Quantcast
Whats your travel/vacation budget? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you budget/spend on vacations annually?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero - I don't travel or vacation

1 0.99%
  • $1000 - $3000

11 10.89%
  • $3000 - $6000

26 25.74%
  • $6000 to $10,000

24 23.76%
  • More than $10,000

25 24.75%
  • Don't know - I don't budget or keep track of vacation spending

14 13.86%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats your travel/vacation budget?

Default Whats your travel/vacation budget?

One of the biggest chunks of expenses for me. Granted there's going to be differences whether you're roughing it solo living out of a backpack or taking luxury vacations with the family but curious to see the range of responses and everyone's perspectives.
    Last edited by Manhattan; 02-12-2020 at 10:54 AM.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

12 weeks of vacation is usually what I need and costs a lot. Well over the poll.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    12 weeks of vacation is usually what I need and costs a lot. Well over the poll.
    Ok Baller.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Depends if I consider day trips to auto x/Castrol etc as travel and vacation. $1000-3000 if not, $3000+ if I include costs to go racing.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Ok Baller.
    Sometimes I take the hippy bus and 12 weeks costs me $2k

My Ride
    This and that.

I am the last one. I don't keep track.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Point is, who gives a fuck about the budget. Everyone deserves time off. A good vacation can be had for next to nothing other than the sacrifice of missing work. (If you have to sit at a desk to work)

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I don't keep track personally, but it is less about the total money spent, but more on how it is spent.
    I like to be smart with money spending, so trying to find deals on something I'm already planning to do helps a lot. A little pre-planning if possible goes a long way.

You would be amazed how many people don't do this and they easily spend 20% or more because of the "who cares about planning, I just want to have a good time when I'm there" mentality.
    That $1-2k I saved here and there gives me more fun at the Blackjack table or a couple more "free" dinners.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s really not that hard to go over 10k in travel in an individual trip, let alone a year these days. Esp if you have kids.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Most of our trips are $3-5K each (for everything, including flight, food, accommodation, activities) for the 2-3 week duration and then it goes down from there as you get into the cheaper (and closer) destinations like Florida, California, Hawaii, Caribbean, etc.

People with larger families though can easily spend close to $10K just for the flights if you're going far away.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

The brackets seem low for beyond’s demographic

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    Yeah come on guys we need to pump these egos some more. Think all these ballers in aspen are spending less than $20k on vacations keeping up with the Jones’s? Come on!

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    It’s really not that hard to go over 10k in travel in an individual trip, let alone a year these days. Esp if you have kids.
    Yeah definitly not hard if it's for the whole year and for the whole family. Even a modest weekend getaway to Vegas with the wife is at least $3K ($1K flight, $500 hotel, $500 food, $1K gamble/shows/entertainment. 1.35 exchange rate doesn't help)

I am curious on how often people do small trips (e.g. weekend getaway to Vancouver/Vegas/NY) vs week long trips (e.g all inclusive mexico) vs long trips (e.g 2 weeks in Asia / Europe).
    Last edited by RX_EVOLV; 02-12-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post

I am curious on how often people do small trips (e.g. weekend getaway to Vancouver/Vegas/NY) vs week long trips (e.g all inclusive mexico) vs long trips (e.g 2 weeks in Asia / Europe).
    For us it's 2 big trips a year (2-3 weeks per trip and far away) and 2-3 small trips for a week or less (Banff, Victoria, all inclusive, Disney World, Phoenix, etc.) There's only 2 of us but I feel like we travel pretty cheaply. Honestly the biggest money saver has been transitioning from Hotels to AirBnbs. In most of the places we've been, ~$100/nt in an AirBnb gets you a much nicer, cleaner and much bigger piece of property than a $400-500/nt hotel room. Once we started doing that, our trip costs were dramatically reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by gpomp View Post
    I did consider higher brackets but looking at the poll results so far the answers are spread pretty evenly with $3 to 6K being the 2nd most popular choice.

I also feel like if you're going over $10K on vacations annually there's a high probability that you're balling enough to the point where the cost isn't really an issue or you just don't really care about cost. Either way it wasn't the intent of this poll. I was more interested in understanding how beyonders budget and perceive value from their travel spending.

Quote Originally Posted by RX_EVOLV View Post
    Yeah definitly not hard if it's for the whole year and for the whole family. Even a modest weekend getaway to Vegas with the wife is at least $3K ($1K flight, $500 hotel, $500 food, $1K gamble/shows/entertainment. 1.35 exchange rate doesn't help)

I try to do the exact opposite of small weekend trips. Especially Vegas I prefer to do the Sunday thru Thursday schedule. Way cheaper flights, hotels, and just about everything else. Less crowds too. But I'm also pretty done with Vegas. The places within a day's drive of Vegas like Zion or Grand Canyon are far more interesting. Also a weekend trip just feels too rushed to me. Outside of travel days (granted its a short flight but travel days nonetheless) you really only have a day or two at your destination.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Depends on the year. When I'm doing field projects and have a set rotation I tend to travel tomorrow. A week off at a time makes for easy trips down to the US and such. Office life is harder to take time away.

This year I think it's:

• March - 4 days in LA ~1200$ including flights, hotel, food, and music festival tickets
    • May - 7 days in Mexico ~1500$ all inclusive plus whatever for tips and excursions
    • July - 7 days in southern BC ~1500$ festival tickets, gas, food, booze. Maybe more if I buy some artwork there this year
    • August - Hopefully can land burning man tickets again but unsure if that'll happen. Around 2k$ if it works out
    • December - 21 days in Argentina/Chile/Peru ~ No clue, likely 5k$ or higher since I'm going solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    I try to do the exact opposite of small weekend trips. Especially Vegas I prefer to do the Sunday thru Thursday schedule. Way cheaper flights, hotels, and just about everything else. Less crowds too. But I'm also pretty done with Vegas. The places within a day's drive of Vegas like Zion or Grand Canyon are far more interesting. Also a weekend trip just feels too rushed to me. Outside of travel days (granted its a short flight but travel days nonetheless) you really only have a day or two at your destination.
    That works if your schedule can accommodate it. But if I'm taking 4 days off work for Sun-Thurs it's gonna cost me way more than paying more up front for a Fri-Mon trip.
    Last edited by pheoxs; 02-12-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Over $10k is not really crazy with a family of 4 or more if you wanna fly anywhere, even Cancun is $2500P now. We did Asia last july for a month and that was by far the most ive ever spent, all in it was around $26k, flights alone were almost $10kfor us
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    ute

Opportunity cost of being away far exceeds the credit card bill.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Benefit of being away far exceeds the credit card bill.
    agree
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast