Quantcast
anyone knows what this new Climate Action Incentive $444 is at the 2019 T4 return? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone knows what this new Climate Action Incentive $444 is at the 2019 T4 return?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not saying that there's any calculation error or that this isn't what was promised. I'm saying, if you believe a carbon tax is a good method to change peoples behaviour, then it has to be high enough that it causes paid, and there can be no rebates or reductions of that pain, or the behaviour will have no incentive to change. Just shuffling money around with a carbon tax is a method of wealth redistribution and NOT a credible environmental policy.
    We, and numerous economists, will agree to disagree re: the impact of a rebate-centric carbon tax.

Though they should have income capped it. My household doesn't need it...

My Ride
    4x4

47 minutes on hold to CRA yesterday...

No for whatever reason Okotoks and high river are not within the CMA - so yes we can get that extra 10% for rural on top. No they have no idea why Okotoks and high river are circled in blue but not shaded... Dunbow Rd to the south is the actual cutoff...

I'm not saying that there's any calculation error or that this isn't what was promised. I'm saying, if you believe a carbon tax is a good method to change peoples behaviour, then it has to be high enough that it causes paid, and there can be no rebates or reductions of that pain, or the behaviour will have no incentive to change. Just shuffling money around with a carbon tax is a method of wealth redistribution and NOT a credible environmental policy.
    i think the point of the rebate is that it still 'hits' the bigger emitters without punishing the average household. If you're a business or an individual/family that uses a lot of fossil fuels (multiple cars, big house to heat, etc) then there is still incentive to become more efficient because this $888 or whatever rebate still doesn't cover the entire tax you paid over the year.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    i think the point of the rebate is that it still 'hits' the bigger emitters without punishing the average household. If you're a business or an individual/family that uses a lot of fossil fuels (multiple cars, big house to heat, etc) then there is still incentive to become more efficient because this $888 or whatever rebate still doesn't cover the entire tax you paid over the year.
    That sounds like the theory. I'm not an economist or a climate scientist, so I have no way to prove if that's a sound theory or not. It doesn't align with my philosophy though.

I have a personal philosophical bias against any form of taxation rebate or refund. I think taxes should be simple and have a large enough personal exemption that the lowest income earners pay zero tax. Then simple brackets for the rest. I think I've been on that soapbox before. It's off-topic for this thread however.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Carbon tax = an interest free loan to the government

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Carbon tax = an interest free loan to the government
    That's the best you can come up with to trash this whole thing eh?

My Ride
    Silverado

That sounds like the theory. I'm not an economist or a climate scientist, so I have no way to prove if that's a sound theory or not. It doesn't align with my philosophy though.

I have a personal philosophical bias against any form of taxation rebate or refund. I think taxes should be simple and have a large enough personal exemption that the lowest income earners pay zero tax. Then simple brackets for the rest. I think I've been on that soapbox before. It's off-topic for this thread however.
    The government probably needed to hire 30 people to oversee the program. So that is a big win for the country!

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by A790 View Post
    We, and numerous economists, will agree to disagree re: the impact of a rebate-centric carbon tax.

Though they should have income capped it. My household doesn't need it...
    Why should they cap it?

Need is irrelevant unless the purpose of the program has nothing to do with reducing our carbon foot print and instead is a means to redistribute wealth.

444 = Die.
    888 = WIN!

My Ride
    Silverado

Alberta court of appeal has ruled the carbon tax is unconstitutional.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ourt-1.5473482

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I think it's pretty normal for these inter-governmental disputes to go quickly to supreme court.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
    47 minutes on hold to CRA yesterday...

No for whatever reason Okotoks and high river are not within the CMA - so yes we can get that extra 10% for rural on top. No they have no idea why Okotoks and high river are circled in blue but not shaded... Dunbow Rd to the south is the actual cutoff...
    That $88 is going towards Crispy Boys

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    444 = Die.
    888 = WIN!
    Im getting $666...

My Ride
    *The First*

I and numerous other like-minded professionals, will agree to wholeheartedly agree with ExtraSlow re: the impact of a rebate-centric carbon tax.

Though they should have income capped it and in other highly relevant news, my penis is so enormous that many many females have openly complained about it, and I literally own an exotic car from a place in southern Europe that nearly rhymes with literally.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    I and numerous other like-minded professionals, will agree to wholeheartedly agree with ExtraSlow re: the impact of a rebate-centric carbon tax.

Though they should have income capped it and in other highly relevant news, my penis is so enormous that many many females have openly complained about it, and I literally own an exotic car from a place in southern Europe that nearly rhymes with literally.
    Username checks out.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

so There is no earnings limit, correct?

Turbo Tax did not change anything me.

I’ll try it again, anyone else having issues claiming?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Summer car or work truck

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    so There is no earnings limit, correct?

Turbo Tax did not change anything me.

I’ll try it again, anyone else having issues claiming?
    No earning limits. Only one person per household can claim it. Not sure if you have more than one person linked to your filing or if Turbo Tax would catch that. Wife used turbo tax, worked for her. I used SimpleTax and would have worked for me. Wife beat me to it though.

My Ride
    Silverado

what form do I need to fill out?

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    I was so surprised the Liberal's didn't put an income cap on this. It is not often you get anything extra from the government so I will take it as well. Although, the money is coming from somewhere, and it is the businesses that are paying the carbon tax with no refund so you know eventually you will be paying all of that out in some fashion.
    It's a flat rebate, so the people that make more still pay more, since the higher your income the more you spend on goods and services affected by carbon tax in the first place. This is a blatant wealth redistribution scheme. And apparently a lot of people are falling for it all these high income earners think they're actually getting something from the government. This is like having a thief steal your wallet at gunpoint, and then thanking him when he hands you back 10$ of your own money from the wallet.

My Ride
    370Z duhh

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    what form do I need to fill out?
    Are you being serious right now?!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast