Quantcast
Pre-purchase inspectrions - those mobile guys any good? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Pre-purchase inspectrions - those mobile guys any good?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Pre-purchase inspectrions - those mobile guys any good?

Seems like all my relatives and freinds are buying cars, and I'm not, and it pisses me off, but well,

Anywhoooo, have someone buying a vehicle in the 5-6k range, and they'll want a pre-purchase inspection. Will be a boring "regular" car like an accord or corolla or something. Are those mobile inspection services any good? Or at least, as reputable as most shops?
    Gizoogle has lots of options. MicroMech https://micromech.net/services and InstaMek https://instamek.com/inspection-calgary/ pop out.
    MicroMech has a warranty as part of it, although I'm really suspicious that it's worth anything.

So homies, what is the dilly, yo?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My opinion is that there is no way they can do a proper inspection without a lift, the right tools, etc. and that is difficult to do when mobile.

Most inspections are a joke anyway (just visual) unless you are lucky enough to find an individual that you really trust to put in the effort.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The only used car I ever had inspected, was a total lemon. Not sure the inspection could have found the issues, but it sure didn't. I just know if I give this person car buying advice, and they get an inspection, then they can blame that mechanic if things go sideways, instead of blaming me.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    The only used car I ever had inspected, was a total lemon. Not sure the inspection could have found the issues, but it sure didn't. I just know if I give this person car buying advice, and they get an inspection, then they can blame that mechanic if things go sideways, instead of blaming me.
    That's reasonable if you're looking to pass the buck haha - but the inspection itself might be a waste of money.

I lost count a long time ago of amount of used cars I have driven with obvious major issues that were inspected/certified - mostly at dealers though. Some were in limp mode, needed new transmissions, bald tires, brake pads worn down to the metal, etc. and they all passed inspection.

Your best bet I think is to take it to a third party who has nothing to gain by passing the car, and not a dealer.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Your best bet I think is to take it to a third party who has nothing to gain by passing the car, and not a dealer.
    Yeah, so of those types, the mobile guys are probably as good as anyone. At least they aren't trying to sell you a bunch of unnecessary repairs, which is apparently also a common mechanic scam? I dunno.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I would definitely take a mobile mechanics advice over no inspection. If they lift the 4 corners (wheels off) off the ground, there isnt much (if anything) they are missing from a lift.

I've used a mobile mechanic on several occasions and they have always 'paid' for themselves in that they found something I could use to reduce the offer - or walk away from the sale.

Obviously, if the vehicle is worth more than say, 10k, a lift and a proper CAA/third party inspection is recommended.

Always do a compression test!! Even on newer vehicles.