Quantcast
Options for upgrading electronic features in older car? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Options for upgrading electronic features in older car?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Options for upgrading electronic features in older car?

I have a Toyota Highlander from 2012 and a Kia Forte from 2014. Do the car manufacturers provide any option to upgrade features of your car when newer features become avaliable or do they just expect people to trade in and buy a new car for 40K in some cases?

I dont think that much could be done with my highlander but I wouldnt mind some replacement wing mirrors with that blindspot detection built in.

Neither of my cars came with carplay but they both have "ipod/apple usb ports" - it would be nice if the software in either car could be upgraded to wired carplay, i would certaintly take that feature that buying a new car.

a lot of companies make aftermarket dongles to retrofit carplay. Can't comment on Toyota/Kia, but for my older 2013 Audi, i got an aftermarket head unit that replaced the OEM screen and gave me carplay (wired and wireless).

They also had options for a standalone dongle that integrated carplay into the OEM head unit/system, but i went for the whole thing as i wanted the bigger 10" screen instead of the factory 7".

i would think there are options for Toyotas and Kias too. Might want to check Toyota/Kia specific forums to see if you can find something. I found out about the one i got from an Audi forum.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It’s called an aftermarket head unit.

To answer your question, no, no oem offers that. Yes they want you to buy a new car.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

We get these requests alot at the dealership. After getting a quote, the customer ends up regretting not getting a fully loaded model.....simply answer if you want an OEM integration/install, how much money do you have?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Lots of times when the difference between the models is just a refresh, you can retrofit. An example of this is with the 2019 Ram radios vs older models. The '19 models were new hardward with android auto/car play. You could retrofit the head unit into <18MY trucks for a couple thousand bucks.

Its usually expensive to retrofit until you can find a wrecked vehicle being parted because of dealer mark up but when compared to depreciation, can be a viable option for just a feature or two.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Well for my kia it is the fully loaded option.

I can’t even imagine what an after market head unit would look like for my Toyota Highlander.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s cars had that rectangler slot that all after market head units fit

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Some cars it's possible. I know my ford it's not too difficult to add features after the fact, as long as they were available at the time of manufacturing. Otherwise ya, no manufacturer is going to support a vehicle longer than required.

Hell, Mercedes shops look at you like you're a fricking alien when you try to get a replacement key fob and your car is off warranty.
    Nevermind trying to get your 80's car-fone activated.

Quote Originally Posted by nzwasp View Post
    Well for my kia it is the fully loaded option.

I can’t even imagine what an after market head unit would look like for my Toyota Highlander.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s cars had that rectangler slot that all after market head units fit
    the custom ones actually look really nice. the one i got for my Audi Q5 looks very OEM (RSNAV). In my case it doesn't actually replace the radio or anything - it's basically just replacing the screen with an android tablet, then piping the sound through the existing Aux sound output. Quite clever the way they did it actually as it lets me keep my existing Audi interface and control systems.

It looks like 4x4shop has a nice retrofit option for 2012 highlander including an option for carplay:
    https://4x4shop.ca/product/2008-2013...imedia-system/

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea I had a pretty ballin Alpine unit put in my Jeep, wasn’t cheap but it was a massive upgrade. Nicer than the brand new OEM screen in my GMC for sure.

In general retrofits are not worth the money though
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by e31 View Post
    Hell, Mercedes shops look at you like you're a fricking alien when you try to get a replacement key fob and your car is off warranty.
    Nevermind trying to get your 80's car-fone activated.
    hahaha.... Lonestar wanted about 1000$ for this (however, the price is typical MB).

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    the custom ones actually look really nice. the one i got for my Audi Q5 looks very OEM (RSNAV). In my case it doesn't actually replace the radio or anything - it's basically just replacing the screen with an android tablet, then piping the sound through the existing Aux sound output. Quite clever the way they did it actually as it lets me keep my existing Audi interface and control systems.

It looks like 4x4shop has a nice retrofit option for 2012 highlander including an option for carplay:
    https://4x4shop.ca/product/2008-2013...imedia-system/
    I would never overpay for anything from 4x4shop. Just cut out the middle man markup and buy it direct from AliExpress yourself.