Quantcast
Volkswagen, decent used value? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Volkswagen, decent used value?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Volkswagen, decent used value?

Opinions on Jetta and golf models 2009-2012? How difficult to repair, projected reliability etc?
    Seems like they are cheaper than Honda's of similar age and mileage. And a few I've seen are really well cared for one owner cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

That era had the 2.5L 5 cylinder as one of the options, that is considered one of the most reliable engines VW has had. Had a Rabbit/Golf with that setup and it was a great daily. Sounded pretty good with that cylinder layout too. If I wanted an out of warranty VW, no question I would seek out this engine.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Opinions on Jetta and golf models 2009-2012? How difficult to repair, projected reliability etc?
    Seems like they are cheaper than Honda's of similar age and mileage. And a few I've seen are really well cared for one owner cars.
    That's because they're all upgrading to Raptors.

Don't get a VW. You need specific equipment to read ecu and clear codes.
    Codes come up for oil changes and everything.
    Maybe this has been hacked by now and it's easy. I'm sure someone else can chime in. Lots of VW guys around.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Obdeleven is a great code reader/ modder. I think it’s around $100.

I’ve had luck with all my vw and Audi products. It’s great having a honest mechanic, that has a great rep too. Tunedub is the best.
    Picking up a new vw golf alltrack tmr, the worst thing I had was a high flow fuel pump go in my 2007 gti.

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Obdeleven is a great code reader/ modder. I think it’s around $100.

I’ve had luck with all my vw and Audi products. It’s great having a honest mechanic, that has a great rep too. Tunedub is the best.
    Picking up a new vw golf alltrack tmr, the worst thing I had was a high flow fuel pump go in my 2007 gti.
    Which trim level? Is there much room for negotiation if you don't mind me asking?

I keep looking at one and trying to justify the power as sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    That era had the 2.5L 5 cylinder as one of the options, that is considered one of the most reliable engines VW has had. Had a Rabbit/Golf with that setup and it was a great daily. Sounded pretty good with that cylinder layout too. If I wanted an out of warranty VW, no question I would seek out this engine.
    This x2. Had many VW's over the years ranging from MK1 to MK7. Only car I had lots of trouble with was my Corrado, other than that they were all reliable. Most have little electrical gremlins but nothing mechanical I experienced. The NA motors are rock solid.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I have no idea I feel like I did ok but no idea. For me it’s not a power thing it’s my winter car and spare family car. I don’t need the hp I wanted the features. I have my rs4 still for summer to enjoy the sound and hp.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Quote Originally Posted by dimi View Post
    Which trim level? Is there much room for negotiation if you don't mind me asking?

I keep looking at one and trying to justify the power as sufficient.
    I have one with DGS fully loaded. You won't win any race but the power is fine. I think the turbo and the transmission is paired pretty good. I haven't experienced any problem going up hill. Have you considered the sportwagen? I think it's a better deal minus the trim pieces and a slightly lower ride height. The Alltrack is just a higher trim sportwagen in the states.

My Ride

Better get them soon. They are being cancelled and once 2019s are sold that's it.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Ya that’s true, without seeing one in person I’m not a fan of the mk8. They will be here spring 2021. They still have a ton of them on the lot. But I don’t know what is going to fill up the spots as they sell.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hah, you can tell I have the itch to buy another car, been trolling Kijiji and really liking the volkswagons I have found.

Anyone have thoughts on the TDI post-dieselgate? Did the "fix" make it worse? I know the ones I drove back before all that were pretty sweet, especially for highway cruising.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Hah, you can tell I have the itch to buy another car, been trolling Kijiji and really liking the volkswagons I have found.

Anyone have thoughts on the TDI post-dieselgate? Did the "fix" make it worse? I know the ones I drove back before all that were pretty sweet, especially for highway cruising.
    No experience with them, but it's nice that if you get one that has been fixed they carry a 10 or 11 year warranty on emissions, including turbo/injectors etc.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I have a 2012 TDi right now and it's not bad. The power was less than impressive until it got tuned. But after the tune and delete, the lower end torque made it much better to drive. Mileage went up as well.

I thought about leaving it stock for the 'warranty', but I don't particularly care for dealership warranty work in the first place, so it's no loss to me.