Quantcast
Seadoo's - Time for a new School Me thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Seadoo's - Time for a new School Me thread

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Seadoo's - Time for a new School Me thread

Well it's been a long enough winter so far... So in a departure from the winter doom and gloom I was thinking about picking up some form of watercraft to have some fun with for this summer, and with 2 mortgages right now it seems particularly imprudent to splurge on the beautiful blue Malibu that was at the boat show this weekend...

I have always wanted a Seadoo so this Spring/Summer seems like the perfect time to pick one up.

Just getting into it but I kindof have my heart set on one of the RXP/RXT/GTX 300 models, wondering what people's thoughts are who have them or any other Seadoo model.

Kindof interested in maybe picking up a second at some point down the road, so I was wondering investing in a dual seadoo trailers and whether its a no-no to run one with only one watercraft on them for the time being until I decide if I want the second.

Doesn't look like there is a ton of these on the used market without going quite alot older, but I would consider a good quality used craft.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think!
    Last edited by killramos; 02-11-2020 at 07:43 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

ExtraSlow approves.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It would be fun to talk about something other than Trudeau or whats killing us all this year for a change.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

It would be fun to talk about something other than Trudeau or whats killing us all this year for a change.
    You sound like you could use a pick me up. . Here's some free advice. When I am feeling blue, all I have to do is take a look at you. Then I am not so blue.

Give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    You sound like you could use a pick me up. . Here's some free advice. When I am feeling blue, all I have to do is take a look at you. Then I am not so blue.

Give it a shot.
    Glad I can make your day better

fact.

I don’t know shit about seadoos but I just wonder how much use they would get and the cost of them, a trailer, insurance etc vs the cost of just renting them. If you use them a lot I get it, but I think most people really don’t... At least here in prairieland. I could be totally wrong though. I think it has happened at least once before.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

What’s the old saying... if it floats or fucks... rent it

But seriously... very hard to justify even if you have a place on the water. Pretty useless toys... only person I know that’s gets their money’s worth is Kenny powers!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Better value and lower depreciation than the Malibu for sure. I've heard She'll get a hold on you believe it.
    Like no other, Before you know it you'll be on your knees.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Wakeboard boats don’t depreciate... at times they actually appreciate, it’s wild... I really wish I bought an x-star when they were $25k (used) fuck me if you can find any for less than $40k now

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I can advise on this - I bought a used 2009 Seadoo GTI 130 a few years ago.

It was my first foray into boating of any kind. A former rental, it appeared to be well mechanically maintained but had a hole in the hull.

That winter I took the time to learn (youtube) and fix up the hull. It turned out amazing and the 1 summer we had with it was just spectacular. Literally every other weekend either the wife and I, or some friends, were at a lake with the thing. I wanted 1 summer as we were moving into our own house and I would be busy with vehicles and home renos.

Some things:

- DEFINITELY enough power (even with this 'cheap' model)
    - get a boat with mirrors
    - learn the basics about mechanicals about the boat - eg. check the oil level, sucking in rocks close to the shore is a no no
    - submarining the thing HURTS YOUR FACE when the wall of water slaps you like an ex gf
    - start with one boat and one trailer if your budget is small
    - DO NOT get a turbo or any kind of carb unit (hard to find though) unless you are mechanically inclined
    - the higher power units need more maintenance (super charger oil, etc.) and will run high octane gas

Buying used will mean you will have to do some research into what to look for as far as physical checks, but here is an example of a deal up in Westlock:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-personal-wat...gts/1486319872
    Last edited by revelations; 02-11-2020 at 08:51 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea practicality may very well get in the way of the 300 I want, it’s just so hard to say no to a 0-60 of 3.6 that you can legally use on the water. Wowza. A 230 or less would probably suit me just fine though you are right. Hard to find used 300’s.

I am usually on the rent bandwagon for sure, and might even rent a boat a few weekends this summer ( might be a topic for another thread but where do you even rent a boat in Calgary? ), but we plan on being at the lake damn near every weekend all summer in addition to hopefully spending a few weeks out there for vacation so I’m pretty sure I can get my moneys worth versus renting in this case. But hey I’m sure everyone says that.

I have heard to avoid any of the ones with suspension like the plague, triples the effort needed to do any form of maintenance.

I feel like I like shopping for boats way more than I would like owning, but the seadoo seems like something I could actually enjoy. I’ve said I was going to buy one every summer for the past 3-4 years but something always got in the way, this summer seems free and clear so far haha.

Also I hate to say it but there is no way a 130k (aka a cheap one) Malibu is going to appreciate, I feel like those boats are something you buy and never speak of the fact that you spent that much on a boat ever again. Or make payments forever which is most people’s preference haha.
    Last edited by killramos; 02-11-2020 at 09:51 PM.

fact.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

The appreciation hinges on the exchange rate... if we ever see par again... that’s when you buy a boat!

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If used, get as few gizmos or features as possible. You're bang on about the suspension.

The Seadoo OPAS system (off power, paddle steering ) actually does help a little - thats why I went with the GTI 130.

It was cheap (paid something like 4k) , easy to work on and fast even up at our altitude. When we took it to sushwap lake, it suddenly found even MORE power.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’m definitely staying away from the sparks. The build quality on those would make a Tesla blush.

A lot of corners cut to get the cost down south of 10k new.

The new IBR system interests me, if only to save my marriage when the wife tries to park it in a slip lol.

fact.

Not sure we even launched our Sea-doo last year. While fun, now that were older, everyone prefers to boat.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Sea-doo's are fun for like 15 minutes.. Pretty limited things you can do with them, i'd really think about the purchase haha...

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Wakeboard boats don’t depreciate... at times they actually appreciate, it’s wild... I really wish I bought an x-star when they were $25k (used) fuck me if you can find any for less than $40k now
    Not in my experience - my family bought our Wakeboarding boat for around $100K and had trouble selling it or $35K 5-6 years later with very low hours in mint condition. In hindsight we should have bought used, especially with how little technology progresses in that field.

Had zero issues with it though. Everyone says boat ownership is a money pit but it really wasn't for us (beyond the initial outlay). Nothing ever broke the entire time we owned it and winterization, etc. is dead simple to do yourself. $100/mo or so for winter storage. If anything it's the gas those inefficient V8's guzzle that adds up.

Back to the OP - I have been down this road a few times before and for Seadoos, they are more of a rental item IMHO. Seadoos are fun for an hour or two every now and then but they are so limited in what you can do with them compared to a boat, and if you go chasing the wakes of boats on the lake for waves to jump you just end up pissing everyone off. We regularly had to stop our boat and signal people on Seadoos to GTFO because they were driving way too close to us while we had riders in the water that they couldn't see. They are not very pleasant to use in rough water and there aren't many well protected lakes around Calgary either.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-12-2020 at 11:22 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Hindsight is definitely 20/20 on this decision, considering what my MIL got for it I should have bought it, but it took 2 years being the cheapest boat on the market for to unload our Moomba. All the toys low hours great condition.

Bought a new lake place 6 months later, just couldn’t get away from the water lol

That said, because it was out in Kelowna and we relied on third party to do most of the work, that Boat was easily an 8k a year hit whether we used it or not. And it wasn’t working the last 4 times I was in Kelowna.
    Last edited by killramos; 02-12-2020 at 11:25 AM.

fact.

My Ride
    V8s

Have you considered a jet ski? Sea doos are fun for about 12 minutes, great for seniors and tooling around with your kids though. Stand up or nothing, IMO. Only downside is it’s a pretty niche market so not a huge used selection.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Haven’t even considered one no. Coles notes?

Pretty sure the acceleration on the 300 I want would kill the average senior citizen lol

fact.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast