Quantcast
Whats your travel/vacation budget? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you budget/spend on vacations annually?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero - I don't travel or vacation

1 0.99%
  • $1000 - $3000

11 10.89%
  • $3000 - $6000

26 25.74%
  • $6000 to $10,000

24 23.76%
  • More than $10,000

25 24.75%
  • Don't know - I don't budget or keep track of vacation spending

14 13.86%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your travel/vacation budget?

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We're considering booking this place for a week or two this summer.

https://www.vrbo.com/en-ca/cottage-r...ure=2020-07-03
    Best Safeway in the city! None better!
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    rally pig

depends on the duration of travel/vacation as well.
    good on you if you can budget 2000-3000$ budget for a week vacation, bad if only for a long-weekend trip

we plan for 2-3 weeks of vacation per year and I would say our budget is around 5000-7000$ per year that includes transportation, lodging and meal.
    might slightly go up now though since there's 3 of us.

My Ride
    VTAKK

Quote Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
    We're considering booking this place for a week or two this summer.

https://www.vrbo.com/en-ca/cottage-r...ure=2020-07-03

I find the older I have become the less I desire I have to travel and especially abroad. I seem to get far more enjoyment out just exploring hidden gems in Alberta, there's so much here that I still haven't seen or explored as much as I would've liked yet.

I find I have less and less patience with respect to the whole aspect of flying somewhere, so much so that I am willing to give up wonderful destinations and experiences just to avoid the logistics of getting there.

Even a day trip has value to me, last summer - a day trip to Drumheller to enjoy some dirt racing and a dinner afterwards. Last summer, day trip to the Manyberries badlands - will repeat this year. Even the drive is worth it because of the landscape and history one can stumble upon.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    I find the older I have become the less I desire I have to travel and especially abroad. I seem to get far more enjoyment out just exploring hidden gems in Alberta, there's so much here that I still haven't seen or explored as much as I would've liked yet.

I find I have less and less patience with respect to the whole aspect of flying somewhere, so much so that I am willing to give up wonderful destinations and experiences just to avoid the logistics of getting there.

Even a day trip has value to me, last summer - a day trip to Drumheller to enjoy some dirt racing and a dinner afterwards. Last summer, day trip to the Manyberries badlands - will repeat this year. Even the drive is worth it because of the landscape and history one can stumble upon.
    Even after travelling to ~115 countries I'm becoming a bit like this as well. I hate how travel has changed over the last decade due to social media and the convenience of travel (online booking, translation apps, American food/product availability, etc.). The challenge of getting around and cultural experiences had along the way were what made travel so fun for me. It feels like everything is just set-up now for locals to make money off people who just want to take some selfies in 'grammable place while enjoying the conveniences of home.

I'm trying to focus more on adventures now - whether in my own 'backyard' or remote places that aren't seen on Instagram. Also doing my best to reduce my carbon imprint, though it's not always easy.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Our last trip to Europe we budgeted like crazy, more than I ever have (well my other half did). Surprisingly the online calculator we used was pretty accurate so if you're wanting a good estimate it's helpful. https://www.budgetyourtrip.com/
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post

This touches on a fear of mine - first world fear I guess. Now that there's a kiddo in the picture it makes travel...different and difficult as someone else mentioned earlier to the point where it becomes more work than its worth. Only now starting to realize how little of the world I've seen. There's still tons of far off places I dream of visiting but those hopes are being put on the backburner until the little one can travel better or can be left with the grandparents. I'm not sure when that'll be. Perhaps in another 5 years or more. But I'm afraid with time I'll lose the wanderlust or become too jaded or tired to make treks around the world.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Even after travelling to ~115 countries I'm becoming a bit like this as well. I hate how travel has changed over the last decade due to social media and the convenience of travel (online booking, translation apps, American food/product availability, etc.). The challenge of getting around and cultural experiences had along the way were what made travel so fun for me. It feels like everything is just set-up now for locals to make money off people who just want to take some selfies in 'grammable place while enjoying the conveniences of home.

I'm trying to focus more on adventures now - whether in my own 'backyard' or remote places that aren't seen on Instagram. Also doing my best to reduce my carbon imprint, though it's not always easy.
    YouTube has made travel less fun.

Traveling around the world to see something I just watched in 4k .. Reduces the appeal.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I find that I'm not interested in "seeing the sights" anywhere I travel. I want either a) to meet interesting people, b) to relax somewhere interesting or c) to immerse myself in an experience I can't get at home.

Some of my favourite travel memories have been sitting in "everyday" restaurants or bars, watching the daily lives of the locals and soaking in the atmosphere. The internet and the million hours of travel television on streaming services means that "special" things aren't actually that special anymore.

Lots of local options for that type of experience too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I find that I'm not interested in "seeing the sights" anywhere I travel. I want either a) to meet interesting people, b) to relax somewhere interesting or c) to immerse myself in an experience I can't get at home.

Some of my favourite travel memories have been sitting in "everyday" restaurants or bars, watching the daily lives of the locals and soaking in the atmosphere. The internet and the million hours of travel television on streaming services means that "special" things aren't actually that special anymore.

Lots of local options for that type of experience too.
    Or food

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post

Traveling around the world to see something I just watched in 4k .. Reduces the appeal.
    You can't exactly taste a 4K video but I get what you mean. There's less intrigue in visiting in a new place when there's google maps street view and 4K videos of every location. But that's kinda like saying I don't like to watch movies because the entire storyline of every movie is revealed online. The engagement into the culture is what sets apart a memorable experience from a passive viewer. Takes a lot of travel to become a good traveler and extract the most out of your experience. I'm still far from being the traveler I want to be.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Or food
    Unique local food is pretty cool.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I’ll settle for sitting next to a pool somewhere the weather is better than Calgary where someone keeps bringing me alcohol.

My bar is very very low
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Honestly, the "big sites" are often better in 4k. These days they're often full of garbage, idiots, and touts. That said, there are still a lot of undiscovered places that make for amazing experiences - you often don't need to go far from home to discover them though. Even small towns in and around Calgary can offer some pretty unique experiences, not to mention all of the great nature Western Canada has to offer (you can't even legally go camping in Spain outside of the parking lot style campgrounds).

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Honestly, the "big sites" are often better in 4k. These days they're often full of garbage, idiots, and touts.
    Just an example, if you want to see Mayan ruins near Cancun, everyone suggests Chitzen Itza. And yes, it's amazing, but it's absolutely packed for most of the day, and it's pretty much one big gift shop too. Right in the Hotel Zone in Cancun, there's a very small and very cheap set of Mayan ruins at "el Rey" and it's deserted. It's walking distance from some of the hotels, and a five minute cab ride from the rest. Like $1 to get in, and when we were there, I think we saw less than a dozen people. It's a much smaller site, but you can explore at your own pace, and honestly, I enjoyed it more.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    May nickle and dime trying to get there. Once there, don't care.
    +1

Will try to balance cost effectiveness and comfort getting there but always try to take the most direct route as possible. No way am I taking 3 layovers just to save a couple hundred bucks.

Once there, more likely to spend additional money on things I hadn't originally budgeted for.

I typically like to keep it under 5g per person but I haven't really travelled much. Most expensive trip was a 3 week Trafalgar tour through northern Europe + half week stay in London.

In my limited experience, solid planning and research can reduce travel expenses significantly.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

$3k-6k annually pretty much sums up the past decade for us. The only exception would be the year we spent $7k in Maui, because we paid for a friend to join us.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    $3k-6k annually pretty much sums up the past decade for us. The only exception would be the year we spent $7k in Maui, because we paid for a friend to join us.

YouTube has made travel less fun.Traveling around the world to see something I just watched in 4k .. Reduces the appeal.
    Because asia was costing us so much we wanted to make the most of it and after spending months watching videos of basically everything before we did it there was no real major surprises or excitement. We also stressed ourselves out a bit because we had a list of the must do's/eats and there wasnt enough time lol

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    This touches on a fear of mine - first world fear I guess. Now that there's a kiddo in the picture it makes travel...different and difficult as someone else mentioned earlier to the point where it becomes more work than its worth. Only now starting to realize how little of the world I've seen. There's still tons of far off places I dream of visiting but those hopes are being put on the backburner until the little one can travel better or can be left with the grandparents. I'm not sure when that'll be. Perhaps in another 5 years or more. But I'm afraid with time I'll lose the wanderlust or become too jaded or tired to make treks around the world.
    Traveling is definitely different/difficult with young kids but that doesnt mean you should wait unless you know you got a lil shit of a kid haha. I dont know what your parents/inlaws are like but we've done a couple trips with ours and it was an awesome experience because we had family time and every now and then the gp's would offer to babysit while we went out on our own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    Traveling is definitely different/difficult with young kids but that doesnt mean you should wait unless you know you got a lil shit of a kid haha. I dont know what your parents/inlaws are like but we've done a couple trips with ours and it was an awesome experience because we had family time and every now and then the gp's would offer to babysit while we went out on our own.

Agree. We did a big trip (Europe. 2.5 weeks. 3 cities) with our 8 month old last year and it was great. We did everything we wanted to and didn't feel like we missed out on anything as long as we were realistic with our expectations. If anything, having the little one with us made the trip way more memorable, especially when looking back at the pictures.

That said, my wife and I went to Vegas without the baby a few weeks later and that was also amazing lol... we felt so freeee

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast