw
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    Is Telus still fussy about torrenting? That's one reason I've stayed with Shaw
    I don't torrent much, but if you use a private tracker all your shit would be encrypted, if you use public trackers, get a VPN and it won't be a problem. Usenet is the way to go anyways, all encrypted so nothing to worry about.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Man Shaw support is absolutely motherfucked right now.

I’m at 2.5hours already trying to cancel my services with them. 90 minutes on a callback just to get a mandatory transfer to retentions just to get tossed on hold for another hour.

Fuck me.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I'm actually surprised, my connection is holding steady at 330/20 over my wifi all day and evening as of late. I seriously expected it to nosedive hard with everyone staying home. With Lightspeed (aka Shaw last mile)

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Stuck with Shaw.

Got upgraded from internet 300 to internet 600 and got ~$5 knocked off a month compared to before with a activation credit for first month free.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Man Shaw support is absolutely motherfucked right now.

I’m at 2.5hours already trying to cancel my services with them. 90 minutes on a callback just to get a mandatory transfer to retentions just to get tossed on hold for another hour.

Fuck me.
    Just cancel online via chat

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Just cancel online via chat
    Tried that for 4 hours last Friday, in any case apparently you cannot cancel your account via chat lol.

3.5 hours was the final on hold count before retentions picked up, ffs.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Teksavvy just stopped accepting new customers. Even though its been working great for me (perfect Netflix streaming) obviously they are having issues over in Ontario. They are also raising the bargain basement from $24 to $29. They say its to upgrade, I believe them.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast